U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 01:26 PM

8,005 posts, read 5,360,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
High quality at what price. Hermes isn't really high quality as much as it is brand. I like Hermes stuff pretty much universally, but let's get real here $500+ for a wallet? Forget about it. My $20 Wilson's Leather wallet is perfectly fine even if it is just split leather sewed to ballistic nylon. Five years of my sweaty ass sitting on it and its still going strong.
There are plenty of high quality items that can be had for a low-middle price range. I have been seeing much more made in America products that can compete in price with Chinese garbage. I think people would be surprised how much stuff can be bought that is made in America if they just look around. Even Walmart sells some of this stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
The people at the top exploiting the people at the bottom.
That's the way it's always been, but now they can get away with so much more. It wasn't long ago that they were exploiting people while paying a living wage. No body was really complaining then though. Oh, and 30K is the new 60k don't ya know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2011, 07:46 PM

386 posts, read 223,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheduns View Post
I don't disagree.

Americans love to consume, but they are very flippant about what they will consume with actual higher quality equaling higher costs.

I went to a department store the other day--not as nice as Neiman Marcus but not rock bottom either. I was looking for shoes. EVERY single womens shoe I picked up was Made in China. Didn't matter if it was on clearance for 11.95 or if it cost 109.95. The leather in the 109.95 may have been somewhat nicer but it was all made in china.

On the other hand when I was last in France (I travel quite a bit to Dublin and Paris for work), it was VERY difficult to find a shoe NOT made in France, Italy or Spain. The quality and workmanship was VERY different, but the price was also higher than 109.95 (think twice as much for a cheaper shoe on sale).

I told this to my coworkers and they were all saying-- that they may only have a few pair of dress shoes that they expect to be used for work on a day to day basis-- if they want a "fun" shoe they may pay a cheap price for a piece of crap to wear the few times out to a night club but in general they are not so consumed with buying A LOT of shoes-- the preference would be to buy a very high quality shoe and have fewer pairs. Same with clothing, etc.

One of my coworkers still carried a Hermes leather purse that was almost 30 years old that her mother used to carry. It was a very pricey bag when her mother bought it (heck they still are!), and her mother gifted it to her when she got her first professional job. The bag is classic and looks timeless. I think about my own relatives who would much prefer to go and buy cheap leather or manmade materials bags for each season versus having one exquisite expensive bag to last far longer.

We want it all-- but at WalMart prices.

I noticed I stop doing this awhile back. I look for the highest quality items I can buy and reasonably afford and I do not spend or waste money on the cheaper throwaway crap.
I'd rather have nicer things that last longer myself. I envy the Europeans and Asians for not compiling piles and piles of cheap crap that doesn't hold up well like Americans do. I also collect American Girl dolls, the cost of which people complain about. But American Girl dolls are very high quality, and the cost justifies the expense in their case, since many girls keep them forever, or are able to sell them off for a profit when they become teens. Some argue its not fair that American Girl dolls cost so much. Well, if people were not so preoccupied with buying cheap crap toys from the clearance aisle at Wal-Mart, maybe you could buy your child quality toys and they would actually take care of them.

I have been unemployed in the past. I buy all my clothes from Macy's or similar shops--not Target or Wal-Mart. The entire 6 months I was not able to find work, I did not have to buy a single article of clothing. My stuff held up that whole time. In fact, aside from occasional forays into the mall, I don't have to replace my clothes that much. I replace my Chloe, Burberry and Louis Vuitton handbags even less. Everyone I know who buys cheap stuff ends up in the discount store buying more on a regular basis, like clockwork. For them, 6 months unemployment means half the wardrobe goes up in smoke because the clothes cannot handle regular use, and the handbag falls apart like clockwork.

I've noticed that, long term, I spend less; my stuff holds up better. I don't need to replace the clothes or the handbags, so I don't.

Old 07-24-2011, 03:04 PM

10,513 posts, read 8,238,498 times
Quote:
My industry simply shifted to freelancers.
Mine renamed us as contractors. Even though I (and the people around me) work in a major corporation in the United States, we don't work directly for the corporation. Our checks are cut from India. I am salaried based on a 40 hour work week and don't get paid OT. Instead I get comp time. So with vacation I end up with two months off with pay every year. There is no way to replace me with part timers due to the constraints of my job. They tried to replace me about 4 years ago with a India citizen and he didn't make it three weeks. Large American companies may enjoy to outsource to save money, but they are not too happy when a problem arises at 4:25pm on a Friday in the US and their contractor doesn't work on it until 8:00am on Monday because his 40 hour contract has no OT and no comp time.

Old 08-01-2011, 04:44 PM

455 posts, read 285,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
If someone is willing to do the same job for less money, where's the problem?

People start businesses for profit....not to create jobs. Jobs are a side effect of profit.
That statement personifies the word unethical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment