Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 06:28 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,968,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnemployedRage View Post
You again fail to realize that the country as a whole suffers if people cannot find work proportionate to their abilities.
Wrong, it suffers only if needed work goes undone. Even during periods of low unemployment, some fail to flourish, some always will.

PS, "proportinate to their abilities" is never measured accurately by onself; people are not unbiased towards their own abilities.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Yep, let's send all the college graduates to clean hotels at night. That would be proportionate? Wasted potential is a real problem.
Never happen long-term , nor should it, but will the marginal college grads end up doing not as well, by and large, as their peers? More often than not, yes.
And that is NOT a national problem. It is a problem for the individuals involved.

College grads do enjoy lower unemployment rates, but that is not, nor should it be a guarantee or an annuity.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:52 PM

107 posts, read 381,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Never happen long-term , nor should it, but will the marginal college grads end up doing not as well, by and large, as their peers? More often than not, yes.
And that is NOT a national problem. It is a problem for the individuals involved.

College grads do enjoy lower unemployment rates, but that is not, nor should it be a guarantee or an annuity.
Well I never had anything less than a A in accounting (not even A-) and only one B in finance courses and I can't find a job either as an accountant, bookkeeper or financial analyst. Are you going to call me marginal? What about people who were mediocre at everything?

Old 08-20-2012, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Well I never had anything less than a A in accounting (not even A-) and only one B in finance courses and I can't find a job either as an accountant, bookkeeper or financial analyst. Are you going to call me marginal?

Moderator cut: deleted

How about experience-did you do any internships?

BTW, most analysts positions are looking for people with prior professional experience. In the present economy, staff level accounting spots usually require prior experience. So you may need to start gaining experience as either a temp, or at a lower level accounting position, not forever, but as a starting point.

Depending on your local economy, most likely people with Masters degrees are regualrly applying to staff spots, and they are willing to accept the normal pay range.

Last edited by 7G9C4J2; 08-21-2012 at 04:31 PM.. Reason: removed personal comment

Old 08-20-2012, 09:06 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,902,718 times
Quote:
There is a reason why countries with a high standard of living have a social safety net while hell holes are exclusively on "YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN" principle. Apparently that reason eludes you.
And now we are on the subject of social safety nets... One random, unrelated thought after another, keep em coming

When the interviewer asks you a question, do you simply blurt out whatever comes to mind?

And yes, my quality of life simply can not be sustained if you don't have the perfect, ideal job that is just so "you".

Clean the toilets, flip the burger, sling the caffeinated beverages... Do what you have to do. That's all a job ever was. Don't know who filled your little head with these fantasies of "unfulfilled potential". There are a lot of sad, broken, depressed, underachieving people in the world. That's what the world ultimately demanded/allowed for them. There will always be a segment of sob stories, just as there will be successes.

Old 08-21-2012, 01:27 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,606,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
Even those places are very picky on hiring. If you apply to grocery stores or retail like JC Penny, those applications has a 45 minuet personality test. You'd be d@mn lucky if you got an interview for those places.
exactly, even the simple, low-end, minimum-wage jobs, even McDonalds and other Fast-Food places have a personality test too, Movie Theaters, Target, Walmart, Home-Depot, OSH, Lowe's, almost all retailers and fast-food places, restaurant jobs, customer-service jobs, applying for positions such as bagging groceries, stocking merchandise, gathering shopping-carts, bussing tables or washing dishes, being a ticket-taker at a movie-theater or event-venue, all of those are very picking on hiring too, have those personality assessment tests too, i guess i'll just volunteer in a local hospital in one of those gift-shops that have cashiers

Old 08-21-2012, 04:04 PM

640 posts, read 1,214,714 times
The unemployed bashers always give the "work fast food" excuse but when you tell them (and they realize it themselves) that it's just as if not far more difficult to get jobs like that then it is for a career position they just sit there in silence. That's why I'm a firm believer of speaking out against employers.

Old 08-21-2012, 04:12 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,902,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silenthelpreturns View Post
That's why I'm a firm believer of speaking out against employers.
So you choose to attack the very people who ARE employing Americans, at a time when we could use even more employers? Perhaps you think it would be better if all the employers simply left the country

Once again... NOBODY OWES YOU A LIVING.

Old 08-21-2012, 04:34 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,335,832 times
Since it doesn't appear to be possible to discuss this topic without veering into political commentary, personal attacks and general bashing, the conversation is officially over. Closed permanently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment