Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 02:29 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,420,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
NJBest:"It's so ineffective to expand and create jobs in the environment this country has created for businesses."

Not in all 50 states, by any stretch. From 2000 to 2008, Texas added 825,400 private sector jobs. Article is on NYTimes.com.
The Cracks in Texas Governor Perry's Job-Growth Record | Swampland

Perry criticizes government while Texas job growth benefits from it - The Washington Post

A lot of job growth went to government employees. Also Texas poached a large amount of jobs from other states, this doesn't create any jobs.

Edit: I see you have "private sector jobs". Also I remember reading an article talking about how the majority of Texas's new jobs were min wage and below. Certainly not much to help the economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 02:32 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,956,270 times
He has, Z3NITH, but it does not explain his hypocrisy b/w taxation statements and taxation actions personally. I'm sure Madoff was generous with charities , too, should his jail term be reduced due to that?

wheelsup, 825,400 was private sector jobs grown, which excluded 115k others that were the net gov't change in employment. And all low cost states poach, but no one garners that quantity from it. Nashville,Tn was Relocation America org City of Year 2 times in 5 years, and gained around 150k gross (not net) over approximately 6 years. No other city added 100k over the same period. That excludes stuff we lost via relos (which would be smaller).

Much of the 825k gain was simply job creation, a ton in hospitality (Travel related, which does not relocate). No one can gain 825k via poaching. Too much competition. Most every corp Nashville poached, we had 3 or more serious contenders right until the moment of final decision. It took 3 years of work to poach Nissan corp hq, for example. With a team of dozens involved all 3 years!

Last edited by bobtn; 08-31-2011 at 02:48 PM..

Old 08-31-2011, 02:52 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,110,353 times
Don't blame the CEOs for taking advantage of the current system. Just like you shouldn't blame an individual for doing everything they can to lower their tax burden. Blame the system if you don't like it.

Old 08-31-2011, 02:54 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,970,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Blame the system if you don't like it.
I think that's what most of us are doing. Some have even suggested potential solutions.

Old 08-31-2011, 03:09 PM

I agree with post 64. The system needs a massive overhaul.

Old 08-31-2011, 06:16 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,110,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
I think that's what most of us are doing. Some have even suggested potential solutions.
And clearly some are blaming the CEOs. Some even suggest they are "robbing" the government.

Old 08-31-2011, 06:42 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,694,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
I'm not talking about your mom-and-pop shops on Main Street. I'm talking about massive corps who hire entire accounting departments to find tax loopholes.

if those loopholes close and companies have to pay more in taxes, do you think they will just settle for making less of a profit? No...they will raise the prices on their products and impliment other cost-cutting measures (such as eliminating jobs) in order to pay for those increased taxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheduns View Post
So, go ahead and make the cost of doing business even higher in this country and see exactly how many jobs you will retain then.

Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
Back in the day when corporations were taxed at 70 or 90%, the entire economy was much better off. The CEO's still made plenty of money, but in general, the income distribution amongst all of us was much fairer than it is today.

That's the true crux of the argument - some people simply think that it is not "fair" that others make more money than they do.

Old 08-31-2011, 06:59 PM

Tober, Its not about net taxation increases. Its about insuring some do not game the system. How many Fortune 500s paid for GE's freebie last year? You think the services needed for those facilities, wear and tear on roads, Fire and police calls, etc..cost squat. A flat tax would insure GE and their competition paid the same rate, thus the best corp would win out, not who gamed the system best.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:32 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,620,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Don't blame the CEOs for taking advantage of the current system.
True. Blame the politicians who take corporate money and in exchange allow CEO's to hire accountants to write the tax laws.

I'll bet its been many many years since any politician has written or read a new tax law. Hell, they have no time. Just about 90% of their time is spent raising money for the next election.

And the more money corporations make, the more they can shovel into politicians pockets. Doesn't bode well for peons like us. And for those who claim the CEO creates jobs, well that's just bullsh*it. Employees make or break a company. The more successful a company is, the more potential there is for hiring & expansion. I say potential because much of the profits are eaten up by CEO's CFO's & COO's as opposed to hiring and expanding.

The CEO & his ilk are just overpaid parasites going along for the ride.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:51 PM

29,772 posts, read 24,857,407 times
I would venture to say that many of these tax dodging CEOs have no allegiance to this country, and profits come before anyone or anything. They like our infrastructure and our consumer base, but they surely don't want to contribute to it. That would be asking too much of course... At the same time, the government knows if they actually tackled this problem, they would risk driving them out and taking their precious few jobs with them. It's a catch 21, and almost like a game of chicken. Let's see who flinches first...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment