Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 07:53 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,344,148 times

Advertisements

If you are on a time clock and need to punch in, companies do not LIKE you to come in/punch in early. At the retail store I worked in there would be people getting to the time clock area a couple minutes early, or waiting to clock out. And they would be waiting for that clock to tick over and you do not want to punch in early or punch out late as they had to pay you for that time.

Sounds like they had another person who needed the job, likely a relative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 05:40 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,517,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
If you are on a time clock and need to punch in, companies do not LIKE you to come in/punch in early. At the retail store I worked in there would be people getting to the time clock area a couple minutes early, or waiting to clock out. And they would be waiting for that clock to tick over and you do not want to punch in early or punch out late as they had to pay you for that time.

Sounds like they had another person who needed the job, likely a relative.
Actually, I think they're allowed to round off to the nearest 15 minutes - so if someone clocks in up to 7 minutes early, it'd just get rounded up, and if you clock out up to 7 minutes late, it'd just get rounded back.

What I've never understood why employers won't let you clock in a bit early and leave a bit early, to match up to your eight hours or whatever. To make it easier to cope with bus schedules and rush-hour traffic and whatnot, they should make it a requirement that people be allowed to start work within a half-hour window (like 7:30 to 8 am, or whatever), and then have the same sort of "window" at the end of the day (so if you clock in at 7:40, you get to leave at 4:40, or whatever). Sure would make things a whole lot easier for people.

Old 05-21-2012, 05:47 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
if u are getting fired alot, u dont have an employer issue.
u dont have a racial issue, u gota u issue u must find out what is causing this to happen and correct it like yesterday.
this is the monstrous part of employment, trying to look in the mirror, very very hard to do for most of us. its the stuff that everyone around us is clear on but we are utterly blind to.
most sacked people i have known did not have a clue why they could not keep a job, not a clue.they thought they were doing great. they thought the bosses and fellow workers were all crazy.
narrowing the gap between what is your reality and what is theirs will heal this.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:06 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,195,269 times
In order to screw with me claiming unemployment, amongst the reasons for my layoff from my last job

Employer- "You upset people"

Turns out, eight months ago, I was sent some imbeciles work to correct, and they became offended because I had the audacity to actually correct it.

Employer- "The explanations for stuff you give are convoluted"

My boss was an idiot, and so was her boss, and neither, especially her, had the slighest ability to understand the highly mathematical or technical points of my job (which is what happens when psychology majors get MBAs). So, naturally, most everything I said went way over her head. Maybe if they put someone in charge of me who actually knew what they were doing, that might have helped

Employer- "I always have to explain what you are saying to other people"

This happened ONCE. My boss was NEVER involved with my communications to other people outside of one occassion, when her boss woke her up at 8am to have her explain something I said. This is largely because aside from being an idiot himself, he absolutely refused to directly communicate with the person he wanted to talk to, and instead passed it down the chain.

Employer- "I had to correct something on such and such project"

This was a huge project that I was spear heading, which she was supposed to be involved in, but chose to sit in on about 1% of the meetings.

One meeting she happened to sit in on, was the meeting where the contractor first presented MOCK UPS of the projects interface. The contractor demonstrated a lack of understanding on one piece, even though both myself and the project manager expressely explained it to him and thought we were on the same page. Even though this was simply a MOCK UP which was meant to be a first pass to us for the express purpose of IRONING OUT THE KINKS, she used the fact that this contractor was confused on a detail, and her big mouth was the first one to open about said error in the meeting, that somehow this was my fault, and the misrepresentation of it in the MOCK UP was somehow a detrimental detail of the project.

Old 05-21-2012, 01:12 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,904,464 times
I was fired twice. Once when I was 18. I was a cocktail waitress at a beach resort and had gotten written up twice for accidental swearing.

1. A bee flew in my face and I swore
2. I dropped a tray of pina coladas and I swore

They let me go.

When I was 20 I was bartending at a horrible sports bar that went out of business within the same year they fired me. I was told it was because my drawer was over by $100 (yea, I had 4 other people's hands in it all night) and because I took too long to close when I worked alone.

Either way, I moved on to a much better job and was treated well by this next place until I had to eventually move away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment