Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 09:23 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,971,963 times

Advertisements

NOT

Anybody have any cool stories about their last day on the job (when it was on your own accord, of course)?

I can't help but think of Michael Scott from The Office being dragged out after he was caught making fliers for his new paper company haha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 05:25 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,636,720 times
I worked for a very short time in the recruitment office for a large public healthcare system.

I worked for a woman that I lovingly refer to as Frau Hitler.

When I first came to the organization I was appalled to find they would through out the paper applications (this is a public institution so you had to have the entire application to be considered for a position-- application included waivers for background check, 10 year address history, SSN, DL numbers, 15 year job and salary information. etc). Basically prime pickings for an identity theft.

It was the first thing I asked about and inquired why we were not shredding confidential materials (the purge happened weekly). Basically I was told-- hiring a shredding company comes out of our budget and Frau didn't want to do it, paying our own employees to shred them was not value added and well.. it just took too long. It was easier to throw them in the dumpster. *blinks*

After a week, I called the company where I had turned down an offer and begged for another position that I did get. I had to work part time for 4 months until i was made full time-- which did indeed happen. As soon as I turned full time I gave my two week notice. So basically I think I was there for less than 6 months before leaving. The other hire who was hired 3 weeks after me at this place left about 4 weeks before I did.

Anyhoo, on my last day an executive from HR came downstairs to talk to Frau Hitler saying the municipal dump and sorting place had called the healthcare system concerned about some of the items they were seeing in the trash. They were concerned about the confidential data and wanted to report it. The office had just done the weekly purge and threw everything in the dumpster (our trash cans could not hold the amount) and Frau Hitler asked me to help climb into the dumpster to retrieve the applications.

I laughed and told her I was heading home.

I also due to my connections on a recruiting distribution list had been found by a journalist in San Francisco who was writing a paper about women keeping other women in non-growth positions, etc. Kinda the concept it is not men sometimes who put up a glass ceiling but women. She had read my stories about Frau Hitler and interviewed me. When the article came out in the newspaper she forwarded me a copy with my name and Frau Hitler's name changed slightly. I forwarded a copy to Frau Hitler. By that point it had been several weeks after I had left.

I would say it was the only place that I ever left with that kind of aggravation and really the only place where I worked at where the manager in charge was a dictator (I was verbally warned for not smiling enough in the office is another example-- and when I did start smiling, I was warned that my attitude was sarcastic).

Old 07-27-2011, 02:09 PM

1,378 posts, read 4,360,705 times
I once worked in the corporate office of a bank. The first week, they put me with a woman to train. She would show me how to do something, but would not let me do it because she didn't want me using her computer. After a week I had learned nothing because I had not physically done anything, just watched. The second week they had me train with another woman (who had been on vacation the previous week) and I was able to learn everything quickly becauser she let me actually do stuff.

My desk was next to the first woman and she was a royal pain to work with. She thought she was the only one who did any work. When she went on vacation, I learned nobody else was real fond of her, either.

Anyway, after about six months I got another job. My last week she was training my replacement and did the same thing she did with me. The replacement looked at me and said she wasn't learning anything. I told her I understood.

My last day I had an exit interview and they asked why I was leaving and I said for more money and to return to a field I had worked in previuosly, all of which was true. The HR person kept pressing me to say something else but I took the high road and didn't blast her.

Everyone else in the office came up to that last day and said they enjoyed working with me and wished me well in the future. A lot of that was the usual BS, but it was nice of them to be polite. But my buddy made some snotty comment as she left that day.

So I got a little revenge. On the compters, if you logged in with the wrong ID three times in a row, it would freeze and you had to call the help desk, which was a big pain. So I leaned over to her desk and typed in a couple letters three times, which would cause her system to freeze up when she got to work the next day.

Old 07-27-2011, 02:14 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
Here's my sad story..... I did cry all the way home after this happened. I was quite upset until I realized I had given myself the best possible gift. I never had to go back there again.

I worked for more than 32 years for one company. On my last day, no one even bothered to show up to say good-bye, we'll miss you, up yours, or anything else. None of my bosses even cared. My co-workers were great so it wasn't a complete washout.

Anyway, I had a lot of stuff to turn in. Cell, pager, ID, SecureId. Things I was responsible for. So I typed up a list(inventory), had a manager in another department sign it as returned, gave them the stuff and left.

Don't ever make the mistake of thinking your company cares about you. They don't.

Old 07-27-2011, 02:52 PM

29,795 posts, read 24,880,628 times
I worked at a medical office just before heading off to nursing school. I found out they were letting me go just before the start of the semester. Last day was kind of a bummer, but I don't miss the place. Some people were great, but the whole experience turned me off completely to the prospects of ever working in an office again.

On the last day, the head doctor gave me a stethoscope, a very nice one. Retail price was $400. The guy was not always well liked by all the staff, but he had an eye for potential, and he always said I would go on to do great things. Probably bummed him out when I dropped out, but oh well. I ended up giving the stethoscope to my mother for her job.

That was my first and last office job. Never again...

Old 07-27-2011, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Here's my sad story..... I did cry all the way home after this happened. I was quite upset until I realized I had given myself the best possible gift. I never had to go back there again.

I worked for more than 32 years for one company. On my last day, no one even bothered to show up to say good-bye, we'll miss you, up yours, or anything else. None of my bosses even cared. My co-workers were great so it wasn't a complete washout.

Anyway, I had a lot of stuff to turn in. Cell, pager, ID, SecureId. Things I was responsible for. So I typed up a list(inventory), had a manager in another department sign it as returned, gave them the stuff and left.

Don't ever make the mistake of thinking your company cares about you. They don't.
Maybe some don't care about you as a person, but they should care about you as an asset. If a company makes a habit of not caring about their assets, they probably won't be around too long.

Old 07-27-2011, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongtimeBravesFan View Post
I once worked in the corporate office of a bank. The first week, they put me with a woman to train. She would show me how to do something, but would not let me do it because she didn't want me using her computer. After a week I had learned nothing because I had not physically done anything, just watched. The second week they had me train with another woman (who had been on vacation the previous week) and I was able to learn everything quickly becauser she let me actually do stuff.

My desk was next to the first woman and she was a royal pain to work with. She thought she was the only one who did any work. When she went on vacation, I learned nobody else was real fond of her, either.

Anyway, after about six months I got another job. My last week she was training my replacement and did the same thing she did with me. The replacement looked at me and said she wasn't learning anything. I told her I understood.

My last day I had an exit interview and they asked why I was leaving and I said for more money and to return to a field I had worked in previuosly, all of which was true. The HR person kept pressing me to say something else but I took the high road and didn't blast her.

Everyone else in the office came up to that last day and said they enjoyed working with me and wished me well in the future. A lot of that was the usual BS, but it was nice of them to be polite. But my buddy made some snotty comment as she left that day.

So I got a little revenge. On the compters, if you logged in with the wrong ID three times in a row, it would freeze and you had to call the help desk, which was a big pain. So I leaned over to her desk and typed in a couple letters three times, which would cause her system to freeze up when she got to work the next day.
Well played!

Old 07-28-2011, 09:21 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,052,382 times
I took a dump in the break room on my last day, then told everyone to suck it.

Old 07-29-2011, 01:15 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post
Why would anyone do this?

Old 07-29-2011, 01:28 PM

191 posts, read 357,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post
lol you must have really disliked your job!-
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment