Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 03:56 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,425,894 times

Advertisements

I'd take it and keep looking. If they want to play lowball you play hardball.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 10:51 PM

13 posts, read 44,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VJP View Post
I haven't had any success at my first two jobs, but I was able to negotiate substantial raises in the following 3 years that made it worth while.
You mean to say you tried negotiating for your first two jobs but your employers stood firm on their offer?

Did you use your experience to negotiate raises within the company or to jump ship?

@garfunkle: yes, 3%, especially if yearly, does sound measly haha

Old 07-27-2011, 06:09 AM
VJP

721 posts, read 1,728,402 times
Sorry, I should have been more clear. My first job was around 45k, and I asked to be promoted about 9 months in and told them I was looking for a number around 60k, and was paid 56. I was then harping again about the accomplishments I had made and my skill on the team and was bumped to 64. I wasn't able to negotiate the 45 and further initially. I left that job shortly for one paying 80, but I came back and told them I was looking for 85. They didn't budge, but did give me a 5k sign on bonus. Since then I've been able to negotiate 3-7k up, and I've now hit the 'glass ceiling' in terms of base, but commissions and incentive plans are negotiable, which is fine with me.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:24 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemist View Post
thanks for all your opinions.

@blsjoe: what kind of gpa did your friends have that got them 65k? or is it just that Boeing, being a large company, pays more?

I have a first class gpa, but i did not state that as my final results were not out yet. they also did not ask about what kind of gpa i would be expecting to score. so perhaps they dont pay based on gpa.
He was at 3.8, and dual majors engineering and business helped.

I would be happy with 3% raises, my employer is at 2%, the commissioners set it annually based on the budget.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:38 AM

2 posts, read 10,416 times
You have to consider the following:

1) Location and cost of living
2) How good are the benefits and how much will they cost you? My classmate and best friend currently makes several thousand more a year then I do but I have a larger take home pay. Also, his benefits suck.
3) Are you willing to lose this job?

I work as an engineer here in CT, my company wont even look at new grads. I was lucky to get in before the big crash as currently there are PLENTY of able engineers who are willing to work for similar pay.

When I graduated three years ago, 50k+ was the avg starting among my friends. The only one who reached 60 was a 4.0 gpa exchange student working in aerospace. He got let go along with 300+ co-workers and is still looking for work.

-J

Old 07-28-2011, 08:20 AM

13 posts, read 44,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VJP View Post
Sorry, I should have been more clear. My first job was around 45k, and I asked to be promoted about 9 months in and told them I was looking for a number around 60k, and was paid 56. I was then harping again about the accomplishments I had made and my skill on the team and was bumped to 64. I wasn't able to negotiate the 45 and further initially. I left that job shortly for one paying 80, but I came back and told them I was looking for 85. They didn't budge, but did give me a 5k sign on bonus. Since then I've been able to negotiate 3-7k up, and I've now hit the 'glass ceiling' in terms of base, but commissions and incentive plans are negotiable, which is fine with me.
thanks for your explanation.
first off, i just have to say, your negotiations skills (and work skills) must be amazing. i didn't even think i could ask for such a large jump, much less be negotiated down. maybe when i'm more confident i'll try haha
did you get glass ceiling because of your position has hit a glass ceiling? or the company isn't willing to pay you anymore considering your position?
just out of curiosity

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisjoe View Post
He was at 3.8, and dual majors engineering and business helped.

I would be happy with 3% raises, my employer is at 2%, the commissioners set it annually based on the budget.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo85 View Post
You have to consider the following:

1) Location and cost of living
2) How good are the benefits and how much will they cost you? My classmate and best friend currently makes several thousand more a year then I do but I have a larger take home pay. Also, his benefits suck.
3) Are you willing to lose this job?

I work as an engineer here in CT, my company wont even look at new grads. I was lucky to get in before the big crash as currently there are PLENTY of able engineers who are willing to work for similar pay.

When I graduated three years ago, 50k+ was the avg starting among my friends. The only one who reached 60 was a 4.0 gpa exchange student working in aerospace. He got let go along with 300+ co-workers and is still looking for work.

-J
i've heard seattle is a bit expensive to live in, but i'm also sure i can manage with this amount.

currently getting details on the benefits so not sure about that yet. if other benefits are substantial i guess its alright.

not willing to lose this job haha

from what i've been reading, the economy seems to be worse today than it was before. but 50k+ seems to be prevalent even 7 years back?

oh and something a little off topic, anyone knows anyone who has more than 4.0 gpa? i've read that A+ gets 4.2 marks. so if one were to consistently score 4.2....

Old 07-28-2011, 08:38 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Just for fun, I'll mention that I started out as an electronics engineer for Grumman on the F-14 program at Point Mugu in 1986 starting at $29K. Projecting out at 3% annually provides a $60K starting salary today. I had a very low undergrad GPA (what the hell, I liked to party) and I attended a very no name state university.

What's really interesting is I'm pretty certain there are a lot of guys with 20 years experience who aren't making much more than that. Just goes to show you the value of moving around for pay increases rather than sticking with one company and accepting the standard 3% COLA every year.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:06 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,846,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemist View Post
i've heard seattle is a bit expensive to live in, but i'm also sure i can manage with this amount.
Yep cost of living is high here but not ridiculous like the bigger cities. Sales tax is pretty high but no income tax. Gas is expensive here too depending where you're coming from. If you're not paying student loans you can manage a nice 1 bedroom, decent sized car payment, and a very comfortable life while socking a good chunk away in savings.

Quote:
from what i've been reading, the economy seems to be worse today than it was before. but 50k+ seems to be prevalent even 7 years back?
50k went a lot farther just 7 years ago than it does today.

Quote:
oh and something a little off topic, anyone knows anyone who has more than 4.0 gpa? i've read that A+ gets 4.2 marks. so if one were to consistently score 4.2....
In my school A+'s weren't given. The year after I graduated high school my district instituted a weighted GPA system where AP and honors classes gave an extra point toward GPA (A=5, B=4 etc). Some kids graduated with 4.3 but it has little meaning outside of that particular school district. Colleges and employers ask for your unweighted GPA which is always a 4.0 max.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment