Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 01:35 PM

103 posts, read 208,854 times

Advertisements

A new hire started telling the boss, managers, and coworkers that she wasn't making enough money. The new hire also told them that she was contemplating leaving the job. She started doing this a month before her evaluation and raise. Do you think it's wrong for someone to do this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2011, 03:07 PM

6,824 posts, read 9,059,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coors View Post
A new hire started telling the boss, managers, and coworkers that she wasn't making enough money. The new hire also told them that she was contemplating leaving the job. She started doing this a month before her evaluation and raise. Do you think it's wrong for someone to do this?
I can't imagine someone doing that. It's not wrong if it gets her a raise. I wonder if it will work out for her. I don't have high hopes that she will get what she wants. It seems a bit tacky to go around telling people that you don't make enough money.

Old 08-06-2011, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
I can't imagine someone doing that. It's not wrong if it gets her a raise. I wonder if it will work out for her. I don't have high hopes that she will get what she wants. It seems a bit tacky to go around telling people that you don't make enough money.
I talked to other people about this, and they said it's okay because her raise is based on performance not sympathy.

Old 08-06-2011, 06:49 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,742,631 times
Well I guess it's ok if she has the experience/education/skill set to back her whining up.

I doubt many companies won't let a perfect employee go, no matter how much whining they do.

Old 08-06-2011, 06:56 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Well I guess it's ok if she has the experience/education/skill set to back her whining up.

I doubt many companies won't let a perfect employee go, no matter how much whining they do.
A "perfect" employee doesn't go around telling everyone and their brother she isn't making enough money.

Old 08-06-2011, 07:08 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,906,689 times
We could be coworkers. My company hired someone new last fall and within six weeks she was talking about how much she could be earning working for someone else. She pondered aloud whether or not it would be okay to ask management for a raise at the end of her probationary period, even though her offer specifically stated that raises are only considered at annual performance review time (which we do in the summer--she had nine months to wait). She told everyone how she was too good for her job and not earning enough. And of course the truth was she was terrible at her job.
Well, she asked for a huge raise, in the 20% range, and she was denied. She wasn't fired, she was just 'managed out' as they say. She didn't get the raise and her bonus reflected all the mistakes she was making. She quit on her own. We don't miss her.

As for whining...in this economy I think any employer is unrealistic if they expect their employees not to grumble occasionally about wage freezes, furloughs, and pay cuts. People need to let of steam and commiserate now and then.

Old 08-06-2011, 07:33 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,132,509 times
As the others said its not exactly wrong but its also not very bright - What if the boss says if your not happy with your pay see ya dont let the door hit you in the butt when you leave

Old 08-06-2011, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ1252 View Post
As the others said its not exactly wrong but its also not very bright - What if the boss says if your not happy with your pay see ya dont let the door hit you in the butt when you leave
Either this is the stupidest thing a person can do to get a higher raise or the cleverest thing to do it in plain sight.

Old 08-06-2011, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post

She has the skills and it's more of a touching/moving kind of whining that draws people in.

Old 08-06-2011, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
We could be coworkers. My company hired someone new last fall and within six weeks she was talking about how much she could be earning working for someone else. She pondered aloud whether or not it would be okay to ask management for a raise at the end of her probationary period, even though her offer specifically stated that raises are only considered at annual performance review time (which we do in the summer--she had nine months to wait). She told everyone how she was too good for her job and not earning enough. And of course the truth was she was terrible at her job.
Well, she asked for a huge raise, in the 20% range, and she was denied. She wasn't fired, she was just 'managed out' as they say. She didn't get the raise and her bonus reflected all the mistakes she was making. She quit on her own. We don't miss her.

As for whining...in this economy I think any employer is unrealistic if they expect their employees not to grumble occasionally about wage freezes, furloughs, and pay cuts. People need to let of steam and commiserate now and then.
No were not coworkers. She protrays herself differently than the girl you describe and she's still works for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment