Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 07:32 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,630,335 times

Advertisements

FMLA does not mean you will get paid. Some employers pay a period of time with FMLA, others depending on the reason do not. FMLA allows for job protection for up to 12 weeks of time for medical leaves or to care for an immediate family member, etc.

My company has different levels of FMLA that are fully paid, partially paid, and unpaid-- then once you pass that time period you move into other leave options (short term or long term disability, personal unpaid time, etc).

I had a situation with my grandfather when he was dying-- he was like my father as I grew up in his household. He was only about 2.5 hours from me-- but there constant "close calls" where I would have to leave at a short notice. My employer was very understanding and I never had to take full leave until I took bereavement and then I took 6 days.

HR was not involved because technically my group reported into HR-- and my manager just reported my time to HR directly. I was exempt so I didn't have to account for time that was 4 hours or less (so if I left work early and I had at least spent 4 hours I did not need to take sick or vacation time).

Generally speaking for certain leave options at my employer, you must exhaust all vacation and sick time before going into a leave status. At any rate, due to the unknowns of just how much longer your mother has-- this may be the reason why your leadership would like for you to speak to HR.

HR needs to be involved so they can be sure that especially in the case of FMLA everything is documented in order to ensure that you are also protected in your absence to take care of your mother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2011, 08:24 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,604,230 times
Default they may ask me for documentation

from hospice or mom's MD?

Old 07-30-2011, 08:57 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,242,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
vacation personal and exchange time since I have been there 20 years. i had asked our supervisor to indicate on my time sheet to indicate a combo of vacation personal and exchange days, maybe that triggered my need to call HR?

if they are trying to get me into FMLA does this mean i would not get paid? my rent is due next week so i would assume next week's paycheck will be paid to me so i can pay my rent

mom hasn't passed yet, normally you get 3 bereavement days when a close relative dies but i'm not taking bereavement time yet

so far all correspondences from bosses has been good, is there any reason to forecast any problem?

if they ask for proof i would have to get a fax from mom's MD who is in ga as i work and live in NY
I'm sorry to hear about your mom. I've been there, and I understand what you might be going through.

If you have the vacation and personal time, take that. FMLA isn't paid.

Maybe they just want to go over the policy with you. It sounds like your boss is trying to do the right thing.

Old 07-30-2011, 09:03 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,604,230 times
Default you're probably

right

Old 07-30-2011, 10:27 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,653,685 times
I would wait until you talk to human resources as company family leave vary so much.Many will allow you to use any leave including accumlated sick leave.My wife took off three weeks paid on sick leave. a few years ago.

Old 07-30-2011, 10:40 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,868,496 times
Typically you use FMLA along with your accrued vacation and sick time. Using your accrued leave means you can get paid for your time away. Formally entering an FMLA arrangement means the company can allow you to leave at a moment's notice, or work alternate hours, as the need arises to address your family needs. Without FMLA, you would be able to use your accrued hours but would need to follow company policy, like officially submitting a request to use vacation time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment