Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 10:18 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times

Advertisements

Noticed a story in our local paper about a guy that was trying to get a job at the golf course.He was a high school kid at the time. Everyday he would stop by and fill out an application at the course. By the end of a month the course manager called him in. He told him that he had a stack of applications for this one job and about a 1/3 of them were from him. They didn't give him the job but did create a job for him. It was a nothing job that gave him the chance to learn. Over the years this kid moved his way up. He would take any opportunity to learn anything at the course. Eventually he was asked if he wanted to learn how to maintain a golf course. After working there a while he decided to get a degree in course management. He went back to school while working and completed his education. He was hired at another course but after a few years came back to his favorite golf course. They just made him manager over the course this last month. How is that for persistance.

For those that are looking are you willing to do something like this? Are you willing to devote your energy into getting that one dream job? Have any of you tried something similar?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 12:46 PM

398 posts, read 1,365,664 times
That's a fairly typical "working your way to the top" story... many people on this forum and elsewhere, have similar stories of how hard they worked since they were 15 years old, worked thru college to earn their bachelor's degree, then worked entry level until they got promoted to a management / executive level.

Only thing "special" about this story is that this teen has an obsession with working at a golf course.
Perhaps he refused to apply at Mcdonald's or as a supermarket stockboy to singularly pursue his "dream" job.

Choosing a career in golf course management isn't going to guarantee his lifetime employment if the golf course closes so let's hope life doesn't throw him a curve ball... because then he will have the typical "fall from the top" story like so many others as well.

I have no problem commending such persistence, but this is hardly unique.

Old 07-21-2011, 03:10 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,523,480 times
Keep in mind that you were talking about a teen, not an adult. Adults might have a marriage, family, elderly parents, health issues, and a myriad of other things that may prevent them from "following their dream." I find the story a bit, "naive" and unrealistic for many people struggling in this economy.

Old 07-21-2011, 03:37 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
Are you kidding me? Golf Courses closing? We hardly have the amount of courses that we need. As far as persistance I see a lot of people trying to get a job but few that have the attitude that this guy had. So what if he was just a kid when he started his carreer. Lots of college age kids here on this forum just starting out. Still even if someone had a family and other responsibilities it still happens when someone follows their dream and make things happen. What we have is 95% of people that just dont make the effort to make their dreams happen. 5% of people will stand up to the plate and do what ever it takes to make their dream a reality. The remainder either give up or settle for less.

Naive, how many of the readers here will go to an employer and say that they will work for free to prove to the company that they can do the job. I remember reading about people that would do that years ago. How many here will spend a little time showing an employer that they are willing to do what it takes to work for them. That they will learn everything that they can about the company and the industry just to get a job there. Is it naive to think that someone even if they are married would do something like this? We are talking about people that may be out of work. I didn't think it mattered if someone was out of work and needing something to do. If they are going to take care of their family members wouldn't it be better to have a job or some means of supporting themselves?

Old 07-21-2011, 03:49 PM

398 posts, read 1,365,664 times
Why are you assuming people on this forum haven't worked hard in their lives?

That guy's job is replaceable for various reasons.
Being a golf course manager is not more difficult or superior to other jobs where many have worked hard to achieve their status as well.

Getting laid off involves change in ownerships, downsizing, wanting cheaper employees or maybe a relative is being hired.
There aren't many jobs for golf course managers in the help wanted sections.
I'm not critisizing him for his choice of career, simply that he hasn't done anything special in his life that millions of other Americans haven't done in their own careers.

Every teenager I grew up with did internships and volunteer work.
I applied to MANY different jobs because I was willing to accept ANY job to get experience along with internships.
I don't see how my early experiences or that of many others is inferior to a teenager who seemingly ONLY applied to the same job again and again.

If this guy was laid off at middle-age with a family, I seriously doubt he would be commended for applying to the same job that rejected him over & over again instead of COMPROMISING and taking a different job away from his "dream."
If he pursued a "dream job" as an unemployed middle-aged man for no money, that means he will need to collect unemployment benefits to support himself... something tells me you are against that.

I know many people applying to many jobs along with multiple applications to their favorites "just in case" their resumes were "misplaced."
Most people applying for jobs ARE pretty persistent.

This post of yours isn't about persistence which all of us agree is important.
You appear to be using that story condescendingly as if the rest of us haven't been as persistent and hardworking as that "golf manager" in our own careers.

Last edited by raymond2; 07-21-2011 at 04:41 PM..

Old 07-21-2011, 04:08 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,267,934 times
I sent resumes to one place every three months for four years before I landed a position there. I stayed for a very long time, more than twice as long as it took me to get in. Definitely worth it.

Old 07-21-2011, 04:15 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,523,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymond2 View Post
Why are you assuming people on this forum haven't worked hard in their lives?
Yeah really now. And not all hard work (grunt work) gets rewarded. In fact, not all "smart" work gets rewarded either, as countless corporate layoffs, mergers, and take overs demonstrate.

Quote:
If this guy was laid off at middle-age with a family, I seriously doubt he would be commended for applying to the same job that rejected him over & over again instead of COMPROMISING and taking a different job away from his "dream."
If he pursued a "dream job" as an unemployed middle-aged man for no money, that means he will need to collect unemployment benefits to support himself... something tells me you are against that.
That's my point exactly (ref. to bolded section).
As an adult who has been long term unemployed (1 year or more), who in their right mind can afford to work for free? You think the typical employer of today in this economy would start paying a free worker? Why pay when you've already had the cow for free. It was good when getting college credits for internships to compensate for lack of experience. In today's real world...NOT.

Old 07-21-2011, 04:26 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Noticed a story in our local paper about a guy that was trying to get a job at the golf course.He was a high school kid at the time. Everyday he would stop by and fill out an application at the course. By the end of a month the course manager called him in. He told him that he had a stack of applications for this one job and about a 1/3 of them were from him. They didn't give him the job but did create a job for him. It was a nothing job that gave him the chance to learn. Over the years this kid moved his way up. He would take any opportunity to learn anything at the course. Eventually he was asked if he wanted to learn how to maintain a golf course. After working there a while he decided to get a degree in course management. He went back to school while working and completed his education. He was hired at another course but after a few years came back to his favorite golf course. They just made him manager over the course this last month. How is that for persistance.

For those that are looking are you willing to do something like this? Are you willing to devote your energy into getting that one dream job? Have any of you tried something similar?
There is a great book out there called "The Go-Getter". It was written in the early 1900's so it is kind of a difficult read for some people, but it pretty much says the same thing.

There is a great story about a man named Edwin C. Barnes who was determined to be an associate of Thomas Edison. He would not take no for an answer. He started out in a lowly position with the Edison company and ended up being AN ASSOCIATE.

Having a burning desire to achieve is a very important component to success. IMHO.

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-21-2011, 04:29 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,906,017 times
Sometimes it does. Anyone know someone who kept applying at the same company and finally got hired? I know several.

Old 07-21-2011, 05:28 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,630,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post

The day's of going to some workplace and filling out an application are long gone, and I suspect if you tried to do it more than once at the same place you'd fine yourself saying:

Don't tase me bro...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment