Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 01:08 AM

139 posts, read 648,502 times

Advertisements

Shouldn't a chef school take at least 2 years? It is a lot of information to learn in only 7 months! That seems kind of fishy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 06:47 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,405,332 times
Exclamation for me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachrunner View Post
A few of the people I have heard of who have made it as chefs were in the business field first. They saved up enough money, teaching themselves at home/weekend workshops, building a following by hosting parties, and then opening their own restaurants. Still risky since many restaurants do not make it.
The folks I know who have 'made it' in the restaurant/food service industry all started out either washing dishes/busing tables or waiting on them. Basically, they started at the bottom and learned the industry from the ground up.
Koale

Old 09-05-2011, 07:28 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,116,455 times
My wife went to culinary school. It was a full time 2 year program that cost less than what these schools are charging. 30K for a seven month program? Seems insane.

Old 09-05-2011, 07:31 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,116,554 times
Default for me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
The folks I know who have 'made it' in the restaurant/food service industry all started out either washing dishes/busing tables or waiting on them. Basically, they started at the bottom and learned the industry from the ground up.
Koale
The folks that I know that have 'made it' in the restaurant/food service industry all attended the Culinary Institute in NYC and were hand-selected by recruiting chefs. The top schools have relations with the top chefs.

Old 09-05-2011, 07:48 AM

8,029 posts, read 10,621,305 times
This is a perfect example of people watching way too much cable T.V. and believing it.

That does things like make you think you can go to culinary school and become a chef in New York overnight, or open a cute little shop selling $5.00 cupcakes or something, and actually make a living that way in today's economy.

Pure fantasy.

Old 09-05-2011, 07:54 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,116,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post

That does things like make you think you can go to culinary school and become a chef in New York overnight, or open a cute little shop selling $5.00 cupcakes or something, and actually make a living that way in today's economy.

Pure fantasy.
You're actually wrong. I personally know a chef who got hired as an assistant chef in NYC right out of culinary school.

I also know 2 different people who opened up a cupcake shops in Princeton and a surrounding town and make a living from it.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:46 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,863,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
Thank the Food Channel for the surge in people wanting to be chefs. Fact is, most end up being a line cook making $8-$10 an hour, and its hard work.

Those for-profit schools are ripoffs. The money they charge is insane. A tech school is much cheaper and much better.

Those going to culinary school need to understand that the odds of them becoming another Bobby Flay are slim to none. Most will end up cooking at Perkins for peanuts.
Well..some of those chefs on the Food Channel never attended culinary school. Rachel Ray, for example. Most of the chefs who did go to culinary school worked in restaurants as line cooks or dishwashers before attending school. I think that it is a good idea to have some entry level experience before going to college so you know what you are getting yourself into.

In any kind of economy a degree that ends with arts whether it be pastry arts, culinary arts, graphic arts, or fine art is pretty worthless. If it is your dream to pursue these fields, try community college or even better self education.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:51 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,764,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anja T View Post
Shouldn't a chef school take at least 2 years? It is a lot of information to learn in only 7 months! That seems kind of fishy.
Most culinary schools are only 6-9 months. French Culinary Institute in NYC is $50-60,000 for 6-9 months in Culinary or Pastry. That's not including living expenses in NYC.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:54 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,764,345 times
I'm not quite sure whether these settlements will fly though. Law Schools are the most notorious for lying about their job prospects. Students take out $200,000 in law school loans, and end up working at Starbucks because most Law Schools have horrible job prospects.

Old 09-05-2011, 12:00 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,008,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
$30,000 for seven months and she wasn't even cooking lobster?

$30,000 and the best job she could find was $8.00/hr?

http://www.mercurynews.com/food-wine...nclick_check=1

When is some sanity going to come back? Even with "help" who would loan her the money?

Sometimes being turned down for a loan is the best thing that can happen to a person.
Many of the private, for-profit schools are shams and best to be avoided. Just like the "Art Institutes", the price of the degree far outweights the actual earning potentials of the field.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment