Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2011, 07:47 PM

212 posts, read 821,842 times

Advertisements

Anybody have luck finding a job. Howdoes one overcome the age factor. I turned 60 and laid off in june. I am an accountant but not a cpa. I am finding it impossible. Had only 3 job interviews in a month. Do I stand a chance to get a permanent jpb at 60 or will i have to work temp until i retire
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2011, 09:11 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,936,007 times
Which field? The reason I ask is b/c I know of several older accountants who specialize in tax who are doing quite well. They happen to be Enrolled Agents and work seasonally, but are making enough during tax season to take the rest of the year off. Age d/n seem to be a factor and I have worked with several tax accountants who are in their 60's (guessing, don't know for sure). At any rate, hang in there and good luck.

Old 07-30-2011, 09:21 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
You have to play the game unfortunately. My friends dad is 67 and hated being retired. So he was eager to get back into working. He was a research chemist and was really driven by doing research. As you might already know, a 67 year old might be perceived as slower than a 40 year old scientist.

He was determined, so he did all the "look younger" things. Got real fit. Got a stylist to make him "look" younger. And started networking with the younger scientists (40 year olds). It did take him 3 months but he did eventually land a job doing what he wanted to do.

Old 07-30-2011, 09:53 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,902,718 times
Age factor? You mean how 18-24 year olds have the highest unemployment rate? Sometimes, I feel everyone is just looking to blame something that is not their fault and out of their control...

Old 07-31-2011, 07:00 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,364,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Age factor? You mean how 18-24 year olds have the highest unemployment rate? Sometimes, I feel everyone is just looking to blame something that is not their fault and out of their control...
Yes, they do, however if an older worker gets laid off they will have a harder time getting re-employed and they are unemployed for much longer - at any job...I can't find the stats right now but if I do I'll post them, there was a big artical just recently about the older worker and how long it takes them to find a job -any job.

To the OP, I'm now 60 and it took me 3+ years to find a job and it's only PRN with no guarenteed hours or benefits and yes I'm up to date on software, office skills, took a phlebotomy course got nationally certified (re-training as suggested) and all sorts of other things and this job is all I could get. I do live in a really bad area, my state has consistantly had 10%+ unemployment for over 3 years and our unemployment just went up to 10.5% - I'd move but I can't sell, we happen to live in the "dead zone" as far as real estate is concerned.

Alot will depend on where you live, if you got 3 interviews in one month that's a good sign, often I'd go for months with NO interviews.

Old 07-31-2011, 08:10 AM

8,063 posts, read 12,774,958 times
I am having a similar issue at 48 although I am trying to break into a new career field.

I like the suggestion of becoming an EA (enrolled agent) because it seems as if tax is an area that you could get the certification and get working. I am considering this for the future if my plan "A" doesn't work.

I really enjoy cost accounting problems and made a decision to concentrate in this area. I am 48 and realize that I will not get hired so I am working in this area as an independent accountant specializing in advanced reporting and cost management/cost accounting project work.

I think the answer for (some) older workers is self employment/contract role.

Old 07-31-2011, 08:01 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,905,304 times
Look my father got laid off at 62 and was working again within a month--fourteen times faster than it took me to find a job after I was laid off. You can use your age as a crutch or you can choose not to make an issue of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search