Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2011, 10:32 AM

371 posts, read 1,566,927 times

Advertisements

Hello. I have been a stay at home mom for 9 years and am ready to go back but I need help writing my resume. Does anyone know of any online service that can help me? I have worked part time doing real estate during the 9 years but I do not want to go back to that. I feel that I need help writing my resume because of the fact that I do have a large gap in my employment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 11:30 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomOfToo View Post
I have worked part time doing real estate during the 9 years...
Cutting to the chase:
First step is to find some sort of fulltime work using your most current experience
and (presumably) current contacts in that industry; even if you might prefer to do something else.

Then take a few courses to get you current with whatever industry that you have that nine year gap in.
This might even expose you to opportunities doing that work.

Absent these two things on your resume... it really won't matter much how well that resume is written.

hth

Old 09-07-2011, 01:34 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,155,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomOfToo View Post
Hello. I have been a stay at home mom for 9 years and am ready to go back but I need help writing my resume. Does anyone know of any online service that can help me? I have worked part time doing real estate during the 9 years but I do not want to go back to that. I feel that I need help writing my resume because of the fact that I do have a large gap in my employment.
Were you selling homes or behind the scenes with paperwork?

Old 09-07-2011, 03:50 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,344,730 times
You don't say what type of work you are looking for, but if you were home for 9 years, you are probably a good organizer and money manager. Use that to your advantage. If you did any volunteer work during those 9 years, even helping at your child's school, it can go on your resume--might need to be reworded.

Old 09-08-2011, 01:43 PM

5,244 posts, read 4,708,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
You don't say what type of work you are looking for, but if you were home for 9 years, you are probably a good organizer and money manager. Use that to your advantage. If you did any volunteer work during those 9 years, even helping at your child's school, it can go on your resume--might need to be reworded.
I'll have to agree with this poster. I am right there with you. For my resume, I have started doing some volunteering in order to get some "references" that are more current. I have also put that on my resume.

I don't know what kind of job you are after but if there are some courses to take, start taking them and list those on your resume.

There are different types of resumes you can use like functional, chronological and the resume books suggest the functional type for those of us returning to work. You can go to the bookstore or go online and look at some and take some notes for your own resume.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:55 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
Good luck on finding a job, you should probably start with frends and family, to ask if there are any openings that they know of...now days, knowing someone is how most people get jobs...

Sorry, but real estate people, mortgage brokers, are a dime a dozen out there...get a book on resumes, or Google it...probably a functional resume would be best for you. You can even go to classes at your local job service center.

Old 09-08-2011, 09:19 PM

1,248 posts, read 4,057,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
The 'Stay at Home Mommy' thing is completely politically correct and she doesn't have to explain anything. If it is a man who is out of work longer than say six months he is toast and whatever reason he gives won't be believed. That is the Reality of the situation...

Old 09-08-2011, 09:20 PM

1,248 posts, read 4,057,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
The 'Stay at Home Mommy' thing is completely politically correct and she doesn't have to explain anything. If it is a man who is out of work longer than say six months he is toast and whatever reason he gives won't be believed (or the interviewer smirks, coughs & yawns while you are talking). That is the Reality of the situation...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment