Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 08:10 PM

1,336 posts, read 4,965,981 times

Advertisements

its taking recent college grads a year or more to get a job in their field, eventually you will, just keep at it. In the mean time you have to work any kind of job, even a menial job washing dishes. the worst thing on you resume is an employment gap. saying you were looking for a job full time doesnt work. You must work in some capacity and put in on your resume. Then, eventually you will find some kind of job in your field

Old 08-11-2011, 08:24 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,908,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
If it's this easy, how come doesn't everyone go this route? I comb the job boards daily, and I rarely if ever see openings for apprentice positions in ANY field. I find that most people in these fields got in by knowing someone.
Right now, yes, it's almost as competitive as everything else, but not quite. There's still a large group of people who are not willing to take these jobs. If you put effort into applying to trade unions across the country, or taking vocational study courses to complete a certification, you would be in a much better position in terms of potential employment. I have years in my trade, and I still had to move to stay employed in my trade. Right now, you must be willing to go to the work, because it will not come to you.

I just talked to a guy today who was telling me they are screaming for iron workers. Guess what... There are none... They are getting too old and retiring! Now the bosses realize they have to train em if they want a future in the business. So go take some welding classes, apply to some unions, and loose your fear of heights. That college degree may come in handy, but skills are more tangible and can be a good thing to fall back on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
It's possible, you just have to live in a neighborhood where there are daily "home invasions" lol
Is this a joke? You've described the typical Democrat utopia, where taxes are sky high. It is NOT cheap to live in a place like Detroit. Yea, the property is cheap, but that's about it. And the property is cheap for a very good reason.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:35 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Right now, yes, it's almost as competitive as everything else, but not quite. There's still a large group of people who are not willing to take these jobs. If you put effort into applying to trade unions across the country, or taking vocational study courses to complete a certification, you would be in a much better position in terms of potential employment. I have years in my trade, and I still had to move to stay employed in my trade. Right now, you must be willing to go to the work, because it will not come to you.

I just talked to a guy today who was telling me they are screaming for iron workers. Guess what... There are none... They are getting too old and retiring! Now the bosses realize they have to train em if they want a future in the business. So go take some welding classes, apply to some unions, and loose your fear of heights. That college degree may come in handy, but skills are more tangible and can be a good thing to fall back on.

Is this a joke? You've described the typical Democrat utopia, where taxes are sky high. It is NOT cheap to live in a place like Detroit. Yea, the property is cheap, but that's about it. And the property is cheap for a very good reason.

When the neighborhood is cheap to live in, the crime rate is higher.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:43 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times
Quote:
When the neighborhood is cheap to live in, the crime rate is higher.
Not always the case ... I live in one of the cheapest rentals in Los Angeles Metro and our area is not a high crime one...

Old 08-11-2011, 08:44 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,774,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchild08 View Post

My only advice would be to keep applying to places. Maybe spend a few hundreds to go to bar-tending school for a few weeks and land a bar-tending position at a fancy local country club where rich older folks like to relax. There you will get to network with drunk rich people who might be able to give you a job. However, it is hard to even get a bar-tending gig these days.
Sadly, bartending jobs all require experience these days too. I live in your general area, and every bartending job I've seen says 2+ years of bartending experience. Server jobs are the same way.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:58 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Not always the case ... I live in one of the cheapest rentals in Los Angeles Metro and our area is not a high crime one...
What is your defintion of cheap?

Old 08-11-2011, 09:16 PM

188 posts, read 414,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sephiro499 View Post
How do you afford housing on 7.75/hour? Where I live you couldn't even afford to rent a room plus gas and food on that salary.
Plus student loans (if you have them)...

And it is hard to even get retail jobs (at least in my area), because once you get the college degree you are considered over qualified.

Old 08-11-2011, 09:41 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,703,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
its taking recent college grads a year or more to get a job in their field, eventually you will, just keep at it. In the mean time you have to work any kind of job, even a menial job washing dishes. the worst thing on you resume is an employment gap. saying you were looking for a job full time doesnt work. You must work in some capacity and put in on your resume. Then, eventually you will find some kind of job in your field
I had friends in college who spent the better part of a year looking for a first job after greaduation back in the early 90's. It may be more magnified at the moment, but this is not a new phenomenon.

Old 08-11-2011, 09:47 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times
Quote:
What is your defintion of cheap?
Under 1k per month ...

Old 08-13-2011, 06:44 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Even for "entry level" employers like to see that you have some type of prior work or volunteer experience. Even if you worked at McDonald's in high school and a work study situation in college, then a four month internship, it's better than someone with zero experience doing anything except being a student.

I would avoid hiring anyone with a degree who had never held any type of job/internship or performed a significant amount of formal volunteer work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment