Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 01:14 PM

13 posts, read 13,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Nope, not PTSD (and I'm licensed to diagnose people).

Like others above have said, you are having a normal stress reaction to having survived a difficult situation.

To me, as a person with a fair amount of anxiety as well as being a mental health professional, I think that some of that anxiety you describe is a good thing. You can use it to your benefit. If you don't, you'll just be spinning your wheels and wasting all that energy that goes into worry. Anxiety, like anger, can best be used as fuel to spur you do DO something that needs to be done.

Prepare now in case you lose your income in the future. Pay off any debts you have--that should be #1. When you have no debts, your worry will decrease. Then put aside a nest-egg, but not of money--of non-perishable stuff.

Having several months' worth of non-perishable food stored in the basement feels great, and it was one of the ways the folks who survived the Depression coped with their later worries. It's never a waste--you're going to eat it anyway. Plus, if a loved on falls into hard times, you'll be in a position to help them out with food.

Store up cleaning supplies, household goods, stuff you will always need to buy and will always use. If you have the storage space, it's well worth it. The dollar, in case you haven't noticed, is falling in value, inflation will always happen, and prices of goods will always go up, not down.

I have enough soap, bath/shower body wash, shampoo, windex, lysol, band-aids, razor blades, tooth brushes, toothpaste, aluminum foil, zip loc bags, tampons, gift wrapping paper, and trash bags to last probably the next 5 years. They don't take up much room in the basement. And if I should become unemployed, I won't have to buy those things for a long time.

It feels good to be in a position where if I lost my income and had to go on Unemployment (or if I became disabled and had to wait for SSDI appeals) that all I would have to worry about paying would be utilities, gas, some fresh food & milk, and the mortgage payment (until I get that down to zero too). If I suddenly run out of something, I just go to the basement pantry and get it. Think about it: what you go out to the store and buy today will never be cheaper in the future than it is right now. So if you buy a $4 item today that will be $7, even $10 in the future, and it's something that doesn't go bad, why not buy it now and not have to worry about it later?

It's also important to have savings, of course, in the form of money. If you don't trust where the dollar is headed, maybe put the savings into other forms, just to be safe.

You'll find that "inventorying" your supplies, food storage, savings, and lack of debt really reduces anxiety about future hard times. And if those hard times never come, which we hope, having savings and a bunch of stuff stored up will still be useful.

Real, concrete preparation is a good antidote for anxiety about the future, and you don't need a prescription.

Just your post helped to relieve my stress... Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2011, 04:35 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Could I be suffering from some sort of PTSD = post traumatic stress disorder/

We went through ~ 4 years of unemployment/underemployment, my dh and I worked contract, PT, anything we could get ahold of. Then, the clouds parted, and we are gainfully employed again. Albeit at about half what we used to make, but still, employed, with benefits, etc.

Still, I can't get past the fear. We've been employed for about 2 years, but I still fear every day one of us will lose our job. Every day, when dh comes home, I feel anxious, wondering if he has bad news. I work from home, but actually, I do bring in a decent amount, and it balances out the work expenses I'd incurr working away from home.

I have learned to really budget, but somehow, I take no satisfaction in it. Every penny I save makes me think of how much more I could have saved. We're doing ok, but, like I say, I can't enjoy what we have, thinking about the awful possibility of another layoff. I know I couldn't survive another layoff, it would do us under.

So, any suggestions for handling the PTSD of having lost a job? Pleasedon't suggest counseling, we can't afford it---seems counseling is the answer for everything, but at $45/session (yes, that's our copay), well, guess you'd get over it pretty darned quick!
As someone who has suffered from PTSD, I will tell you that no, you do not have PTSD.

You have anxieties and a fear that you will be without money or work again but that is not PTSD.

Edit: By the way, TracySam gave excellent advice. I have done that since I made a move 1700 miles away. I have enough for me and my pets for quite some time. So, if shtf, all I have to worry about is having enough to pay rent. (Car is paid, I can always cancel the internet and cable, (waaaah!), and my electric is so low it's ridiculous.)

Old 04-13-2014, 10:03 AM

1 posts, read 485 times
Lightbulb PTSD and Long Term Unemployment....YES!

To those who have stated it is not possible....you are incorrect and sadly Ignorant. I have personally gone through a horrible 7 years of initially unemployed for 6 months, employed for a year in an environment that was not healthy, to 6 months at another job where my Supervisor who was hired after me then attempted sexual harassment towards myself and another employee, set me up and I was termed, he was finally termed 4 months later...however, I could not get a new job. I was angry and unemployed from March 2008 - April 2009. Then a new job, set up again. I was not told they had already received notice that the management contract was terminated event though I saw the red flags and asked questions, they denied them. 6 weeks later, the entire staff was laid off.

I returned back to NC where I had a house, and had evicted the tenants who did $7k in damage, to receive a call for a job that very same day back in TX. I did not take it bc I had just borrowed $5k to move back to NC...I should have taken it. Not so bright Manager at the time however, who called my apt phone # vs my cell phone as she stated she had been trying to get a hold of me for a week to offer me the job. Dumb! NC had over 12% reported unemployment vs TX had only 6%. There were thousands of applicants in NC for every single job and the stress of trying to stand out, make phone calls to follow up, finally get the interview and face more rejection day in and day out. The interviews were rare, I was over qualified for many positions and also under-qualified as well for many others. A friend's boss in my industry would not hire me as an Assistant Manager bc she thought I'd be gone at the first opportunity elsewhere as a Manager. Horrible thinking by someone unaffected by the economy.

I finally got a new job as a Manager in Nov 2010. The Asst was formerly a Manager with the company and been with them for 18 years in another state. She was not happy they had terminated her friend, the former Manager and that she was not given the position. It was hostile from Day 1, she constantly undermined me and talked to the Regional after hours as they were "like sisters". I received many praises, she and I had one awful argument in the office and that never really turned around, she lied to them and to my face that she did not want my job. 6 months after I started....termed. Have to love the right to work states, not!

My church and other charities paid for my utilities, at one point I had to ask my neighbor to connect my hose to her house as my water had been shut off. I could not get the medical attention or tests I needed or for my aging dog. Thankfully, I am self educated on holistic health.

I filed bankruptcy to stave off foreclosure of my house and to stop my phone from ringing from all of the creditors. I tried some home business' but I was so defeated mentally and emotionally as well as limited financially. I had to fight with my former employer from April 2012-November 2012 with the Unemployment board and I finally won. I could go on....I've lost my home, savings, friends, family is not supportive really and finally have a new full time job but I am not the same, I do not trust and they have messed with my pay etc. I'm finally seeing a Counselor. Here is a great article....as this is TRAUMA = PTSD = Rage, thoughts of suicide, thoughts of harming others who have wronged you, depression, physical changes early in a woman's body that should not occur, isolation, frustration, anti-social etc.

[url=http://www.medicinegarden.com/2011/02/19/high-cortisol-ptsd-1/]High Cortisol Sympoms/PTSD and You, Part 1 | Medicine Garden[/url]
see top of article to go to part 2 - 4

I hope this helps someone as it's been many years for me and I finally found this website to help me and to confirm that I was correct in what I am and have been experiencing. Be NICE to others...call and visit friends/family who are unemployed or been through it...HUG THEM, Pray with them, take them out, invite them over, give them a gas card, a gift card to Walmart, pay a bill or two for them....it's more important that a new ipad etc.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:20 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,033,677 times
While technically not PTSD, the effects of long-term unemployment or underemployment can still be devastating. Depression, loss of hope and interest in life, fear and anxiety, and a sense of futile resignation are all common symptoms.

My career was destroyed in June of 2010, and every year since then has been nothing but underemployment or unemployment; as for me, I'm damaged goods and haven't really "lived" since that day. Depression is the norm, as is futility - the realization that a life-time of effort and doing far more than what was expected is worth nothing. I have little interest in the future or activities I once enjoyed, and I mostly just want to get through whatever remains without being a burden on anyone else. I know beyond any doubt that hard work, experience, and a good work ethic are absolutely worthless in this nation, which leaves me with nothing and general sense of "why bother?" I'm just tired of it all - the predatory culture, the infinite excuses made for bad behavior, and the fact that connected idiots and bums are regularly granted lifetime employment while I'll be lucky if I can get a part-time job at Wal-mart. It is disgusting and makes the whole thing seem so pointless.

So, even though PTSD isn't the official term, you can still be badly "messed up" by such experiences.

Good luck.

Old 04-14-2014, 09:28 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,510,437 times
MaryLeeII:

I agree with the others; based on your description you do NOT have PTSD, but a completely-normal reaction to an extremely taxing/draining period in your life. Your constant concern of being put right back into that situation is normal. In fact, it may be the classic "hyper-vigilance" that often follows a major calamity.

Example: I have been in Southern California since 1988. In 1994 I was working for a company whose office was in one of the modern earthquake-resistant buildings that are designed to move and "flex". Following the Northridge Earthquake in 1994, a co-worker (whose house was severely damaged) demonstrated a clear case of hyper-vigilance. She had near-panic attacks with every after-shock, or when the passage of a heavy truck caused the office floor to vibrate. This went on for a couple of weeks, and with every instance her reaction lessened until it disappeared.

She, like you, had clearly been traumatized by the events, but also like you her recovery followed a 'normal' pattern.

Regards and best wishes always,

-- Nighteyes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment