U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 08-30-2011, 03:27 PM
 
2,000 posts, read 2,711,549 times
Reputation: 1567

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
OP are you aware that in CA you pay for UE insurance out of your paycheck just like federal, state, and SSI? It is a weekly deduction.

So in that sense it is like car insurance. You work in CA for 20 yrs you have paid into unemployment for 20 yrs.

You get laid off, you collect it.

You have car insurance for 20 yrs, you get into an accident your policy covers the damage to your car.

A lot different than welfare.

Your post is kind of vague, what constitutes a long time?

Is he looking for work?

How old is he?

I can understand why he wants at least $600, because $600 after taxes in CA will come out to the $400 he is getting now.
Actually not true.

The EMPLOYER pays the unemployment insurance (FUTA) in CA. Some states do take an employee contribution, but not many.

Unemployment Insurance (UI) Tax

The UI program is part of a national program administered by the U.S. Department of Labor under the Social Security Act. The UI program provides temporary payments to individuals who are unemployed through no fault of their own.
UI is paid by the employer. Tax-rated employers pay a percentage on the first $7,000 in wages paid to each employee in a calendar year. The UI rate schedule and amount of taxable wages are determined annually. New employers pay 3.4 percent (.034) for up to three years. EDD notifies employers of their new rate each December. The maximum tax is $434 per employee per year. (Calculated at the highest UI tax rate of 6.2 percent x $7,000.)


(from the Unemployment Insurance Tax)
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-30-2011, 03:35 PM
 
2,000 posts, read 2,711,549 times
Reputation: 1567
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Sure I guess by the strict definition of it, but it was also earned. Those who receive food stamps don't do anything to earn them short of not having enough income. To get unemployment, you must work.
I don't really see how it is earned. It is a tax like any other that the employer has to pay to hire employees.

It is another cost for an employer when hiring headcount.

Not to say that I disagree with unemployment, I don't actually. But, I would not go so far to say someone EARNED it. Their employers paid it.

You earn your FICA-- that is for sure-- because you actually contribute to it. Unemployment? Not so much. Unless you are in a state where you must-- and so far I can only find in my resources that that is NJ and PA.

Last edited by lovetheduns; 08-30-2011 at 03:39 PM.. Reason: added SUI States
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2011, 04:00 PM
 
Location: Albuquerque
5,553 posts, read 9,452,947 times
Reputation: 2462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale
Someone might remind him that his benefits won't flow forever... then what?
Then nothing.

An interesting thing happened during this depression:

Employers have decided that if you have been out of work more than six
months then you have been passed over by other employers and therefore
are not suitable for consideration.

There are lots of people who have been on unemployment more than one
year. BTW, that bit wasn't paid for. It's not getting "your" money back.
It is being financed using other money and thus is the same as food stamps.

You have to make a choice whether to go out and take a "crap job" and
start from the bottom again, but it really looks like the long-term unemployed
are never ever going to work the kind of jobs that they used to have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy
You can't save money when receiving uneployment, it's not big enough
Sorry, but you mis-speeled "I."

Anyone can save money on any income. You have to distinguish between
needs and wants. I've known people making over $100k that have nothing
saved and are approaching retirement. Their wake-up call will be their first
Social Security check that they get when they take early retirement at 62.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2011, 04:13 PM
FBJ
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
34,529 posts, read 23,817,862 times
Reputation: 7716
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
Then nothing.

An interesting thing happened during this depression:

Employers have decided that if you have been out of work more than six
months then you have been passed over by other employers and therefore
are not suitable for consideration.

There are lots of people who have been on unemployment more than one
year. BTW, that bit wasn't paid for. It's not getting "your" money back.
It is being financed using other money and thus is the same as food stamps.

You have to make a choice whether to go out and take a "crap job" and
start from the bottom again, but it really looks like the long-term unemployed
are never ever going to work the kind of jobs that they used to have.

Sorry, but you mis-speeled "I."

Anyone can save money on any income. You have to distinguish between
needs and wants. I've known people making over $100k that have nothing
saved and are approaching retirement. Their wake-up call will be their first
Social Security check that they get when they take early retirement at 62.


There is not enough money for WANTS when receiving unemployment-lol Unemployment is strictly for NEEDS
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2011, 04:26 PM
 
7,894 posts, read 8,487,186 times
Reputation: 10866
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggz109 View Post
Unemployment insurance in CA is paid for by the employer to the state. The employee makes ZERO contribution towards it.

It is welfare plain and simple.
That is incorrect, in CA both the employer and the employee pay into it.

The deduction isn't much, but in CA if you're working, you're getting UE insurance deducted from your check every week.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2011, 04:31 PM
 
Location: Keosauqua, Iowa
5,884 posts, read 6,311,087 times
Reputation: 6192
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
There is not enough money for WANTS when receiving unemployment-lol Unemployment is strictly for NEEDS
This isn't universal. Someone who lives well below his or her means could still have room in the budget for "wants" while on unemployment. In fact, because of how unemployment benefits are calculated, some people get as much or more on unemployment as they would on their typical weekly check.

When I was on unemployment years ago I worked as an independent contractor while I drew benefits (you can make as much as you want via self-employment without jeopardizing your benefits as long as you are still looking for work) and made much more than I had working.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2011, 04:35 PM
FBJ
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
34,529 posts, read 23,817,862 times
Reputation: 7716
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
This isn't universal. Someone who lives well below his or her means could still have room in the budget for "wants" while on unemployment. In fact, because of how unemployment benefits are calculated, some people get as much or more on unemployment as they would on their typical weekly check.

When I was on unemployment years ago I worked as an independent contractor while I drew benefits (you can make as much as you want via self-employment without jeopardizing your benefits as long as you are still looking for work) and made much more than I had working.


For me to live below my means on unemployment I would have to

Eat once a day

Cancel Cable

Don't Date

Don eat out at all

Cancel my cell phone and keep my home phone




That would just be too much. Out of that list I only decided NOT TO DATE. I eat out once a month
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2011, 04:44 PM
 
Location: On our boat!
5,678 posts, read 10,399,075 times
Reputation: 3195
Hey, I knew a guy that collected unemployment for 99 weeks PLUS collected full retirement pay from a company PLUS Early Retirement from SS!! How'd he do this? He retired from a company after 35 yrs and got full retirement pay, got another full-time job but got laid off (filed/got unemployment) and he turned 62 and got his "Early Retirement/SS". He was collecting all THREE at the same time!! Instead of looking for a job, him and his wife were basking in the sun on a Florida beach! He filed every two weeks with no problems.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2011, 04:47 PM
FBJ
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
34,529 posts, read 23,817,862 times
Reputation: 7716
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveboating View Post
hey, i knew a guy that collected unemployment for 99 weeks plus collected full retirement pay from a company plus early retirement from ss!! How'd he do this? He retired from a company after 35 yrs and got full retirement pay, got another full-time job but got laid off (filed/got unemployment) and he turned 62 and got his "early retirement/ss". He was collecting all three at the same time!! Instead of looking for a job, him and his wife were basking in the sun on a florida beach! He filed every two weeks with no problems.
who cares???
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2011, 04:47 PM
 
4,540 posts, read 2,400,210 times
Reputation: 1899
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
For me to live below my means on unemployment I would have to

Eat once a day

Cancel Cable

Don't Date

Don eat out at all

Cancel my cell phone and keep my home phone




That would just be too much. Out of that list I only decided NOT TO DATE. I eat out once a month
Wow that would be the last thing I cut out, sex is way to important, if I had to go too long without sex I might go on a shooting rampage, even if I had to pay 100$ once a week so be it lol. Fortunatly im not single.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top