Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 03:47 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by taigagirl View Post
I wouldn't interpret it to mean that there will be a job waiting for me in a couple of weeks..it sounds like pleasant, small talk. There is nothing definitive in a conversation such as you have described, unless you left some parts out such as "I hope you will be well rested when you come back to work on ________". That's my take on it...

She said it was good to hear from me and asked was I well rested. So that means it's about to be ON very shortly. Plus the email I sent really didn't require a response.

"Hello just letting you know I have a new contact number now and no longer using the one I gave you in July."

I was basically letting her know I'm still available and she sounded happy that I was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 03:51 PM

29,796 posts, read 24,880,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
She said it was good to hear from me and asked was I well rested. So that means it's about to be ON very shortly. Plus the email I sent really didn't require a response.

"Hello just letting you know I have a new contact number now and no longer using the one I gave you in July."

I was basically letting her know I'm still available and she sounded happy that I was.
Haha, it's on, and your off. The company likely laid you off in preparation for what they are considering a possible double dip. If that happens, you won't be working for that company, that's for sure. Take it from someone who has been laid off a few times... They usually don't call back to ask you to come in monday. Yes, they will do the small talk, but the small talk WONT pay your bills. There are plenty of people who will work much cheaper than you will.

Old 08-26-2011, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Do you realize how long it will likely take you to find a job in this economy? You've been laid off for about a month at least, from what I recall. And your taking a vacation now? Cmon dude, you've got to get a handle on reality here. And not applying on Friday through Sunday because they're not business days? Do you think HR managers will not read your resume if you post it on a Saturday? I've heard many HR managers state the best time to apply is Friday at around midnight, as your resume will be on the top of the pile (more like mountain) come Monday. Your loosing so much ground by not utilizing your resources (time) properly. This is coming from someone considerably younger than you, and it would appear you have quite a deficit in what I call real life skills.

I don't wory about the economy, I worry about me. Plus lots of my friends have been getting jobs recently which lets me know I will be fine

Old 08-26-2011, 03:57 PM

29,796 posts, read 24,880,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I don't wory about the economy, I worry about me. Plus lots of my friends have been getting jobs recently which lets me know I will be fine
Ok man, your on your own. Good luck. You may like wasting your time, but I don't. Remember how your were whining about how much you would hate having to move back with your parents? Well, if that isn't motivation enough, then your lot in life is about to get smaller. I wish you the best, but

Old 08-26-2011, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Isn't this the premise of this thread (which has flown off topic) companies who call you and you are annoyed by it, yet you feel it's okay to do it to them. Now, what's wrong with this picture (and thread)?

I said I don't want pharmacy, telemarkter, or debt collection calls. I do want calls from companies I submitted resumes to.

BTW: the old number today had 6 calls and 2 messages, one from comcast and a debt collection call-lol

That's why I have a new number

Old 08-26-2011, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Haha, it's on, and your off. The company likely laid you off in preparation for what they are considering a possible double dip. If that happens, you won't be working for that company, that's for sure. Take it from someone who has been laid off a few times... They usually don't call back to ask you to come in monday. Yes, they will do the small talk, but the small talk WONT pay your bills. There are plenty of people who will work much cheaper than you will.
They already did, it was on a Thursday 2 years ago. before the following Monday. And like I said if she was interested in bringing me back she would have ignored my email.

Old 08-26-2011, 04:18 PM

521 posts, read 859,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiScree View Post
I try to think that we, as humans, are capable of critical thinking skills that would make you think twice about the truth of blanket statements such as these.

It is not a fundamental waste of your time if you are actively (not fake applying) handing out resumes seeking employment. If you weren't so blinded in your way of thinking you could see this and understand it. You are wasting your own time by doing the things you exclaim to be helping your overall goal (we call that irony). You aren't wasting the time of the person conducting the interview. Surprise! They're doing what they're paid to do while you, the "smart one who's wasting their time", is still unemployed wasting your own time. Get it? I hate hand holding but I'm off today with nothing better to do. Any more questions?

If you spent half your time physically looking for jobs instead of "research" on the internet, "fake applying", or silly things like that you'd have been hired days (perhaps weeks) ago. I say this, of course, not knowing if you had been doing this but my (horrible) deductive reasoning tells me you've been doing your own thing.

I wanted to quote myself since he's only quoting and responding to things that doesn't really challenge his viewpoints.

I'd like your input on my advice if you will.

Old 08-26-2011, 04:30 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Darn, I was going to respond to a few posts on this thread which appeared during the time I was busting my chops doing manual labor but finally deleted them all because the same conclusion rang loud and clear.

TVSG, you remain as much your own worst enemy as you were when you first started posting on CD three years ago. Not only have you never taken advice from anyone but you've recently decreed that you simply will not accept ANY advice from ANYONE where employment searches are concerned because you know all and have no need of input from anyone. You contradict yourself left, right and center and don't recall what you said within one thread, let alone what you said previously on other relevant threads.

Hapless, hopeless and a total mess.

Old 08-26-2011, 04:32 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
I'd like your input on my advice if you will.
Hold not your breath lest you suffocate.

Old 08-26-2011, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Of course you did that in the past. You seem very content with pissing away time and energy on things that, a somewhat psychologically balanced individual would understand, is getting you nowhere through life in general. Practice dates? Fake apply? Practice interviews?

I'm not trying to sound condescending but you seem to not be able to grasp the inconvenience you cause to society by you, yourself, seeking the most convenient way to personally do things. This, strictly by society's definition, is not a normal trait to display.

Also you seem to be mocking the advice of the people you asked for advice from in the first place. There's nothing wrong with that except you aren't even taking the advice to heart and applying it to how possibly it could assist you in the future. What's the point in posting questions and seeking advice if you have no intention (assumption based only on your previous life experience explained by you) of following some sort of angle on the advice that was given? You aren't even willing to ignore the advice given yet still let it affect your overall stance on the subject. Some of us refer to this as "obsession" and, depending on the instance, likewise is not a desirable trait to have.

Again, I'm not trying to be condescending but you must begin to start thinking how rediculous your previous posts have sounded.

P.S. - I don't like you because you just made me use my degree to sound smart. I'm not really that smart.

The question was posted to start a discussion not to receive advice. I basically wanted to see if anyone else got fed up with non business calls when looking for a job
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment