Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 08:35 PM

29,702 posts, read 24,784,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by a34dadsf View Post
Business is a dog eat dog world. Its not like if I pay my contractors a "living wage" that I can mark up the cost of products/services 10% to compensate for it. Consumers want the best value possible. With that being said, the work goes to the lowest bidder and that generally means going to china and india. I have to go to lowest bidder because the consumer wants to save the 5-10% extra. Of course at the end of the day that means I have to outsource everything.
Cool. Than those American's don't have money to spend in America. Talk about killing the goose that laid the golden egg... Not saying I disagree with the logic of cheapest bidder, but the impact of this in mass is killing the economy as we speak. There's also many reasons for the cheaper prices overseas... Less regulations (no pollution controls), labor abuse, poor quality and dangerous products... I'm all for saving a buck, but look at the greater costs... It may be a price no one can afford down the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 08:38 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,577,206 times
OP are you aware that in CA you pay for UE insurance out of your paycheck just like federal, state, and SSI? It is a weekly deduction.

So in that sense it is like car insurance. You work in CA for 20 yrs you have paid into unemployment for 20 yrs.

You get laid off, you collect it.

You have car insurance for 20 yrs, you get into an accident your policy covers the damage to your car.

A lot different than welfare.

Your post is kind of vague, what constitutes a long time?

Is he looking for work?

How old is he?

I can understand why he wants at least $600, because $600 after taxes in CA will come out to the $400 he is getting now.

Old 08-29-2011, 09:58 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,717,403 times
It's a smart idea to me.

It's like an employer choosing to hire a more expensive employee versus one with the same qualification of one who would cost less. Does that make sesne to you? That's pretty much where it stands from the employee's side of things as well.

Old 08-30-2011, 01:36 AM

9,894 posts, read 21,978,332 times
I dont blame the guy one bit. Unemployment benefits dont last forever but he should budget his money & save a lil bit every month instead of wasting it on VERY over priced drinks & sluts.

Old 08-30-2011, 01:41 AM

9,894 posts, read 21,978,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
OP are you aware that in CA you pay for UE insurance out of your paycheck just like federal, state, and SSI? It is a weekly deduction.

So in that sense it is like car insurance. You work in CA for 20 yrs you have paid into unemployment for 20 yrs.

You have car insurance for 20 yrs, you get into an accident your policy covers the damage to your car.

Is he looking for work?

How old is he?

I can understand why he wants at least $600, because $600 after taxes in CA will come out to the $400 he is getting now.
33% of your paycheck being deducted is utter bs. Politicians sicken me.

Old 08-30-2011, 04:02 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,396,908 times
Cool Well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
He's on unemployment, not welfare, correct? Unemployment is a benefit for people who had jobs. Why should he make his situation worse than it already is by taking a job that will decrease his pay and/or benies?
Someone might remind him that his benefits won't flow forever... then what?
Koale

Old 08-30-2011, 10:18 AM

8 posts, read 18,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post

Is he looking for work?

How old is he?

Unemployment insurance in CA is paid for by the employer to the state. The employee makes ZERO contribution towards it.

It is welfare plain and simple.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:36 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,381,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggz109 View Post
Unemployment insurance in CA is paid for by the employer to the state. The employee makes ZERO contribution towards it.

It is welfare plain and simple.
Sure I guess by the strict definition of it, but it was also earned. Those who receive food stamps don't do anything to earn them short of not having enough income. To get unemployment, you must work.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:54 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,859,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a34dadsf View Post

Yes, this is the point I am getting to. This guy could EASILY get a 8-10$/hr job doing something so he doesn't have to be on unemployment. Just because you take a low wage job doesn't mean its the end of the line for your career. What I see is people sponging off the unemployment system because they'd rather sit on unemployment doing nothing instead of working for a living.

Uh, you do realize that McDonalds just received 1,000,000 applications and only hired 62,000 people right?? A McDonalds in Phoenix received 15,000 applications. In Bloomington, IN a Golden Corral restaurant received 500 applications. I went to an employment agency to try to find work picking fruit and they told me I needed to be BILINGUAL. Yeah, minimum wage jobs are plentiful.

Business is a dog eat dog world. Its not like if I pay my contractors a "living wage" that I can mark up the cost of products/services 10% to compensate for it. Consumers want the best value possible. With that being said, the work goes to the lowest bidder and that generally means going to china and india. I have to go to lowest bidder because the consumer wants to save the 5-10% extra. Of course at the end of the day that means I have to outsource everything.

Okay, so you complain about the unemployed but, you do realize that outsourcing is a major contributor to high unemployment, especially in midwestern states like Indiana and Michigan. What the hell do you expect if you ship jobs overseas? More people out of work and on welfare. DUH!! Many of my coworkers at Walmart collected welfare bennies so don't give me that crap about welfare recipients being lazy.
My comments are in bold.

Old 08-30-2011, 12:58 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,901,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
I dont blame the guy one bit. Unemployment benefits dont last forever but he should budget his money & save a lil bit every month instead of wasting it on VERY over priced drinks & sluts.
You can't save money when receiving uneployment, it's not big enough
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment