Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 04:33 PM

4 posts, read 8,487 times

Advertisements

Hello! I find myself caught in a very interesting situation and would welcome different perspectives on the issue.

I currently work for Company A. I have been with Company A just short of two years, although in my industry for a total of 14 years. Company A is currently in the process of preparing to sell with final sale to have taken place before the end of second quarter 2012. I have no issues with the firm, enjoy working with senior management, my boss and fellow peers. The type of work that I do is relatively stable for my industry. I also have the flexibility to work remotely from home (i.e., never having to step foot in the office - ever!), and no travel requirements. However...my long term career with Company A is up in the air as we get closer to the sale and I am not certain if I will have the flexibility to work from home this time next year (this perk is extremely important as we have a young child with plans to expand the family by one more in the very near future).

I was contacted by a headhunter for an opportunity with Company B. I was not actively looking, but thought it would be wise to "see what is out there". Company B is a global consulting firm - far more stable outlook in the foreseeable future when I look at their financials. Position is a consultant, providing technical expertise to domestic clients. I received an offer, negotiated minimal travel, work from home, a 12% pay increase. I would be working with a world-class team of folks with dynamic backgrounds and a chance to experience life as a consultant.

After much consideration (and many sleepless nights), I accepted the position with Company B, mainly because the company offered more stability.

Here's my dilemma...

I resigned with Company A. Company A came back with a counteroffer. While they couldn't guarantee me stability after the sale, they could bump my salary up by about 12%. Money was not ever an issue for me, as I was relatively content with my position. I truly enjoyed working for my boss, was comfortable in my environment, and wasn't looking for change. After additional thought, I accepted the counteroffer, understanding and accepting the professional consequences for such a decision.

When I approached Company B to advise them that I would be rescinding my acceptance, I was met with: "What can we do to bring you on board?" Completely not what I was expecting. I have twice delayed a start date so that I have more time to think and process.

What to do? I have two companies that are offering me the same package (Company B has a slightly higher base salary, but not by much. The annual pay by performance bonus is 20% as opposed to 10%.). Health benefits are a wash. 401K is a wash. Vacation is a wash.

I am humbled at having this opportunity when I wasn't searching. However, I am at a loss, want to burn as few bridges as possible in this process and just want to come to a decision.

Any thoughts out there? Company A or Company B? Am I shooting myself in the foot by staying with Company A or going to Company B?

Thanks for reading!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 04:58 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,936,007 times
I'm confused: you decided to go to company B b/c they offered the stability that Company A can't offer you. Company A still can't offer you that stability nor can they guarantee working from home (like B apparently can). So why did you rescind your acceptance with Company B to stay with Company A?

Old 07-15-2011, 05:21 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
Stay with company A, there are no issues there, and they are giving you a counter offer to stay. That is GOLD. You don't know about the sharks and sociopaths out there, who just like to screw with people's jobs...if you don't have one where you currently work, stay there. I moved for more money, and ended with with a psycho co-worker, back stabbing...it is ruthless and miserable to work here...don't leave a good thing, you never know what you might jump into...all things being equal...stay.

Old 07-15-2011, 06:27 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
I'm confused: you decided to go to company B b/c they offered the stability that Company A can't offer you. Company A still can't offer you that stability nor can they guarantee working from home (like B apparently can). So why did you rescind your acceptance with Company B to stay with Company A?
I agree with this. There is a reason you first accepted the offer from company B and you said it really wasn't about money. So why would you then go back to company A for money (not even more than company B) when you initial issues have not been resolved?

Consider yourself extremely lucky that company B is willing to up the offer. If you can get that you really hit the jackpot.

Old 07-15-2011, 08:56 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,939,818 times
Part of the sale of Company A may be contingent on their current employees. They may be promising the moon, but you have NO idea what the new owner(s) will require/allow.

I'd say go with Company B - the offer with Company A may not be fully legitimate.

Old 07-16-2011, 06:17 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,018,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
That puzzled me as well ... As much as you enjoy working for company A, they cannot offer you any stability ... What happens when you are laid off months later after opting to stay with Company A?

Old 07-17-2011, 07:58 AM

2,287 posts, read 2,587,871 times
Company B for sure. I used to run my own company and was a VP in another and if an employee left us for another company the only time we would counter to keep them was to give us time to replace them.

You have shown your loyalty to Company A, the counter offer is their doing what they can to protect their own interests, coming up to the sale.

Quitting is rarely about $$, you have said that yourself. You got what you wanted, don't think twice, leave now and go to Company B.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:09 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
I don't know why you have a dilemma. Company B. A no-brainer! Good luck.

Old 07-17-2011, 03:22 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,427,673 times
Never take a counter-offer. Study after study always show that the results are typically bad down then road.

Old 07-18-2011, 07:26 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,764,276 times
So loooking at it purely from logic, since you left A to go to B with more stability, why would you even give a second's thought to staying with A for the same basic pay as B was offering? I could maybe see if you really liked being at A and they offered you a 20 or 30% bump or maybe even somethign like the 12% bump and a contract for 18 months with some type of negotiated severance if the new company does not keep you. Otherwise, as has been pointed out, early next year you might have made the same amount as you would have with B, but be looking for work in an economy which may or may not be any better than now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment