U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 10:26 PM

794 posts, read 883,372 times
Default What's the strangest excuse an employer has given for firring you?

I was thinking about how I worked for a large retailer chain many years ago. I had a strenuous fast paced job in the deli department. I worked feverishly everyday and always got my work done on time. I even started showing up 10 minutes early to ensure I was on par by the end of the night. After about one month a manager called me into his office and said he had to let me go. His reason was, "your hearts just not into your work".

All I could think was that just seemed like a strange reason for firing someone. I mean I could see firing someone for showing up late, stealing, mouthing off to customers etc.. but that? And how does he know if my hearts not into something or not. I was about 19 at the time and had held a couple of similar jobs prior to working there and never ran into issues.

I was always under the impression that if you show up on time, do your assigned task as expected and don't cause any problems you would be safe. Sometimes I wonder if he just wanted to open up the position to give to someone else who he knew as a favor.

Anybody have any stories?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 06:14 AM

9,856 posts, read 7,420,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwy phantom View Post
I was thinking about how I worked for a large retailer chain many years ago. I had a strenuous fast paced job in the deli department. I worked feverishly everyday and always got my work done on time. I even started showing up 10 minutes early to ensure I was on par by the end of the night. After about one month a manager called me into his office and said he had to let me go. His reason was, "your hearts just not into your work".

All I could think was that just seemed like a strange reason for firing someone. I mean I could see firing someone for showing up late, stealing, mouthing off to customers etc.. but that? And how does he know if my hearts not into something or not. I was about 19 at the time and had held a couple of similar jobs prior to working there and never ran into issues.

I was always under the impression that if you show up on time, do your assigned task as expected and don't cause any problems you would be safe. Sometimes I wonder if he just wanted to open up the position to give to someone else who he knew as a favor.

I have never been fired...but when did you show up at first? I have never worked a day where I didn't show up at least 15 minutes early...

Old 08-11-2011, 06:52 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,744,407 times
Quote:

Those things are all subjective. Working feverishly to you may be slacking to your manager; and he really doesn't know if your heart is in it.. but he simply perceives that you're not doing as much as he think you ought to. And finally - expectations can always be misunderstood if not communicated effectively.

Not saying its right or wrong - but more often than not - perception is reality....and perception overlaps a lot with opinion.

I've never been outright fired. But I was NOT offered a job as because the hiring manager said something to the effect of "not sure how the others will feel reporting to someone younger than they are..."

And no - I never did anything about it. The legality of it never really dawned on me until weeks later.. but I had already started a new job.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:43 AM

2,019 posts, read 2,502,155 times
Quote:
I worked feverishly everyday and always got my work done on time.
Working feverishly to me means fast. Maybe you were curt and brusque with customers. Non-friendly? Impatient maybe?

Quote:
I even started showing up 10 minutes early to ensure I was on par by the end of the night. After about one month a manager called me into his office and said he had to let me go. His reason was, "your hearts just not into your work".
Ten minutes early as opposed to what? When did you come in before you started coming in 10 minutes early? Ten minutes doesn't sound like much time to take off a jacket, put on the deli jacket (if required), wash hands and just generally prepare to begin work at your scheduled time.

Quote:
And how does he know if my hearts not into something or not. I was about 19 at the time and had held a couple of similar jobs prior to working there and never ran into issues.
Obviously the manager saw something. You can tell a lot about a person by their disposition. Maybe you didn't handle an extremely busy counter with a smile? Or projected an attitude that you didn't want to be there? Did you make faces if you were just about to be off for the day and a long line appeared?

Quote:
That's a possibility too. You just never know. Only you know what your attitude was like when working there and whether you got along well with others. It's hard for me to believe that this could be a surprise. Just as managers get a read on the attitude of their workers, worker too get a feel of what their manager thinks of them.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:56 AM

7,047 posts, read 2,959,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
Working feverishly to me means fast. Maybe you were curt and brusque with customers. Non-friendly? Impatient maybe?

Ten minutes early as opposed to what? When did you come in before you started coming in 10 minutes early? Ten minutes doesn't sound like much time to take off a jacket, put on the deli jacket (if required), wash hands and just generally prepare to begin work at your scheduled time.

Obviously the manager saw something. You can tell a lot about a person by their disposition. Maybe you didn't handle an extremely busy counter with a smile? Or projected an attitude that you didn't want to be there? Did you make faces if you were just about to be off for the day and a long line appeared?

That's a possibility too. You just never know. Only you know what your attitude was like when working there and whether you got along well with others. It's hard for me to believe that this could be a surprise. Just as managers get a read on the attitude of their workers, worker too get a feel of what their manager thinks of them.
Has it ever occured to you that some managers might be jerks and that the OP really didnt do anything to warrant firing?

Old 08-11-2011, 11:01 AM

2,019 posts, read 2,502,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Has it ever occured to you that some managers might be jerks and that the OP really didnt do anything to warrant firing?
I said at the end that it was also possible that the manager wanted to hire someone else for the job. We have no idea what the OP was like at work so placing blame on either side is ridiculous. Since the OP asked, I only tried to point out that maybe the manager saw things that he or she didn't think were very good.

Old 08-11-2011, 12:48 PM

10,097 posts, read 13,065,315 times
I have never been fired from a job. I have always come in early to work and stay late. 10 minutes doesn't sound early to me. In my current job my shift is from 8am till 4:30pm. I get to work around 7:30 and usually stay till 5pm even though I don't clock in till 8 and I clock out at 4:30.

Old 08-11-2011, 01:26 PM

7,047 posts, read 2,959,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I have never been fired from a job. I have always come in early to work and stay late. 10 minutes doesn't sound early to me. In my current job my shift is from 8am till 4:30pm. I get to work around 7:30 and usually stay till 5pm even though I don't clock in till 8 and I clock out at 4:30.
Does your supervisor even notice?

Old 08-11-2011, 02:17 PM

8,681 posts, read 7,293,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
No kidding. That would seem to be the point behind the OP, wouldn't it?

"Your heart is not into your work" has got to be one of the dumbest excuses I've ever heard.

Really, if ever this country needed a resurgence of unions, now would be the time.

Old 08-11-2011, 03:15 PM

8,004 posts, read 5,349,434 times
Have not been fired but had some good excuses for being laid off.

"Your going to nursing school, so we're going to go ahead and lay you off. On the bright side, all that vacation time you didn't take will be paid in cash!"

And this one...

"Sometimes, when we're walking in the morning to review the work that needs to be done for the day, your pace is not as fast as mine... So we're going to be laying you off today."

My favorite

"I would like to keep you, but your too slow on the hi-lo".

Funny, because I was never hi-lo certified, and never was trained to drive a hi-lo, and frankly, that wasn't what I was hired to do. Wasn't even a part of my job unless my work was extremely heavy and required machinery. The most ironic part... This guy destroyed $20,000 in parts rushing to move stuff on the hi-lo a few weeks before my lay off . He should have just said, we would like to keep you but I'm an idiot who set the boss back 20K, so to make up for it, you don't have a job anymore

Gotta love the modern day workplace...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment