Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 07:41 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,774,958 times

Advertisements

This is becoming a nightmare for myself and I am sure many other middle aged people who lost their jobs recently. The sad thing is that after three years of economic troubles it appears nothing has improved. People are still LOSING jobs at a rate that almost MATCHES the PEAK job loss rate in the 2001 recession.

My story is average. I worked at a tire manufacturing plant which shut down production due to changes in technology and a new plant built in Mexico. My state (TN) has lost over 65K manufacturing jobs in the past three years and it didn't make any sense to try to stay in that field.

I retrained in a new career which it appears I will never get a "job" in despite my best efforts to gain additional knowledge, training and certifications. I can honestly say that I have applied to positions where I KNOW they did not get any other applicant with my certifications but never even got a response. I am 48 and therefore "washed up" in an employers eyes. I sort of had the feeling this would happen so I made sure what I trained in had a self employment opportunity and I am now pursuing that.

The problem is that I need to create some sort of immediate revenue while I work on the business. I am getting no response to anything I apply to and I firmly believe that age is a factor. I am washed up at 48?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 02:00 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,031,639 times
Me too. I understand. It's a tough place to be.

All you can do is keep on trying and take anything you can get.

Old 07-27-2011, 02:46 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,902,718 times
I work in manufacturing, and my home state of Michigan lost over 50% of it's manufacturers since the recession. Employment in manufacturing also dropped below 50%. If you still like the work, other states may offer more opportunity. The key is to find a place that is not dependent on one industry. I always worked auto, and needless to say I've been through a few mass layoffs. Now I'm working at a place that does work in diesel, hydraulics, pneumatics, automotive, agricultural... And that's just in my department alone.

If you have the time invested, there are places around that could use the experience. Many shops are having a hard time finding experienced workers, and I think it's due to the older crowd being less mobile. They have homes, family etc in one place and they won't leave. I don't blame them, but there is still a demand for your skills, knowledge, experience...

Old 07-27-2011, 03:23 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,332,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
The problem is that I need to create some sort of immediate revenue while I work on the business.
Are you any good at poker?

Old 07-27-2011, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I work in manufacturing, and my home state of Michigan lost over 50% of it's manufacturers since the recession. Employment in manufacturing also dropped below 50%. If you still like the work, other states may offer more opportunity. The key is to find a place that is not dependent on one industry. I always worked auto, and needless to say I've been through a few mass layoffs. Now I'm working at a place that does work in diesel, hydraulics, pneumatics, automotive, agricultural... And that's just in my department alone.

If you have the time invested, there are places around that could use the experience. Many shops are having a hard time finding experienced workers, and I think it's due to the older crowd being less mobile. They have homes, family etc in one place and they won't leave. I don't blame them, but there is still a demand for your skills, knowledge, experience...
The way I look at manufacturing is that if I stayed in it I would go through a series of layoffs and with each one, I would just be that much older and less likely to find replacement work. If I am finding it tough at 48 I can only imagine what it would be like at 58.

My goal was to find something I could do independent of an employer. I think I have found a really good "niche" that will be a great way to earn a living into my retirement years. My problem is getting over the first year or so while I build my business. I was hoping I could get a job in the field I trained in just to get experience but it isn't going to happen.

Old 07-27-2011, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Are you any good at poker?
LOL- I am in Tennessee, they don't even have Bingo here.

Old 07-27-2011, 03:36 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,902,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
The way I look at manufacturing is that if I stayed in it I would go through a series of layoffs and with each one, I would just be that much older and less likely to find replacement work. If I am finding it tough at 48 I can only imagine what it would be like at 58.

My goal was to find something I could do independent of an employer. I think I have found a really good "niche" that will be a great way to earn a living into my retirement years. My problem is getting over the first year or so while I build my business. I was hoping I could get a job in the field I trained in just to get experience but it isn't going to happen.
I know what you mean about the layoffs... That's why picking a diversified job shop was the route I took. What has happened in manufacturing is happening in just about every industry these days though. Your just as likely to be laid off working in any sector from what I have seen. Many of my friends in nursing have been laid off, and they thought that was impossible a few years ago. I don't know if it's luck or what, but I have not been unemployed for more than a month working in manufacturing. The work has been good to me, and I am thankful for that.

If I were a bit older and better positioned for it, I would start a one man job shop. Make a little money and test the waters, and expand if it's stable. That's just me though... I have the bug for making things Problem is, I don't enjoy dealing with other people and the problems they tend to create. It's hard to hire someone who cares just as much as you do about your business.

What type of work did you train for? Starting a business is nice, but it can be just as unstable as any form of employment. If there are no customers wanting to buy, you might as well be unemployed. Problem with a business is many people over invest in the beginning, and when their goals aren't met, or their not profitable at first, they panic. At your age, are you willing to watch a large percentage of your savings absorbed by the costs of running a business?

Old 07-27-2011, 03:46 PM

11,297 posts, read 18,885,525 times
You know, a couple of years ago I used to be really active in this forum about topics like this and talk about this phenomenon. I honestly thought that if things kept staying this bad, that by now you'd have a lot of 40ish and up workers who are "permanently unemployable" and desperate and there'd be some sort of "anarchy". Now I'm exaggerating there but what I was thinking you'd have millions who either are just on unemployment or exhausted that and would have "no income" and if something isn't done soon would starve, be homeless, etc. if they're not already and it would be a huge social crisis to be dealt with.

I'm suddenly seeing articles in the NY Times, etc. about the vicious cycle of job discrimination against the long-term unemployed, against people with bad credit reports caused by unemployment, etc. and I wondering where these people are, why there aren't rallies on Washington or calls to boycott these companies or for that matter riots? The one such rally I can remember hearing about was sometime last year on Wall Street and all these "Tea Party" types counter rallied yelling, "get a job" and other nasty stuff. I though it was disgusting.

I know there are millions of people like this, in fact, even I border on this, I am mid40s, for the last 3 years while I've not been totally out of work, my work history in that time is "inconsistent" and I've used up my unemployment (though I'm in the middle of petitioning to get it again for the longest of my "inconsistent" work and believe I will soon, as I am out of work now but have a guaranteed job come September/October or so), so I'm not one of those loony Glenn Beck types who either think you don't exist or that you have some mental problem, I think you and millions of other like you are out there there and it's a crisis.

I really think there has to be some way for "99ers" (I hate the term, but it's best one I can think of and is the most commonly used term) to organize and be heard somehow. I know it doesn't help you personally, but there has to be a way, I mostly gave up on the W&E forums because there were too many people saying these things but nothing else happening.

I wish you the best of luck, I think your business will do well once you get over the hump. Is it possible to ask family of any kind to help tide you over? Also, maybe your state Dept. of Labor gives help to l/t unemployed trying to start a business (I know they do that here in NY).

Old 07-27-2011, 03:51 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,551,065 times
Well... if you have a talent that would get you hired at a major grocery chain (IT?) - you could get hired without a face to face interview like myself.

I'm 51 & I was hired last October & I'm paid top dollar for my skills. No one even saw me until I accepted the offer & went for a drug test. The offer wasn't final, of course, until after the drug test results.

I had a phone interview, though...my voice sounds young but I didn't think about that the time...I was grateful to not be judged for my gray hair.

Anyway, I thought I'd just pass that along to you. DM me if you need more info on the company.

From what you posted, it sounds believable that if you can make it past your first year, you'll be fine. You aren't washed up!

Old 07-27-2011, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post

What type of work did you train for? Starting a business is nice, but it can be just as unstable as any form of employment. If there are no customers wanting to buy, you might as well be unemployed. Problem with a business is many people over invest in the beginning, and when their goals aren't met, or their not profitable at first, they panic. At your age, are you willing to watch a large percentage of your savings absorbed by the costs of running a business?
I earned a degree in Managerial accounting. I intend to offer advanced reporting services and cost management/cost accounting project services directed at companies using QuickBooks as their accounting program. I am a certified QuickBooks pro advisor and active in the program and community. I have discussed my idea with other pro advisors and the response has been positive.

The business is low overhead so that isn't a concern. The problem is the next six months to a year and how to make it over that hurdle. It is going to take time for steady business to develop. The great thing is that I am almost perfectly situated between three cities and will be able to market in all three.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment