Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2011, 10:15 AM

83 posts, read 169,064 times

Advertisements

I recently switched jobs in LA and the current company I am employed with wants to contact my previous employer to see if they can get business from them. However, I don't want my previous employer to know where I work just yet. I want to settle into my new job before I tell my previous employer where I work.

Can I somehow tell my manager that if they contact my previous employer, please do not mention that I work here. Or will they question why I don't want them to know? I don't mind them talking to my past employer if they are trying to get business, but I don't want my name mentioned. How could I phrase something like that without my current employer questioning it?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 11:00 AM

5,113 posts, read 5,943,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekosu View Post
I recently switched jobs in LA and the current company I am employed with wants to contact my previous employer to see if they can get business from them. However, I don't want my previous employer to know where I work just yet. I want to settle into my new job before I tell my previous employer where I work.

Can I somehow tell my manager that if they contact my previous employer, please do not mention that I work here. Or will they question why I don't want them to know? I don't mind them talking to my past employer if they are trying to get business, but I don't want my name mentioned. How could I phrase something like that without my current employer questioning it?

Thanks
As a condition of employment for your new job I would think the new employer would have already contacted your previous employer. Did you not provide contact information for you previous employer?

Old 08-19-2011, 11:04 AM

20 posts, read 39,311 times
I think it's better to play open card and just tell us first why you don't want him or her to mention your name because it sounds very suspicious if you'd ask it like that. Does your ex boss wants to beat you up ? Do you still owe him a million dollars? Is he in love with you and is stalking the reason why you left? This is what I would think when you ask me not to mention your name. Sometimes you worry about something that's totally not worth the sweating. If you're a good person than go ahead and tell him why.

Old 08-19-2011, 12:01 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,510,652 times
I would say this has been a confidential job search for personal reasons that have nothing to do with your job performance/or that is not work related. You NEED this to stay confidential. You want to settle into the new job to see if it will work out. That makes sense.I don't see why they would not honor your request to keep it confidential...for now at least. They can't call your other references there, if that's what they want? If they want to use your reference or previous employer to solicit business at your expense, then I would not allow them to do that either. That sounds like they're not doing well if they're so hungry. I myself would feel uncomfortable, whether I have a good ref or not from my previous employer. Let them get their business leads some other way.Are you kidding?

Old 08-19-2011, 12:50 PM

17,574 posts, read 45,981,028 times
I'm trying to figure out why you care, but having a hard time coming up with something.

Old 08-19-2011, 01:24 PM

83 posts, read 169,064 times
I am working for a company that does business with some of my previous employers competitors. Ive only been at this job a couple weeks and would like to take some time to settle in and see how it goes. My previous employer really wants me back and I'm worried that they might either say something bad about me to try to get me fired from my current employer or they might be upset and not allow me to work there again if this job doesn't pan out. As far as references go, they only contacted one of my very close coworkers but none of my previous managers know what company I went to. So id really like to keep my options open for the time being.

Old 08-19-2011, 01:38 PM

17,574 posts, read 45,981,028 times
Then just tell them you don't want them to mention your name. Not sure there is any other solution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment