Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2011, 07:52 AM

59 posts, read 147,816 times

Advertisements

I just left a job at a daycare center recently. I was miserable and was developing severe chest pains and headaches as a result of the owner's constant screaming and criticizing of me. She told me that a co-worker who no longer works there was complaining "bitterly" about me and she and her husband (who doesn't work there) said they saw me sitting around doing nothing- the only day I saw the husband walk in was when the kids were sleeping during naptime and my co-workers sat down also. The owner had been out for a month and upon returning told me I would be fired at the end of the week. I was not- however this week she told me that I wasn't doing anything to recruit kids and that she had to cut back staff (meaning me). I would have no job at the end of the week. I'm also missing overtime pay and was criticized and screamed at in front of the children and a co-worker. I had to leave because I was crying everyday I was there. I had no one to talk to and no constructive criticism. I was yelled at for minor things and there was no structure or curriculum put in place. I was not told that most of the children there had behavioral and emotional problems. The kids would hit, choke and kick each other (to the point of seeing blood) and curse each other everyday. Being a part timer meant I had no benefits and no workers protection. NY is a right to work state so you can get fired at anytime. I got fired for calling in sick and she called me a liar. My mom told me to try to deal with the job but it was too much. I never worked with a place with so much distress. She said I shouldn't leave but I couldn't justify staying. If I were getting salary and benefits I would have dealt with the job (my co-worker got a salary and vacation time so she could get a break before she quit). I'm working on my grad degree in elementary education and my certification so I can make more money.

My brother said I have problems keeping jobs but I always end up in situations where I have no options and either the job is part-time contract and pays very little and/or has no advancement opportunities. I'm looking for yet another job. I would like an office job or something with some stability (better hours and better pay) and can also accommodate my night school. I have been turned down for office jobs because I have a lot of education experience on my resume. There was one marketing job that I really wanted but they said I had too much education experience on my resume (after a one hour interview), several summer teaching jobs I was passed up for and I have an interview next week for a job working in a home for the developmentally disabled. None of my jobs have been long term or have led to a career. I always get bored or frustrated by the low pay or the nature of the work. But if I quit or get fired I never hear the end of it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment