U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-26-2011, 12:51 PM

309 posts, read 682,471 times

Advertisements

I was interested in being one and even talked to someone who has it as their career and she told me that although it only takes 2 years to obtain the degree, she doesn't make that much money, that she doesn't work that many hours, she has to work a second job to supplement that one, that it was hard to find a job, and she wished she would have just gone for dentistry. I wonder if what she told me is true or if this is just an exaggeration. I would love to be a dentist, but that's 8 years of college and grad school. I am 26, have 2 kids, I don't have thousands of dollars for college (although I could find a way, I'm sure). It's just that 8 years seems like a long time. I'll be 35 by the time I'm done. My oldest will be 16 by then. What would be the smartest path? What are your thoughts?

Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 11:38 AM

420 posts, read 1,402,672 times
There were lots of people in my class over the age 30 when the graduated. Heck, I started dental school when I was 28. The hygiene market is flooded right now, not many dentists are hiring, if at all, and if they are it's only part-time. And going to dental school is alot of money and it's getting more and more expensive each year. Try the hygiene, see if you like it, it's not a bad part-time job if you have a family.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:36 AM

257 posts, read 771,692 times
The job market is for DHs is really oversaturated now and probably will be more many more years to come. The jobs that are available have had their pay drastically watered down due to the huge supply of graduating DHs.

Before the massive influx of graduates, it was a good paying career where a new DH graduate could easily start of making at least 60K / year. These days, assuming you a DH can full time work, starting pay could be as low $30 / year. I know people stocking shelves at Home Depot for that kind of money.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:13 AM

10,533 posts, read 14,059,997 times
Dental jobs are not the in thing to have when the economy is down. I know a couple Dentist and one of the first things people cut is having dental work done. Also when people have insurance they may visit the dentist, but when they are working part time, not working, or are concerned about finances they will drop visiting the dentist.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:18 AM

816 posts, read 1,083,354 times
Dental schools are more expensive than medical schools right now and just as competitive to get into. Tuition at many schools are $50k a year.

And you need really high grades and scores to get into dental school.

With two kids already it's probably not a good idea to consider dental school when you don't even have an undergrad degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment