Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 01:43 PM

415 posts, read 614,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Not really cause right now there are jobs in our country. just not in every state like California/Illinois etc. I would look at the top 10 states for business according to CEO magazine and see which ones are up there. Those are the states with jobs. I know that Flordia was 2nd, Texas was #1 and Indiana was 6th and 1st in the midwest. People might have to move to get jobs but thats fine cause thats how this economy is going to be for some time
No, not every state is Nevada, California, or Illinois. But very few states are doing well. My Texas relatives tell me not to move there -- the unemployment rate is nearly the same as here in Orange county. I just moved here from Utah; and Utah is sinking fast but is always ranked highly in employment lists, since it has 7.3% unemployment. I've got tons of family and friends in Utah who cannot find work, have had their hours cut, or some combo of both. I have a good friend who lost her job at a call center; took her a month to get a job at McDonalds; now that McDonalds is getting hit (yes, a McDonalds!) by the recession with a huge drop in sales, so they are cutting hours for now. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that she doesn't lose her job, even though it barely pays her rent when she works regularly. My mother has not been able to find a new job; my brother and one of his friends spent two years unemployed. When I applied for a job at Primary Children's as a CNA a year and a half ago, 500 people applied. Intermountain Healthcare isn't doing so hot. My dad isn't getting overtime as much anymore--they used to work people 45 hours a week where he works, now he's down to 40. He hasn't gotten a raise in two years. Another friend moved back in with his parents. He's married and has two kids. He finally got a job about a year ago after a long while unemployed but its not enough for him and his wife and their children to get their own place.

And don't get me started on Iowa and Missouri...lots of unemployment there too.

And where to move? I've heard horror stories over on Free Republic of people moving to Oklahoma and Utah and places like them with low unemployment and ending up homeless and miles away from loved ones. I'm also doubtful that North and South Dakota (which have the lowest unemployment rates) could provide jobs just for the unemployed in Utah, let alone a larger state like California, Illinois or Texas.

There just are simply not enough jobs to go around. I'd move too if I lived in an area like Las Vegas, where I'm from that has 14% unemployment, but reality is that even with relocating to a lower unemployment state, you still have to deal with the fact that the lower unemployment state also has a higher than normal number, and its still going to be a battle to get a job. A lesser one, but still a battle. Even in Utah, it is estimated that the average Utahan takes around 4 months right now to find work. That's better than Vegas where its more like a year, but 4 months of not working is still 4 months of not working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
So many of the unemployed are over 55 and not likely to riot. Some will commit petty crimes to get imprisoned until they can collect Social Security. One man robbed a bank for a dollar and then waited in the lobby for his arrest.
At least in Salt Lake and OC, a lot of them are also under 35...and very willing to riot. I'm seeing a lot more anger in my generation, and even in other age groups.

I can count those happy with the way this country is going using one hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Yes, it will likely happen in areas where the rent-an-anarchist people will stir up those that have never worked and have their welfare and food stamps cut off due to budget problems caused by the newly unemployed. Those people that worked in factories and construction with a wife and kids are not going to get involved in such a waste of time that could result in jail time and prevent them from ever getting a job again.
The welfare queens are not the only ones getting angry. Don't doubt desperate people, even desperate, normally law abiding people. If a man can't feed his kids, you can bet he'll do whatever it takes to see to it that they eat.

I'm personally frustrated with this country. I hate the direction its going; I'm tired of the lack of compromise. There's no middle; I have choice between Nutjob A and Nutjob B; one spends like a drunken sailor and the other cuts everything. I don't think either party is ever going to address the problems that got us here; so we'll continue to stay here. Just under Republicans, I'm sure there will be rioting if they cut off the entitlements. Like I said, no jobs...and people are not going to go off and die quietly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 01:45 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,495,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suissegrl702 View Post
No, not every state is Nevada, California, or Illinois. But very few states are doing well. My Texas relatives tell me not to move there -- the unemployment rate is nearly the same as here in Orange county. I just moved here from Utah; and Utah is sinking fast but is always ranked highly in employment lists, since it has 7.3% unemployment. I've got tons of family and friends in Utah who cannot find work, have had their hours cut, or some combo of both. I have a good friend who lost her job at a call center; took her a month to get a job at McDonalds; now that McDonalds is getting hit (yes, a McDonalds!) by the recession with a huge drop in sales, so they are cutting hours for now. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that she doesn't lose her job, even though it barely pays her rent when she works regularly. My mother has not been able to find a new job; my brother and one of his friends spent two years unemployed. When I applied for a job at Primary Children's as a CNA a year and a half ago, 500 people applied. Intermountain Healthcare isn't doing so hot. My dad isn't getting overtime as much anymore--they used to work people 45 hours a week where he works, now he's down to 40. He hasn't gotten a raise in two years. Another friend moved back in with his parents. He's married and has two kids. He finally got a job about a year ago after a long while unemployed but its not enough for him and his wife and their children to get their own place.

And where to move? I've heard horror stories over on Free Republic of people moving to Oklahoma and Utah and places like them with low unemployment and ending up homeless and miles away from loved ones. I'm also doubtful that North and South Dakota (which have the lowest unemployment rates) could provide jobs just for the unemployed in Utah, let alone a larger state like California, Illinois or Texas.

There just are simply not enough jobs to go around. I'd move too if I lived in an area like Las Vegas, where I'm from that has 14% unemployment, but reality is that even with relocating to a lower unemployment state, you still have to deal with the fact that the lower unemployment state also has a higher than normal number, and its still going to be a battle to get a job. A lesser one, but still a battle. Even in Utah, it is estimated that the average Utahan takes around 4 months right now to find work. That's better than Vegas where its more like a year, but 4 months of not working is still 4 months of not working.

At least in Salt Lake and OC, a lot of them are also under 35...and very willing to riot. I'm seeing a lot more anger in my generation, and even in other age groups.

The welfare queens are not the only ones getting angry. Don't doubt desperate people, even desperate, normally law abiding people. If a man can't feed his kids, you can bet he'll do whatever it takes to see to it that they eat.

I'm personally frustrated with this country. I hate the direction its going; I'm tired of the lack of compromise. There's no middle; I have choice between Nutjob A and Nutjob B; one spends like a drunken sailor and the other cuts everything. I don't think either party is ever going to address the problems that got us here; so we'll continue to stay here. Just under Republicans, I'm sure there will be rioting if they cut off the entitlements. Like I said, no jobs...and people are not going to go off and die quietly.
Depends on what area of Texas. for Example here in Indiana the Lake County area is the worst area of the state (No dip its near Chicago lol) however the Indianapolis area since its the capital and crossroads and cheap to do business is the best area. Texas has its high areas and low areas. Check the Metro Unemployment rates on the BLS.gov website to get an Idea

Old 08-25-2011, 02:27 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,216,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suissegrl702 View Post

When the rubber met the road I would probably die quietly because this earth is not the end and God is likely not going to look favorably on roiting. Maybe an organized civil war in which thoes rising up were in Gods favor but not just random roiting.

I would probably poach and animal before I roited.

Old 08-25-2011, 02:44 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,574,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Yes, it will likely happen in areas where the rent-an-anarchist people will stir up those that have never worked and have their welfare and food stamps cut off due to budget problems caused by the newly unemployed. Those people that worked in factories and construction with a wife and kids are not going to get involved in such a waste of time that could result in jail time and prevent them from ever getting a job again.
I disagree. There are a lot of people in this country who are getting angry with the direction of the country, and it isn't just people who have never worked.

If you have a person that you just described who is a family man who is out of work due to the lack of construction jobs and is out of options you think they're going to sit on their hands?

Desperate people do desperate things. There have been two bank robberies in the last month in my area by people who have no criminal record and were out of work. One guy said he laid off and behind in his mortgage and child support.

So don't underestimate what people will and won't do, and assume only those who get entitlements will "act up".

Old 08-25-2011, 05:13 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,934,632 times
Well said, seain dublin. I've noticied non-criminals being arrested for similar stuff this year.

Old 08-25-2011, 05:13 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,569,155 times
The powers that be in the country do a pretty good job of keeping civil unrest tamped down. Things would have to get significantly worse for everyday people before you'd start to see it rise dramatically. Although, you'd have to a fool not to think we're still definitely heading further in that direction. If too many people start loosing their social safety nets due to this austerity kick Washington seems to be on, you'll may start to see something.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:48 PM

1,361 posts, read 3,707,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
During the great depression, there were plenty of people committing petty crimes as a way to get the 3 hots and a cot. It probably looks attractive to a certain segment of the population, but welfare and government programs are now the new 3 hots and a cot. I think these programs have always been a way to keep a certain segment of the population content. If that ever changes... Look out!

I think if American's ever do wake up, you might see some civil unrest equivalent to what we've seen in England and Greece. Will it turn into anything more than a show though? Hard to say. America is a big country, and with the government being so inefficient and bloated, who knows how effectively they will be able to respond quickly to widespread disorder. An important thing to remember... We are the most heavily armed population in the world. Who knows what would happen if people get upset enough. None the less, this country has weathered recessions and a depression. People grumbled about it, and nothing has changed. American's have a way of shrugging their shoulders about these types of problems and saying "oh well, what can I do about it?" American idle and social media also serves as a strong distraction. Now if those things become jeopardized... REALLY look out!
I agree. If everyone's iphone stopped working tomorrow and people could no longer access Facebook, it would be pandemonium. It doesn't take much for Americans to riot. But you have to realize that millions of Americans priorities are completely out of wack. People will riot over the release of an exclusive Air Jordan sneaker (slave-labor produced shoes that costs $5 to make in China but retail for $200+ stateside) but will not riot when thousands of factories are shutdown. If everyone's foodstamps and unemployment benefits were yanked, I would start looking into building a remote cabin in Wyoming or somewhere.

Houston mall riot over latest Air Jordans - KLTV 7 News Tyler, Longview, Jacksonville |

Old 08-25-2011, 11:12 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,574,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Well said, seain dublin. I've noticied non-criminals being arrested for similar stuff this year.
Exactly. For people who pay attention to the news we're seeing crimes of desperation.

And this isn't your grandmother's depression where people would go door to door looking for work in exchange for a meal.

We now have a much more violent society where they will knock the door down and take what they want.

Old 08-25-2011, 11:25 PM

2 posts, read 3,037 times
>>"The welfare queens are not the only ones getting angry"

the biggest welfare queens are: Goldman Sachs & J.P.Morgan, actually J.P. Morgan runs a majority of the food stamp programs in the US. Brought to you by the same Bankers who borrow from the Fed at 0.5% and then charge you for 29.999% credit cards. Thats not free market capitalism, its crony capitalism.

Old 08-26-2011, 12:32 AM

1,697 posts, read 3,476,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbstractPainter View Post
>>"The welfare queens are not the only ones getting angry"

the biggest welfare queens are: Goldman Sachs & J.P.Morgan, actually J.P. Morgan runs a majority of the food stamp programs in the US. Brought to you by the same Bankers who borrow from the Fed at 0.5% and then charge you for 29.999% credit cards. Thats not free market capitalism, its crony capitalism.
Folks, we have a winner!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment