Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 12:37 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
I have a bachelor's in business and I'm doing the post bachelor's certificate in accounting. I just got hired as a accounting assistant for a local non profit. The pay is a little less than what I am making now but my current non profit job was going to be cut anyways so I got a new job just in time. I'm taking one class each semester (4 semesters in a year). When I finish the certificate, I will have 2 years of accounting experience. Just kinda got lucky.
Is that all you need in your state? In California you would still need to work for a licensed CPA. Is that the case in Texas or your current state of residence? You would need to make sure that the CPA that works there has a current license.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 02:35 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,869,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETSUAccountingGuy View Post
I actually have thought of trying to get a clerk job while in school. However, I'm not sure I could handle it with my full course load. I'm taking 18 hrs a semester in spring/fall and 15 in the summer to graduate in a reasonable amount of time.
I don't get the advice about the para-professional accounting jobs. I was on a hiring committee for a Big 4 and no one ever mentioned that as a positive factor in a hiring decision. There isn't anything you do as a bookkeeper, A/P, or any other para-professional job like a bank teller that you can't pick up quickly as an accountant.

The more important things they consider are: 1) whether you are smart enough to eventually be able to do things like GAAP interpretations, 2) whether you have the ability to run an audit or tax engagement with little supervision, 3) whether you are polished enough to represent the firm before clients or regulators, 4) whether you are a self starter and can handle a very demanding workload, 5) whether you can work with other people effectively, 6) whether you can develop the people underneath you to perform at a high level and progress through the firm and 7) and whether you actually like accounting (i.e. motivation for entering the field).

For #1, 2, and 4, they basically use your GPA, you quality of your school, experience in prior high quality internships, and leadership positions as screening criteria. The interviews flesh out #2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7 better. When you discuss #2, 3, 4, 5, and 6, it will be much more effective if you can discuss those attributes in relation to a prior accounting internship. It is real hard to effectively convince them you meet their criteria if your only experience is say as a bank teller, as those types of jobs are irrelevant to a lot of the criteria above. Even if you don't have a good internship, talking about volunteer positions or leadership positions on campus organizations is often just as effective. #7 is important and often a screening interview question because they know that public accounting is a demanding job and you'll likely quit if you don't like the field or only entered it as a background to do something else like finance or consulting.

The more evidence from your background that you can give them to prove you meet their criteria, the better the chances you have of getting an offer.

Old 08-01-2011, 02:45 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,849,731 times
It's not that they care that someone has bookkeeping knowledge, but they look for the ability to manage multiple time commitments, such as getting good grades in school while working. Of course actual public accounting experience is best, but these days lower level jobs are probably more attainable for the average student.

I helped with recruiting at the Big 4 where I once worked, and they weren't really interested in a student's technical knowledge so much as they wanted people who enjoyed a fast paced environment where change was a constant. They didn't just want people who could effectively deal with change, they wanted people who enjoyed it. The assumption was that they could teach all the technical information. And the truth was that new hires are not really in a position to use most of their accounting knowledge for their first couple of years.

Also, my advice regarding working lower level jobs is more for someone who is in the process of applying for that first internship. After that of course they would sell their internship experience first and foremost, although if the internship went well they most likely would be offered a full time position at the end of it. The internship process is the same as the full time job hiring process, and may actually be somewhat more competitive. I know when the recession was at its worst, firms were not hiring anyone who didn't have a prior internship there, period.

Old 08-01-2011, 06:17 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,121,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Is that all you need in your state? In California you would still need to work for a licensed CPA. Is that the case in Texas or your current state of residence? You would need to make sure that the CPA that works there has a current license.
I'm not taking the CPA but my supervisor is a current Texas CPA holder. I start the new position in about two weeks. I'm looking into staying in private accounting. My goal is not to become a CFO or in a leadership position.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:30 PM

1 posts, read 2,128 times
Well just thought I would put in my 2 cents. I graduated in December with a degree in finance and ended up going into accounting. I looked for about 2 months and got hired on at a regional firm. Like many people have said, if you want to work at the Big 4 you better go to a school that the recruit from or know someone that works there. I would actually recommend going to work at a large well know regional firm. 10% less pay (at least in my situation) but i only do about 50 hours a week. Im not really a fan of big companies though so that probably has something to do with it. Good grades, good internship, and CPA eligible and you are golden.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:05 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,869,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_cuyler View Post
It's not that they care that someone has bookkeeping knowledge, but they look for the ability to manage multiple time commitments, such as getting good grades in school while working. Of course actual public accounting experience is best, but these days lower level jobs are probably more attainable for the average student.
The problem is that a lot of those types of jobs are glorified data entry positions and your interviewer is going to know that if you try to puff it up in an interview. Most would prefer you use your time to develop your skills in other ways like volunteering (i.e. in an accounting dept. of a nonprofit or campus office doing special projects) or participating in campus organizations as an officer. Those will give you more ammunition in an interview.

If you need a part-time job for living expenses, they can't hurt, but I probably saw more former waitresses and bartenders in our intern classes.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:07 AM

1,359 posts, read 4,849,731 times
When I was interviewing, they didn't seem to care so much what kind of job people had while going to school, just that they were working and could show they were managing different responsibilities. They didn't like it if people were just focusing entirely on school.

Your advice is good, of course, I've been out of school for three years now so I pretty much have zero chance at working in public accounting again anyway, even if I wanted to.

Old 08-03-2011, 12:26 PM

1,285 posts, read 2,357,007 times
If I dont get a job at a public accounting firm I wont mind. Im also interested in being an accountant for a company. Such as working for Marriott in their accounting dept.

Old 08-03-2011, 12:54 PM

1,336 posts, read 4,965,556 times
first week on the accounting job search hasnt gone well. applied to about 15 jobs and no responses so far. i realize this could be a long process that takes many months or longer. I'm looking to get a job an entry level job with a very small accounting firm or even in an accounting dept at a larger company. Besides responding to online jobs and working with my schools career services what can one do? Is it appropriate to call or even show up at small accounting firms and companies and inquire into employment?

Old 08-03-2011, 01:16 PM

1,285 posts, read 2,357,007 times
I would say so. They'd probably let you leave your resume with them. Please keep us up to date how it's going for you!

Where in Fla are you at exaclty? Are you looking only in your metro or state-wide?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment