U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Labor Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-19-2011, 10:02 PM

8 posts, read 32,791 times
Default 90-Day Review/Pay Raise?

Basically I got a job a few months back working for an e-commerce retailer focusing on inventory and data control, etc. The range was $10-$14 an hour and they started me at $12 even though I made $15 in my last position, basically on the precedent that even though I had a couple years of experience doing a lot of the same work I didn't have experience using their software for shopping carts and order/inventory management (3DCart, Blackthorne, Stone Edge, Seller Central, etc.). It's a pretty small business, about eight employees. I was a little disappointed at the offer, but it seemed like a good opportunity to get into the e-commerce industry and learn given they had generated over $3M in sales for 2010.

After starting during my first few weeks the owner had mentioned that he's sorry he had to start me low but that we'd discuss a pay raise after my probation period (90-days) and to just work hard and learn as much as I can to become "invaluable" to them. I've worked my butt off like any diligent new employee, learning the ins and outs of their business model and software and have gotten nothing but compliments regarding my ability to catch on quickly and bring in/save the company revenue. I've now been here almost 4 months (got my medical and etc. set up) and the owner hasn't approached me at all about any type of review or pay raise.

Would it be out of line to approach him about this? I feel like with the only argument being my lack of knowledge in these fairly easy to use and pick-up programs and shopping cart tools, now that I've pretty much mastered them I should be making towards the top of the range at least given my experience level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 04:29 PM

94 posts, read 144,469 times
The company now see's that you will work hard at this rate of pay so why give you more?

You could speak with the manager about it, but I would keep my resume updated and find another offer first just in case.

The company knows, this is a tough economy and they know you need a job just like the next person. If you secure another job that will pay you what you are worth then go to the manager. Ask about the increase in your hourly rate but don't tell the manager about the new job under no circumstances.

Good Luck

Old 07-20-2011, 06:16 PM

4,806 posts, read 10,883,273 times
My experience with this type of thing is, they may make promises, but they aren't going to fulfill them unless you hold them to it. They aren't going to give away money without a little nudging. So you can't sit around waiting for them to come to you, you've got to go to them. Schedule an appointment with your boss and then sit down and talk about it. Be prepared to review how much you've accomplished in your few months there, as well as what you brought to the table from the beginning, that earned you more pay at your previous job.

But you have to consider what you will do if they decline to give you a raise. Are you willing to stay, or will you go elsewhere, if they keep you at $12?

Old 07-20-2011, 08:30 PM

8 posts, read 19,409 times
Kodaka gives you good advice. It would be a mistake for you to let this pass without saying something. Definitely schedule an appointment for your review and be prepared to support your request for a raise. I hope you have kept the written "atta boy" emails or documented verbal praise you mention in your message. If not, start a "my folder" and put notes in there going forward whenever you've accomplished something or received recognition. You'll have this at your finger tips when you need it. Also, just a thought - did your boss say the probation period was 90 days or are you assuming it's 90 days? Good luck. I know you'll do well.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:43 AM

8 posts, read 32,791 times
Yes, it was made very clear that the probationary period is 90 days.

I will likely schedule something and at least ask about it, as you guys have posted. The worst he can do is say no I guess, in which case I would likely just look for another job as that in my eyes would speak fairly badly of his character and his ability to keep his word. There isn't really many opportunities for growth in such a small company anyways, besides just personally gaining knowledge of the industry and how a small e-commerce company operates.

Old 07-21-2011, 07:00 AM

1,837 posts, read 3,564,761 times
Agree with others on taking the initiative to setup the meeting. There could be a variety of reasons why they haven't set this up yet. But you sitting around and waiting isn't going to help your situation.

Also - this is just my .02 - and I'm not disputing you in any way since I don't know anything about you to do so. But the brief description of how you've down so far is a mixture of "opinion" ("working your butt off"), and actual accomplishments (saving the company money). To me, everyone is certainly entitled to their opinions, but its the actual 'documentable' accomplishment that gets you what you want.

I read on here all the time how people are upset because they feel they've been "working hard", but they are not recognized/rewarded. The issues with those comments is that they are only relative. They still matter, but at a minimum, clear expectations/goals should be set so it can be effectively tracked and performance gauged against that.

When you do have that meeting setup - I'd bring those 'facts' to the table to better illustrate what you've done in the past 90+ days. And to avoid this issue at your annual - I'd also make sure expectations and goals are established so you know exactly what is being asked of you.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:36 PM

1 posts, read 11,237 times
My fiance has been workin for a temp service for about 2or 3months,then the company actuually hired him full time thru them.after 90days,he only got a 25cent raise but has been working his ass off an even doin somewhat alil more upper position then being just an operator.an his total time with the company is 9months,so my question is,was all his work just worth 25cent raise? And since they kind of upped his position,shouldn't he automatically get better pay for that postion? And how often are regular raises?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment