Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 12:40 AM

38,891 posts, read 22,875,846 times

Advertisements

Congratulations! First week jitters are normal. Everyone else gave really good advice, so I'm not going to repeat what they already said. Maybe my one piece of advice (and this relates to being a worrier) would be to live in the moment. Let me ask, has all your worrying done anything productive for you? Except maybe give you more wrinkles and possibly a few gray hairs. Don't forget to take a deep breath before you walk in and relax! You'll do fine, I know it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2013, 06:25 AM

3 posts, read 2,887 times
Default Help!!!!

I hope there is someone here that can relate to my story.

I just started a job last week and my first week was filled with high anxiety, extreme nervousness, sleepless nights and a full blown panic attack on Friday. The attack was so bad that I had to pull over on the way to work to vomit, I then tried to go into work but I was in no shape to work. I was physically and mentally exhausted. I came back home and went to bed, luckily my wife understood and she urged me to come home and rest and recover.

I left a job of 7 years for what I thought was a better opportunity, and it is. The thing is I had gotten so complacent and enjoyed the freedom (coming in whenver I wanted, longer lunches, running errands,etc..) and now I don't have that as much. The thing that bothers me the most is not having that extra time with my family. I used to get to see my sons before I left to work but because I work further away and have to get up earlier I don't get to see them. That depresses me greatly.

And then the job itself, it's a ton more responsibility than I'm used to. I'm not sure I'm even equipped to do this job. The role is an IT project manager for the entire county. I am the only project manager, there is minimal support from my manager. Just my second day she brings me a folder of an upgrade project to take place this coming week, she gives it to me and basically leaves me. I have asked several important questions about it and no response. I'm literally in a panic as I also have to train users on this upgrade, I have no clue how to train. In my past job the vendor always did the training. I have started to think up a back out plan on this job, if my mental state doesn't get any better I have to do something. I'm in a dark place right now and my family is counting on me. I'm a one income familty and every penny is accounted for so if I lose this job I'm in deep trouble.

Please, if there is any light at the end of the tunnel then someone tell me. I'm ready to run away from this job and never go back. I know that is weak and pathetic but I've spent all weekend trying to make sense of this. My wife bought me some herbal anxiety supplements and I have been praying my heart out. Everyone says the same thing "it will be ok, you'll be fine" and "you are just nervous". But it's more than that, I'm surprising myself by feeling this. I'm tempted to call my old job back but I left because it wasn't taking my career anywhere and I was disgruntled.

HELP PLEASE, I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO.................
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment