U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 09-07-2011, 06:53 PM

4,555 posts, read 5,520,887 times
Default Collecting unemployment while working?

So I'm curious about this? I worked with a guy at our summer job that said he was collecting unemployment while working because he never notified unemployement that he had a job. Clearly this is wrong, but, isn't he going to get caught by taxes or something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 09-07-2011, 07:38 PM

7,748 posts, read 4,368,528 times
If he was working part time, he was doing nothing illegal. Now, if he did not notify them about these hours, he will get caught. If he is working full time, he will certainly get caught and have to pay all the money back, perhaps in interest. Eventually, it will catch up to him, and if he doesn't have the money to right his wrong, he will be in quite the pickle

Unread 09-07-2011, 09:31 PM

146 posts, read 273,311 times
It was your civic duty to report him if he was working full-time.

Unread 09-07-2011, 09:44 PM

16,032 posts, read 16,396,661 times
They let one in 10,000 "get away" with doing this...
as part of an employee motivation program at the UI office.

The staff know these people exist...
and that there are just enough out there that everyone has heard an anecdote about them...
but when applicants can get kicked around by them while following the rules in general fear and ignorance...
well, it gives the staff a nice warm feeling they can't really get otherwise.

Unread 09-08-2011, 12:35 AM

23,295 posts, read 11,920,760 times
Unemployment and disability allows a person so many hours of work per week and then they start deducting that from thier benefit amount during the duration of their benefit cycle. People are allowed so many hours of work while collecting benefits. It still all gets reported on your taxes.

If You're Working Part-Time or Full-Time While Collecting

If You're Working Part-Time or Full-Time While Collecting (http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=elwdterminal&L=4&L0=Home&L1=Claimants&L2=U nemployment+Insurance+(UI)&L3=How+to+File+Weekly+C laim&sid=Elwd&b=terminalcontent&f=dua_weekly_claim _working_part_time&csid=Elwd - broken link)

Penalties for Collecting Unemployment While Working

Penalties for Collecting Unemployment While Working | eHow.com

Unread 09-08-2011, 04:14 AM

13 posts, read 90,516 times
It is illegal to collect benefits and not report that you are working - full or part time, does not matter. Now the key word is "report" - many (in fact most) states will allow you to work part time and collect partial (and sometimes full) benefits but you must report your wages

And yes, it is very likely that the system will catch up with this person

Unread 08-17-2012, 01:11 PM

101 posts, read 22,367 times
Most people on unemployment benefits are working off the books like me. Working for a wage where the employer sends the information to the government is really scary and risky.

Unread 08-17-2012, 01:45 PM

810 posts, read 616,502 times
I am employed part time and still receive benefits. The amount of unemployment I receive depends on the amount I make and the hours that I work. Whenever I am scheduled for a full week then I don't receive unemployment.

Unread 09-21-2012, 04:25 PM

1,439 posts, read 1,103,131 times
Well when you file your taxes it will show employment dates on your W-2 and that can be compared to your UI forms. If dates overlap then that will show that you lied.

Unread 09-21-2012, 04:33 PM

5,311 posts, read 2,742,574 times
Yeah and if you get caught you may be banned from ever receiving benefits in the future. A family friend got into real trouble with the disability authorities in Colorado. He received permenent disability, starting abusing Oxy big time, intially just for pain, then keep the disability money and worked in his former trade under the table and they sent an investigator out and photoed him working manual labor. He was made to repay all the money and told he can never receive disability in Colorado again. They said if it weren't for jail overcrowding he would have been there. Clear case of fraud.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment