U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-20-2011, 03:39 PM

984 posts, read 898,063 times

Advertisements

I am moving to a new area - been offered a permanent job.

Looks like the Salary is OK - nothing to get excited about - I am sure there are others my age earning a good bit more. I have earned more on contracts in the past - just feels the salary I can't see me saving much from it.

But on the positive - its long term, gives me a chance to get more training, career development - and become a team leader as opposed to contracts where you are there to do a job.

Some people say - just take its a foot in the door - and you can move into something else after after a while.

Other say - no I should go and get something better paid - as its too low - but at the moment its the only offer I have!!!

I don't want to be unemployed for 4 months waiting on right offer to come in!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2011, 04:30 PM

8,028 posts, read 5,917,513 times
How old are you? If you are young, you can always look at it as a learning opportunity that will boost your resume and build your potential for better opportunities down the road. There's nothing wrong with that. Now's the time to hunker down and hone in on your abilities, while preparing for better times. If the salary isn't ideal, it will also help teach you how to budget and get by on less, which will serve well once you make better money down the road. There are plenty of people who made great money 4 or 5 years ago who wish they had learned before how to set an honest budget.

Old 08-20-2011, 04:32 PM

103 posts, read 102,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyking View Post

Looks like the Salary is OK - nothing to get excited about - I am sure there are others my age earning a good bit more. I have earned more on contracts in the past - just feels the salary I can't see me saving much from it.

But on the positive - its long term, gives me a chance to get more training, career development - and become a team leader as opposed to contracts where you are there to do a job.

Some people say - just take its a foot in the door - and you can move into something else after after a while.

Other say - no I should go and get something better paid - as its too low - but at the moment its the only offer I have!!!

I can't see why you wouldn't take this job. Taking a OK lower paying job with those positives verses being unemployed waiting for a better paying job to come along. I think you know what to do. Good luck

Old 08-20-2011, 08:55 PM
FBJ

35,233 posts, read 24,526,462 times
Quote:

If you are in the beginning of your unemployment period then I would say look for something better.

Old 08-20-2011, 09:35 PM

778 posts, read 616,848 times
Default Opportunity Cost

Quote:

If you are unemployed for four months while you could have been earning a salary, you will have to get quite the bump in pay once you start working to "break even". Say you forego $2K per month. That's $8K that could have been in your pocket. If the job you passed up was $24K per year, you will need to get an offer of $32K per year on the first day of Month 5 in order to have made that wait worthwhile.

Also, please consider checking out the demographics and UE rate at your target destination. If the UE rate is higher than where you are or trending higher than where you are, take that into consideration. Finally, find out from combing the BLS or Census Bureau websites whether people are moving in, or moving out of your target destination - if people are fleeing, that's an important piece of information, IMHO. Another way to get this info is to look up the moving van company sites and check the cost of a move out, vs. a move in. If it costs more to move out, that means everybody's leaving. If it costs more to move in, that means people are going there.

Just some things to think about. Best of luck.

Just sayin'.

Old 08-20-2011, 10:34 PM

11,120 posts, read 9,312,638 times
Take the job. Take whatever training looks good on a resume. Stay for a couple of years and get experience. Jump if something better comes up after a few years. Becoming a Team Leader is them just getting more work out of you and not paying you for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment