Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 01:00 AM

4,416 posts, read 9,140,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Most jobs dealing with the public, or people in general I would not do. I do not like listening to stupid people talk about stupid stuff, on the phone or in person. No thank you, not for any price.

If the price was right, I would do any form of physical work, even menial work. IF the price was right That's more than people are willing to offer these days though, so that's out.

You gotta get over yourself!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 01:03 AM

4,416 posts, read 9,140,200 times
If you can avoid it try not to accept jobs soliciting for the Rajah Temple Shriners where only 30% goes to the organization. I hate it, but I am stuck.

Old 09-02-2011, 09:59 AM

1,715 posts, read 2,837,585 times
Telemarketing.

Also I am massively antisocial and awkward with people so I don't think I will even be able to keep any job that involves too much personal contact. My back hurts and I can't stand for more than a few hours. When this job runs it's course, it probably means it's time to put the lights out.

Old 09-02-2011, 10:44 AM

4,221 posts, read 4,745,158 times
Gynecologist

Old 09-02-2011, 11:18 AM

8 posts, read 38,451 times
Call centers. I will never work in one, regardless. They are just above "debt collectors". I would rather operate a warez cave on the Tor network, always paranoid about an FBI raid rather than work in a slave-laboring call center. Pig farmer, chicken catcher/decapitator, alligator sexting...most of the stuff from "Dirty Jobs" tv show. Other than that, not much else is off limits.

Old 09-02-2011, 11:32 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,270,240 times
When I was in college I worked for the water and wastewater treatment plant in my hometown. One of my daily jobs was to "rake the barflow." This was a spot right before the wastewater plant where the sanitary sewer line was exposed, and there was a metal grate in there to catch anything big enough to mess up one of the pumps if it went through. So I would have to go out every day and rake all of the turds, toilet paper, tampons, condoms, and whatever else might accumulate in there with a long-handled garden cultivator and put it in a bucket. It was a nasty-ass job BUT it was honest work and if I was hard up I'd do it again.

The only things I wouldn't do would be things that don't sit well with me from a moral standpoint, such as working for a predatory lender.

Old 09-02-2011, 02:32 PM

8 posts, read 38,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
When I was in college I worked for the water and wastewater treatment plant in my hometown. One of my daily jobs was to "rake the barflow." This was a spot right before the wastewater plant where the sanitary sewer line was exposed, and there was a metal grate in there to catch anything big enough to mess up one of the pumps if it went through. So I would have to go out every day and rake all of the turds, toilet paper, tampons, condoms, and whatever else might accumulate in there with a long-handled garden cultivator and put it in a bucket. It was a nasty-ass job BUT it was honest work and if I was hard up I'd do it again.

The only things I wouldn't do would be things that don't sit well with me from a moral standpoint, such as working for a predatory lender.
Interesting job. How much was the pay, if I may ask? Sounds physically demanding. I saw one ad in the job bank the other day for a factory "dust collector", lol.

Old 09-02-2011, 02:36 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,270,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsinger View Post
Interesting job. How much was the pay, if I may ask? Sounds physically demanding.
I think it was around $7, that was around 15 years ago. Overall the job wasn't that physically demanding; raking the barflow was probably the most physical thing I had to do over the course of the day and it only took about 10-15 minutes.

Old 09-02-2011, 03:43 PM

861 posts, read 1,124,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b4u View Post
could never be a car salesperson - same reasons as above.
could never be a waitress - more people would wear there food than eat it, i'm afraid.
lol

Old 09-02-2011, 03:54 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,908,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
You gotta get over yourself!
Hey, I did my time working in an office. Now I know better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment