Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 03:45 PM

8,061 posts, read 12,774,958 times

Advertisements

Just thinking about the current situation and the millions of idle construction and former factory workers who have lost it all in this downturn. The jobs will never come back in the numbers to accommodate half these workers and the jobs that remain will see downward pressure on wages due to simple supply and demand.

It is simplistic to say "retrain" when a lot of these people are in their 50's and nearing the end of their working careers. The job growth is just not there, over the past two years job growth has not even been close to accommodate new workers entering the workforce let alone enough to absorb the millions of excess workers.Of course it isn't limited to these two industries, many older white collar workers lost their jobs and will likely never see them return.

The problem with retraining is, while it improves a workers skill, it does nothing about their employability. All else being equal between two equally trained individuals, the employer will select the younger one if just for the cost savings in health plans. Another issue is ability; after years on the factory floor and lack of education, many just won't or can't learn new tricks.

This leads me to my point. With so many older people reaching (or soon to reach) the point where they have nothing to lose, will we descend into chaos and revolt? Is it expected that these millions of broke desperate people just go off into the woods and die like an old dog?

I was discussing this online with anonymous individuals and many have stated that if they go out they are going to take some of the politicians with them. I see this as a very distinct possibility when you have a guy in his mid to late 50's who has lost his home, burned through his life savings and has no idea where he is going to live or how he is going to pay for his next meal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 03:59 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,031,639 times
If something doesn't change, it will. If you study history, that's what always happens.

I doubt we will be exempt. When enough people find they have nothing to lose, they will consider the limitations of incarceration to be nothing worse than the prison of abject poverty. After all, you get free medical, food, and a place to sleep. When that starts sounding good to a large segment of the population...watch out!

Old 08-24-2011, 04:03 PM

880 posts, read 1,800,034 times
Maybe so, I think the real danger is if the Government takes away things like welfare and food stamps you'll see a major spike in crime.

Like Gerald Celente says, " When people lose everything and have nothing left to lose, the lose it. "

Old 08-24-2011, 04:11 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,902,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
If something doesn't change, it will. If you study history, that's what always happens.

I doubt we will be exempt. When enough people find they have nothing to lose, they will consider the limitations of incarceration to be nothing worse than the prison of abject poverty. After all, you get free medical, food, and a place to sleep. When that starts sounding good to a large segment of the population...watch out!
During the great depression, there were plenty of people committing petty crimes as a way to get the 3 hots and a cot. It probably looks attractive to a certain segment of the population, but welfare and government programs are now the new 3 hots and a cot. I think these programs have always been a way to keep a certain segment of the population content. If that ever changes... Look out!

I think if American's ever do wake up, you might see some civil unrest equivalent to what we've seen in England and Greece. Will it turn into anything more than a show though? Hard to say. America is a big country, and with the government being so inefficient and bloated, who knows how effectively they will be able to respond quickly to widespread disorder. An important thing to remember... We are the most heavily armed population in the world. Who knows what would happen if people get upset enough. None the less, this country has weathered recessions and a depression. People grumbled about it, and nothing has changed. American's have a way of shrugging their shoulders about these types of problems and saying "oh well, what can I do about it?" American idle and social media also serves as a strong distraction. Now if those things become jeopardized... REALLY look out!

Old 08-24-2011, 04:19 PM

If I were an elected official it would be of great concern to me. It seems as if they are more concerned with taking care of their campaign donors rather than addressing the mess they have created.

All of this is a direct result of government policy over the years and there is a price yet to be paid for selling out the citizens in favor of the kleptocracy. A simple example is the repeal of Glass-Steagall which resulted in a financial meltdown less than ten years later by the Gramm–Leach–Bliley Act. In my opinion those three individuals should be swinging from a tree on the national mall as a reminder to other lawmakers who put their campaign donors ahead of common sense and the American citizens.

Old 08-24-2011, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
During the great depression, there were plenty of people committing petty crimes as a way to get the 3 hots and a cot. It probably looks attractive to a certain segment of the population, but welfare and government programs are now the new 3 hots and a cot. I think these programs have always been a way to keep a certain segment of the population content. If that ever changes... Look out!

I think if American's ever do wake up, you might see some civil unrest equivalent to what we've seen in England and Greece. Will it turn into anything more than a show though? Hard to say. America is a big country, and with the government being so inefficient and bloated, who knows how effectively they will be able to respond quickly to widespread disorder. An important thing to remember... We are the most heavily armed population in the world. Who knows what would happen if people get upset enough. None the less, this country has weathered recessions and a depression. People grumbled about it, and nothing has changed. American's have a way of shrugging their shoulders about these types of problems and saying "oh well, what can I do about it?" American idle and social media also serves as a strong distraction. Now if those things become jeopardized... REALLY look out!
Except, unlike the British, Americans are armed.

Old 08-24-2011, 04:29 PM

379 posts, read 1,401,334 times
I am far from my 50's and still young enough to be retrained but nowhere near employable. At this point, I am all ready feeling restless about the (un)employment situation.

One thing for sure is that I have my torch and pitchfork ready, all I need is the word for when and where we begin make the change for the better.

Old 08-24-2011, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamrollinglow View Post
I am far from my 50's and still young enough to be retrained but nowhere near employable. At this point, I am all ready feeling restless about the (un)employment situation.

One thing for sure is that I have my torch and pitchfork ready, all I need is the word for when and where we begin make the change for the better.
I'm starting to feel unemployable myself. I don't know what the age threshold is but I think its safe to say I have exceeded it.

What do these idiots in Washington think is going to happen? The "quantitative easing" (aka increasing the money supply) is exactly the WRONG response to our problem which is excess debt. They are fighting the excess debt problem as if it were a lack of liquidity. There is no lack of liquidity, there is a lack of ability to take on more debt which has been what has fueled growth in GDP since the 1980's (Average growth in GDP 4.2% vs average growth in debt of 7.8%)

The direct result of the efforts to save campaign donors (banks/corporations) with excess liquidity and ZIRP (zero interest rate policy) is just screwing the average American blue. Elderly get NOTHING on their insured deposits or safe investments while pumping money into the economy is increasing commodity prices thereby increasing the cost of living for American citizens. It is all intentionally done to save bankers from their previous bad decisions.

I can honestly say that I consider the two political parties a bigger threat to the average American than Al queda ever could be. The politicians are looting our country as the American voters are bought off by petty ideological debates.While I believe the Tea Party is just a republican cheer-leading squad it is amazing a politician called them terrorists when in fact the same thing could be said about her political crime family. I knew this whole terrorism crock was just a grab for more power and control by the entrenched politicians. Easy answer to anyone who disagrees with you? Terrorist.

Last edited by Wartrace; 08-24-2011 at 05:13 PM.. Reason: To avoid internment at GITMO

Old 08-24-2011, 05:42 PM

42 posts, read 86,076 times
I agree. I think people are getting tired of the power struggles in Washington and want results. I'm employed but as a contractor. I don't get medical insurance and I have a pre existing condition that prevents me from getting my own. I am weary of "Obamacare" because I don't trust insurance companies. But I fear more the republican notion of repealing and things just getting worse. When they say they are going to repeal it, all I hear is a direct "********* and die". I've grown tired of being drained by healthcare. I did what I was suppose to. Went to college and have some work experience but still struggle for a decent salary and affordable healthcare. I'm trying to better myself but so are thousands of other people. It's no secret that it's tough out there.

I see all those who are unemployed. Many are educated with skills and still can't find work. Many jobs are not coming back. And we have thousands of others going through school every year who are getting dumped into the same slim job market. Yet we have politicians who still protect corporations. Make it easy for jobs to be shipped overseas. The same politicians who want to cut Social Security and Medicare. Want to cut back or eliminate welfare. Politicians who want to keep preaching about trickle down economics (that doesn't work) and want to destroy unions and other government regulations that protect workers. It's scary.

People are getting angry. I can't imagine a future in America where unemployment is low and salaries are good anymore. Many people are going to be on the losing end of the political warfare going on in this country and it's going to get ugly. I just sense this pressure building. It may not happen this year but it does seems like a calm before the storm. I expect fall of 2012 when the political rhetoric is going to be savage and tense is going to stir things up BIG TIME. It just may be the trigger to start the civil unrest that we are seeing in other parts of the world. I hope it doesn't but I see everything falling into place for it to happen.

Old 08-24-2011, 05:48 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,513,229 times
Not really cause right now there are jobs in our country. just not in every state like California/Illinois etc. I would look at the top 10 states for business according to CEO magazine and see which ones are up there. Those are the states with jobs. I know that Flordia was 2nd, Texas was #1 and Indiana was 6th and 1st in the midwest. People might have to move to get jobs but thats fine cause thats how this economy is going to be for some time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment