Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 11:05 AM

3,982 posts, read 10,426,496 times

Advertisements

Just reading the accountants getting low-balled thread, and it makes you think.

Are there just not enough high paying jobs anymore? Or even decent paying?

As more and more get shifted overseas, those people that can re-train do, and they seem to all gravitate towards the same few fields.

As this happens, wages start to drop, starting the search for new decent paying fields.

Doesn't seem like brand NEW types of jobs that haven't existed before are being created fast enough to replace good ones going away.

So, will we all be fighting for the few jobs left (both domestically and from abroad) for the rest of our lives?
Constantly going back for more schooling to learn new jobs?

if so, this BITES!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 11:18 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,656,896 times
What is your definition of "high paying"?

Old 08-19-2011, 11:44 AM

34,091 posts, read 82,455,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
What is your definition of "high paying"?
Where one wage earner works a no overtime required 40 hour job (less holidays, vacations, etc) that earns them enough from that to support their family of another (non working) adult and their two children, to have a nice 12-1500SF suburban home in good condition, with decent furniture, and in a good public school district with a strong rec council sports and arts program... 2 or 3 weeks of nice vacation for all, a couple of decent cars, to save enough to support a retirement and educate their children, purchase a healthy diet for all, good medical and dental care for all and not have debt to do any of it.

Thirty years ago this "lifestyle" was considered a modest perhaps even low or working middle class.
Today it's considered high earning.

Ain't progress great?

Old 08-19-2011, 04:16 PM

29,628 posts, read 24,644,961 times
The only high paying jobs I know of anymore are the ones that are extremely hard to fill, or require many years, almost a decade of education or training. There is just no reason for businesses to pay high wages when people are lining up and on their knees for anything. Also, technology has made many jobs much easier, so less skill required. Ha, and they thought technology was going to do wonders for the worker... Easier job and same/better pay. So not true. Productivity is through the roof for most companies, yet wages just keep going down, down, down In fact, higher productivity means less workers required to do the same amount of work!

Old 08-19-2011, 04:28 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,203,776 times
The new high paying jobs will be in weapons development when we enter WW3 and start fighting nations that are crippling us financially.

Old 08-19-2011, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
The new high paying jobs will be in weapons development when we enter WW3 and start fighting nations that are crippling us financially.
Actually, out of all my friends, the one doing the best works for a company that designs and builds military weapons. If you ever wanted a secure job that pays decent, that would be the best bet. He's also getting his supply chain management degree paid for by the company. Can't beat that!

Old 08-19-2011, 04:37 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,869,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Where one wage earner works a no overtime required 40 hour job (less holidays, vacations, etc) that earns them enough from that to support their family of another (non working) adult and their two children, to have a nice 12-1500SF suburban home in good condition, with decent furniture, and in a good public school district with a strong rec council sports and arts program... 2 or 3 weeks of nice vacation for all, a couple of decent cars, to save enough to support a retirement and educate their children, purchase a healthy diet for all, good medical and dental care for all and not have debt to do any of it.

Thirty years ago this "lifestyle" was considered a modest perhaps even low or working middle class.
Today it's considered high earning.

Ain't progress great?
When did this exist? Which decade? One thing I've learned from this economy is how many adults were living above their means and being subsidized by family---something that's been going on for decades.

For example, in the 1940's/50's my grandparents were doing great--Grandpa worked, Grandma stayed home. But they couldn't afford to send 4 kids to college nor did they have a big house. Furniture was either built or handed down. Heck, they built their own house. They had the space to grow their own food and canned it, too. Grandma sewed all of their clothes (and mine, too, come to think of it). The land, on the other hand, was given to them by family and had been in the family for generations. Same thing with my other grandparents and my in-law grandparents. Even though my grandma didn't work outside of the house, she sure worked in it.

Old 08-19-2011, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
When did this exist? Which decade? One thing I've learned from this economy is how many adults were living above their means and being subsidized by family---something that's been going on for decades.

For example, in the 1940's/50's my grandparents were doing great--Grandpa worked, Grandma stayed home. But they couldn't afford to send 4 kids to college nor did they have a big house. Furniture was either built or handed down. Heck, they built their own house. They had the space to grow their own food and canned it, too. Grandma sewed all of their clothes (and mine, too, come to think of it). The land, on the other hand, was given to them by family and had been in the family for generations. Same thing with my other grandparents and my in-law grandparents. Even though my grandma didn't work outside of the house, she sure worked in it.
Notice how they we're so self sufficient. People have gotten away from that, and are basically in deep trouble these days. I know plenty of people who can't even cook a meal from scratch. Sucks to be lazy.

Old 08-19-2011, 04:45 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,426,496 times
High pay would vary from city to city.

In the Tampa area, over 35k a yr and you are doing better than average.

Old 08-19-2011, 04:45 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,203,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Notice how they we're so self sufficient. People have gotten away from that, and are basically in deep trouble these days. I know plenty of people who can't even cook a meal from scratch. Sucks to be lazy.
notice the key in that last post, they had LAND handed down to them. If you look at land costs in desirable areas you could buy a star bucks coffee every day for 1000 years for the cost of some of this land, thats the real crux of the matter. No one can start buisness or do anything becuase land costs and land taxes have rocketed outside of the earths gravitational pull and are floating away into deep space.

Starbucks is not the problem, the problem is the artificially inflated costs of key items nessicary for prosperity, like land, building materials, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment