Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 02:00 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,229,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
Yes I was quite curious as to where this number was pulled from.
Even if the buisness requires 0$ to start you wont have positive cash flow to pay bills in the mean time so its still a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 02:30 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
Even if the buisness requires 0$ to start you wont have positive cash flow to pay bills in the mean time so its still a problem.
It depends on the type of business. There are service industries where you can be cash flow positive from day one. IT consulting is one of them.

Old 09-14-2011, 02:49 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,229,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
It depends on the type of business. There are service industries where you can be cash flow positive from day one. IT consulting is one of them.
Thats true, engineering you can do that to an extent. Of course the key is getting the contracts. You have to try though, I dont know if there would be UI conundrums if you were able to get some contracts but they were not steady enough to rely on for income to get off UI. Getting steady contracts in anything these days is tough and you dont want to loose your UI for a one or 2 time gig.

Old 09-14-2011, 02:51 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Thats true, engineering you can do that to an extent. Of course the key is getting the contracts. You have to try though, I dont know if there would be UI conundrums if you were able to get some contracts but they were not steady enough to rely on for income to get off UI. Getting steady contracts in anything these days is tough and you dont want to loose your UI for a one or 2 time gig.
If you're on SEA, business income does not equal personal income. So you have the freedom of control during ups and downs at the beginning.

Old 09-14-2011, 03:04 PM

3,652 posts, read 4,705,450 times
Quote:
As said above, it depends on the type pf business. But the 99.9% number you brought up is not grounded in fact.

Old 09-14-2011, 03:28 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Because I too question the validity of the advice that the OP is complaining about. Most buisnesses you cant just run out and start, they have significant barriers to entry. Some have lower barriers to entry but there is usually stiffer competition for contracts and you more easily get low balled. Every one seems to know uncle jim that did it but that is anicdotal and statisticly 9/10 buisnesses fail but no one talks about that and when you fail you loose all the money and time you put into it so your actually worse off than when you were just unemployed. You may have learned some leasons but that may not matter because you may never have the capital to try again.
Again you're speaking about something you know nothing about first hand and are making generalizations which simply don't fit into a "one size fits all" category. I have successfully started and successfully run from scratch two businesses on a virtual shoestring so do know a bit about what I speak.

There is no question that going into business for one's self isn't for the faint of heart and that's more the crux of it than anything else. You work harder for yourself than you ever have for someone else and can forget holidays and vacations and regular hours and all those sorts of "perks" that you take for granted as an employee.

Asking questions is one thing but throwing out glittering generalities on something you simply know nothing about is simply daft and not at all helpful.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:01 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,423,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
You don't need good credit or a loan to start something on the side. You guys are not even reading the thread. We are not talking about opening a clothing store or restaurant.

You dont need credit/loan to sell stuff out of your garage, repair electronics, give advice...etc. My mom has been sewing/designing clothes and shoes and selling them on Ebay, flea market, swap meet and Etsy for the past 8 years. This was a hobby of hers that she turned into a full time job. If her volume of sales increase maybe it will be time to start looking into opening a physical boutique store.

It would not have made sense to open a boutique first without a customer base.

You guys really think when someone hints the idea of starting a business that they always mean a physical store?
THAT IS AWESOME! I have been wanting to learn how to MAKE shoes, because I can't find ones that don't hurt - have a bunion on left foot and would do almost anything to avoid surgery. So, where does she get her shoe designs made? THAT's where I would like to go for training on how to make shoes!

I have no illusions about 'going into business for myself' in shoemaking unless i were certain I could survive on nothing. I have a feeling that 'reject rates' would be somewhat high during the learning curve, and after that, it's still a time-intensive process, lol!.

However, it would be SUPER to know how to design, cut the leather, have the equipment to do it, and then ?sew? ?cobble? ?fabricate? a pair every now and again that didn't wind up hurting once I put them on! What a great leap forward in self reliance!

Thanks for any info, resources, leads etc.

Old 09-15-2011, 04:38 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
I wish I knew how to make a business- design and market a wrist-velcro kind of carrying thing for phones. Everyone I know is glued to their phone, leaving them on tables, dropping them in bathrooms, leaving them in cars, etc. It'd be like the wristbands that runners wear for house keys.
Why hasn't someone done this yet? (But I'm a wage-slave drone at heart).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment