Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 06:10 AM

1 posts, read 1,788 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. I've been unemployed my entire life, with the exception of a temporary cashier job which I only had for a few weeks after high school. I'll be 26 next month. Been disabled by medical conditions, and that's been my main problem. Due to a rare incurable sleep condition, my pattern of day/night is interrupted at least once every two weeks on average at random. Sometimes It's even worse and once a week, and rarely I can have a month of consistency if I'm lucky (and really battle for it). As you can imagine, this wreaks havoc on one's ability to effectively pursue employment. I used to have a vehicle, but it deteriorated over the years and fell apart on me. So I am left this way, supported by family, and seemingly unable to get a job...Unless I'm missing something with the 21st century? Is there any legitimate employment I could qualify for via a phone and internet connection? Despite having no guarantee of a consistent work schedule, and no job experience or college education? I am fairly sharp and can communicate ideas well. I have a high IQ (fwtf that's worth), and am willing to work hard. I'm good with most of the functions of W7/XP even though I have no programming knowledge/certifications. I just need something legitimate to do... If I'm not, please just let me know what I already thought I knew, I suppose. It would be nice if nothing else to receive confirmation, and not feel so bad the next time I'm called lazy and weak-willed. (spammers, don't bother, I'm scam resistant having gone through every category imaginable in my late teens already).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 08:59 AM

12,066 posts, read 23,114,094 times
What do you mean when you state you have an "incurable sleep condition?"

Old 08-17-2011, 02:42 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,905,563 times
the blunt truth, no you arn't employable. because you could never be depended upon with your condition.

try for ssi.

Old 08-17-2011, 02:50 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,208,144 times
Why not try freelance writing. You can do it on your own at a time when you are available. I am sure that their are other at home type of work situations.

Old 08-17-2011, 03:50 PM

29,643 posts, read 24,669,992 times
You could find work, but your going to have to work hard to find work. I'm thinking something like what Soon2be said... Anything that gives a 3-4 day window to get the work done, but with no set schedules. As long as you can get the work done by a certain date, you would be able to do this type of work. It requires discipline, and utilizing the internet to find the work. Your going to have to sift through scams to find the legitimate work, but if you put the effort forth, I'm sure you can figure something out if you try hard enough.

How about transcription? That type of job offers flexibility in due dates, but your going to have to work hard to get your typing skills to a point where you can make money. There are schools that teach transcription skills, and schools can be accommodating to health issues. Medical and legal transcription are the two biggest employers of transcription, but businesses also use transcription workers to type out focus groups and sometimes meetings. If your seeking a low risk opportunity, this would be my personal recommendation.

If your good with people, sales would be an option. If you can convince a customer to purchase a product, you stand to make serious money. Commission based jobs would probably be very accommodating. They don't pay you unless you make a sale, so they can take a chance on you and your medical condition. Problem is, if you don't work, you starve. If your not good at it, you also starve. It's still a field that many make good money in. What ever you decide, I wish you luck.

Last edited by andywire; 08-17-2011 at 04:13 PM..

Old 08-17-2011, 04:06 PM

14,229 posts, read 29,918,220 times
Incurable? What meds are you on?

I worked for years on rotating shifts and on call. Sleep or not, you just go to work. There were times I wore rubber bands on my wrists so I could snap myself to stay awake. You just do what you have to do.

Online writing is possible but it's slave wages. Other than that, I would apply for disability.

Old 08-17-2011, 04:15 PM

29,643 posts, read 24,669,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Incurable? What meds are you on?

I worked for years on rotating shifts and on call. Sleep or not, you just go to work. There were times I wore rubber bands on my wrists so I could snap myself to stay awake. You just do what you have to do.

Online writing is possible but it's slave wages. Other than that, I would apply for disability.
Yes, but in many professions, she would be a danger to herself and others if she tried to pull that off. I would not want to share the road with somebody who has not slept the night before.

Old 08-17-2011, 04:40 PM

14,229 posts, read 29,918,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Yes, but in many professions, she would be a danger to herself and others if she tried to pull that off. I would not want to share the road with somebody who has not slept the night before.
True. There were times when I was a danger. That's what the rubber bands are for.

But it was riskier for me to be unemployed!

Old 08-17-2011, 04:48 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,796,522 times
Medical coding might be an option.

There is always a demand for medical coders (people who can understand and do electronic medical billing--to insurance companies, Medicare, Medicaid--and problem-solve when there are billing or coding problems) and people are doing this from their homes now. You can probably take courses online and get a certification, and then get hired by someone (doctor's offices, clinics, home health agencies) to do the work form home. I am in healthcare compliance and don't deal with the coding piece, but I see tons of articles on how the new healthcare laws will mean more coders are needed.

Old 08-17-2011, 04:52 PM

1,336 posts, read 4,948,825 times
yes u could certainly find employment. you could get a job at a supermarket, retail, fast food, movie theatre, receptionist, etc etc etc. tons of people have careers with horrible insomnia and other sleep disorders and other horrible illnesses. at only 26 u could certainly get a job and go from there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment