Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 02:48 PM

41,784 posts, read 74,806,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
I agree with you, but I don't think our bosses would though.
They're the ones doing all the yapping ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
we are talking about those crazies that have to waste 30 minutes of valuable time with talking about things unrelated to work or prying into our lives because they are so nosy.
There are people like that? Really? In 35+ years of working, I've never met anyone like you're describing. Maybe because I've always worked in deadline-oriented (newspapers, fundraising) environments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 09:07 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,857,412 times
Having worked in Chicago and many other cities, I can say for certain, that this problem has nothing to do with geography. It's really a company culture, and by extension, a generational culture. There are chatty people in every city.

My solution is simply not to respond. I just smile and stay silent. Chatty people need someone to respond to them, and any kind of response will do. So if you don't respond, they'll stop.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:11 PM

29,678 posts, read 24,720,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
No one gets paid to talk.
I get paid to do whatever I feel like. I could be out golfing, which I have done... As long as the working coming out of my machines is good Donno how the rest of the crowd deals with these sweatshop environments everyone describes...

Old 08-31-2011, 09:20 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,921,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I get paid to do whatever I feel like. I could be out golfing, which I have done... As long as the working coming out of my machines is good Donno how the rest of the crowd deals with these sweatshop environments everyone describes...
Uh oh...a sales guy!

Old 09-01-2011, 12:37 AM

97 posts, read 209,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongtimeBravesFan View Post
Post the following sign at your desk/cubicle.

I am a very busy person and unless you have work related matters to discuss, please wait until I am on a break to speak with me.

Don't forget to also put masking tape on the floor around your cube to simulate where your office walls would be, if you had an office, and require people to say "knock knock" when they want to enter.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:46 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,606,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
They're the ones doing all the yapping ...
You can say that agaain, lol

Old 09-01-2011, 09:06 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,907,735 times
When I was working, there were two women who were particularly chatty. They were both long-time employees in supervisory positions. When I was new, I frequently had questions, but when the office door was closed, knocking was a no-no. After a length of time, the door would open and one of them would cross the hall to her own office. Five minutes later, both their phone lines would light up, and they were so dumb they didn't know how obvious that was.

In any event, I had to postpone my questions until these two were all talked out, so that delayed my work getting done. They both eventually left the company and I was promoted into one of their positions. My boss was in awe that I could manage to get so much accomplished, as the other two were always behind.

My policy has always been - I have a lot to get done today and if I stop now I'll lose my momentum. I'll see you in the lunch room/break room/smoke porch.
Just be forthright.

Old 09-01-2011, 09:50 AM

48,505 posts, read 96,589,733 times
I alwasy said ;you will have to excuse me;I have to get this done. After a few times they usually get the idea.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:40 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,668,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldus View Post
How do you gracefully get these people to leave you alone?
Simple, you politely say you're busy and don't have time to chat.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:49 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,174,699 times
Yesterday I got fed up with an older salesman who always comes in to retell the same stupid stories about customers he called on 40 years ago, so I picked up a 3' piece of aluminum casting sprue that happened to be sitting in my office for some reason and started hitting him with it. He finally crawled out the door and I haven't seen him since, so apparently he got the point. He needs to get back in here and clean his blood up out of the carpet before the stain sets, though, and he left a smelly old man shoe behind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment