Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 09:02 AM

147 posts, read 212,947 times

Advertisements

How do you answer this question?? Obviously, I have been looking for a job. Somehow I don't think that's what interviewers want to hear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 09:23 AM

1,248 posts, read 4,049,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *lorie View Post
How do you answer this question?? Obviously, I have been looking for a job. Somehow I don't think that's what interviewers want to hear.
This is a standard question and it seems like anything 'but working' is looked upon as negative. For example, I went to grad school from 2002-2005. During the last semester (summer - Dec 2005) I went full time. I received the degree in 2005. But it seemed like no one could comprehend this and I was constantly asked about this six month gap and Why I would make "such a decision".

Seems that anything but full time work if you are older than 22 is looked upon in very very negative light

Old 08-26-2011, 09:33 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,350,878 times
Gaps are in the HR book of baseless generalizations and red flags. Any gap in your work history and HR assumes you were secretly in prison/mental institution for something or left a job off your resume where you were fired for beating up coworkers and making photocopies of your butt all day.

If they allow you to explain it even something like volunteering to help dying children in the hospital might not satisfy them.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:51 AM

639 posts, read 1,066,105 times
They mainly want to make sure you weren't doing something they would look on negatively. So if you say something like you were taking care of a sick parent while helping develop some job skills which you can reel off they'll normally be satisfied, even if they know you were having trouble finding a job.

There are people out there who really were in prison or were just sitting in front of the TV while collecting unemployment and employers want to make sure you're not one of them. Also, they want to make sure you didn't get fired from your last job due to flashing the secretary and are just pretending you didn't work there.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:19 AM

1,359 posts, read 4,840,203 times
I've heard that you shouldn't say you were caring for a sick family member because they'll think you're going to have to be off a lot for family reasons. I actually did help care for a family member earlier this year, but have been unsure about whether I should mention it. He has since passed away so it would not be an issue now, but I don't know how to bring that up without either sounding like I'm asking for sympathy or just putting a downer on the tone of the interview as a whole.

I get the same question about an employment gap while I attended school full-time. My school did not cater to working adults and I often had morning, afternoon, and evening classes all in a single week, so it was very difficult to find employers who would accommodate that when they could just hire someone who wasn't going to school. That was over four years ago and I'm still having to answer questions about it, in addition to my current gap in employment.

Not sure what we're supposed to do---I'm in a field where I can say that I'm maintaining my skills through continuing professional education, but that has not seemed to be that good of an answer either. I guess I could say I was temping....but I haven't been. I've answered tax questions for friends and family, could I say I was a consultant? ;-)

Old 08-26-2011, 10:21 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,221,508 times
What have I been doing since my last job? Well I have been working at my current job for the past 14 or so years. I also managed to finish my Bachelors and Masters degrees since my last job. Because I want to build something for my kids to take over someday if they so choose, I have been building a business on the side since my last job. I am also putting together a website, blog, and writing since my last job.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:34 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,003,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *lorie View Post
Employer: "So. You've got quite a gap there. What have you been doing since your last job?"

Me: "Practicing musical instruments so there's the slim chance that I can pursue doing something that I love later in life. I only work in this career because it pays for my corn flakes, beer, and a roof over my head. And so do most of the people that work for you, and probably the next guy who comes through the door. He'll only pretend to have a life passion for ______. But I am a hard worker, and will work my a@@ off when needed."

Always been meaning to try this. Haven't had the balls to do it yet...

Old 08-26-2011, 11:12 AM

147 posts, read 212,947 times
Good for you, soon2bnsurprise.

For the rest of us...it seems like there's no good answer...

Old 08-26-2011, 11:45 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,904,362 times
"Gaps are in the HR book of baseless generalizations and red flags."

True, but on the bright side, with a vast disconnect with far more unskilled workers than jobs available, at least H/R allows for gainful employment for a large chunk of them, who would otherwise add to the aforementioned gap. In terms of general intelligence, I can truthfully say over 20 plus years working in corp environments, H/R leads the pack in lacking it.

Old 08-26-2011, 12:13 PM

977 posts, read 1,811,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Always been meaning to try this. Haven't had the balls to do it yet...
You should. Then they'll think "He's just a straight shooter with upper management written all over him".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment