U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-05-2011, 09:10 AM
 
1,090 posts, read 1,628,637 times
Reputation: 678
Thumbs down Do you think the whole "temp" thing is being abused?

I know there are pros and cons,but I'm starting to feel like temping is being utterly abused. It's horrible. I heard, in Boston, it's illegal to use a temp for my than 6 months. I think that should be a law everywhere. Even 6 months is a long time. That's half a year. For MOST positions, the company should be able to tell within 3 months. Then, if they hire the person, they're on another 90 days probation. That's a total of 6 months and seems like more than enough time for me. I read stories and bump into so many people who have been temping for the last 2 years and some have been temping at the same position for 6-24 months. I feel their pain, because the economy is bad right now, but I feel like the temping stuff is being completely abused in this country. At the rate our country is going, I don't see things ever getting much better.

Last edited by BingCherry; 08-05-2011 at 09:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-05-2011, 09:15 AM
 
Location: Brambleton, VA
2,187 posts, read 3,436,830 times
Reputation: 2051
No. I don't think it is abused and it is absurd to think that they have different laws as opposed to any permanent employees. Some employers may have their own rules but that has nothing to do with laws. Personally, my employer uses a lot of them and I don't have a favorable opinion of most because they know that it isn't permanent so they won't give their all. We use them mostly to cover someone on maternity leave and I haven't had one colleague that hasn't come back to a mess. If a temp does put 100% into what they are doing and really wishes to become permanent, they should prove themselves. I wish that was the case where I work and am really not thrilled about going on Maternity Leave in a few weeks and leaving some responsibilities of my job to a temp.

As far as hiring policies, that is something to gripe about to the temp agency. You sign a contract as does the employer you temp for that you cannot be hired into the company within a certain amount of time, etc. I don't know if some temp agencies have different policies or not, but make sure you read the contract before you sign on that line. There are some contracts where the employer cannot ever hire a temp...so make sure you find the right temp agency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2011, 09:32 AM
 
1,090 posts, read 1,628,637 times
Reputation: 678
Alley, it sounds like you have more of a personal fear about temps. Perhaps this comes from anxiety building as you near the time to give birth. I am not sure.

Have you ever been a temp before? If so, how did it go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2011, 09:36 AM
 
1,445 posts, read 806,823 times
Reputation: 3516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
No. I don't think it is abused and it is absurd to think that they have different laws as opposed to any permanent employees. Some employers may have their own rules but that has nothing to do with laws. Personally, my employer uses a lot of them and I don't have a favorable opinion of most because they know that it isn't permanent so they won't give their all. We use them mostly to cover someone on maternity leave and I haven't had one colleague that hasn't come back to a mess. If a temp does put 100% into what they are doing and really wishes to become permanent, they should prove themselves. I wish that was the case where I work and am really not thrilled about going on Maternity Leave in a few weeks and leaving some responsibilities of my job to a temp.
I know that each experience is different, but this couldn't be further from the truth in my experiences. Heck, I know some temps who work harder than some permanent employees. Perhaps they can sense your "unfavorable opinion"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2011, 09:37 AM
 
1,090 posts, read 1,628,637 times
Reputation: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
I know that each experience is different, but this couldn't be further from the truth in my experiences. Heck, I know some temps who work harder than some permanent employees. Perhaps they can sense your "unfavorable opinion"?
Most temps that I know work harder than permanent employees. This is a fact. That's why I was a little bit confused by her post and asked for clarification.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2011, 09:40 AM
 
Location: Oklahoma
49 posts, read 48,419 times
Reputation: 34
I'm confused as to what you mean by it's being abused? But I have to agree with Alley01, every agency has different policies and the companies that use them have their own policies as well. I'm technically a temp but treated the same as the permanent employees, I just have to pay for parking (but it is made up for in my pay) and fax my time sheet in each week. There are a couple of girls who have been here 2+ years and are still getting paid through the agency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2011, 09:52 AM
 
Location: Stuck in NE GA right now
4,536 posts, read 5,903,204 times
Reputation: 6316
Quote:
Originally Posted by BingCherry View Post
I know there are pros and cons,but I'm starting to feel like temping is being utterly abused. It's horrible. I heard, in Boston, it's illegal to use a temp for my than 6 months. I think that should be a law everywhere. Even 6 months is a long time. That's half a year. For MOST positions, the company should be able to tell within 3 months. Then, if they hire the person, they're on another 90 days probation. That's a total of 6 months and seems like more than enough time for me. I read stories and bump into so many people who have been temping for the last 2 years and some have been temping at the same position for 6-24 months. I feel their pain, because the economy is bad right now, but I feel like the temping stuff is being completely abused in this country. At the rate our country is going, I don't see things ever getting much better.
Yes, in many states there is no end in sight for Temps, I can't tell you how many times I was hired as a Temp (at crummy wages) with promises of going perm after x amount of months and it was always something, oh we are having a hiring freeze please hang in there, oh we are going to eliminate your position -could you please train your replacement from xyz department...on and on...not one of these positions ever went permenant and I always busted my butt to do good work, these Corps hire temps so they don't have to pay benefits or good wages and then chew them up and spit them out.

At least with my current crummy job I'm an employee of the company but work just PRN so no guarenteed hours and no benefits, but after 6 months I can apply to full time positions. I'm not considered a "temp" just PRN and that's about 1 step above a temp.

Unfortunately it's the wave of the future, I think many will have only temp or PRN jobs so Corps can save a buck on benefits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2011, 09:55 AM
 
1,445 posts, read 806,823 times
Reputation: 3516
Quote:
Originally Posted by BingCherry View Post
I know there are pros and cons,but I'm starting to feel like temping is being utterly abused. It's horrible. I heard, in Boston, it's illegal to use a temp for my than 6 months. I think that should be a law everywhere. Even 6 months is a long time. That's half a year. For MOST positions, the company should be able to tell within 3 months. Then, if they hire the person, they're on another 90 days probation. That's a total of 6 months and seems like more than enough time for me. I read stories and bump into so many people who have been temping for the last 2 years and some have been temping at the same position for 6-24 months. I feel their pain, because the economy is bad right now, but I feel like the temping stuff is being completely abused in this country. At the rate our country is going, I don't see things ever getting much better.

I think that you are asking if the companies are taking "advantage" because they don't have to pay benefits and other staffing costs?

I temped for over a year here, but I got a permanent job in another department. My supervisor made it clear upfront that there was nothing permanent availalbe. It also helped that I was never treated like "just a temp". Like everything in life, it is how you look at things. I work for my city government, and it is very hard to get a job here. But, by temping, I made contacts not only within my department, but in several other departments as well. When a permanent job did become available, I told my supervisor I was applying, and she put in a good word for me without me having to ask.

I look at temping as way to network while drawing a paycheck.
I didn't go through an agency, though. The company hired me as a temp and then I transitioned over to permanent.

Last edited by mochamajesty; 08-05-2011 at 09:57 AM.. Reason: Clarity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2011, 10:07 AM
 
Location: Oklahoma
49 posts, read 48,419 times
Reputation: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
I think that you are asking if the companies are taking "advantage" because they don't have to pay benefits and other staffing costs?
Well if this is what the OP means, I think companies take advantage of using temps for that reason, but with at least a few major agencies out there it doesn't really matter. The agency I'm through offers health insurance, life insurance, etc. at the same costs my previous permanent job had offered. Unfortunately health still is over $400 a month, so if you're used to having 75% or more of your premiums covered I guess I understand how it hurts temps.

I've been trying to get a permanent position somewhere else while working this temp job for the last few months, and honestly even if companies are taking advantage of temps in this economy it's one way to get a paycheck quickly. I have only had two interviews from countless applications to permanent jobs but got a temp assignment the day I went into the agency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2011, 01:19 PM
 
7,685 posts, read 7,976,101 times
Reputation: 10231
Quote:
Originally Posted by BingCherry View Post
Alley, it sounds like you have more of a personal fear about temps. Perhaps this comes from anxiety building as you near the time to give birth. I am not sure.

Have you ever been a temp before? If so, how did it go?
She would be more fearful if the temp out shined her while she was away.

Many times people like Alley are resentful of temps coming in and often don't show them enough in regards to what the job entails.

Then complain about the job they did.

Give them just enough to confuse them.

I worked at a company where a temp was brought in to the cover our directors administrative assistant while she went out on maternity leave.

The temp told me that the admn. asst was very curt with her and would rush through showing her the routine.

The admin. asst was just plain hateful to this woman as she spent a week "training her".

Finally the temp turned to her and said "honey I don't want your job you can relax".

No company brings in long term temps to replace anyone who has a managerial position, they only cover support staff positions like admin. asst or receptionists.

Alley sounds like the type who treats temps at her office like something that got stuck to the bottom of her shoe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:46 AM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top