U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 07:44 AM

8,467 posts, read 7,078,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1231212 View Post
Thank you for the info =). I looked up the NJATC, Halliburton and SAIC. Do any jobs in these companies allow you to work essentially as much as you would like? I have a buddy who does logging in Hawaii and is allowed to work up to 14 hours a day, 7 days a week. I'm looking for something like that, preferably without a week or two off.
It must be sheer torture living in Hawaii and not having any time to enjoy it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2011, 09:36 AM

18,868 posts, read 15,987,943 times
Most jobs do not let you work that much, unless you are doing work that is piece rate, contract labor, and you are paid based on the amount of work that you produce. Normal jobs, like high paying union jobs, are structured, and if there is work available, yes, you can work OT.

The issue is that you are unskilled, and want high pay,I would suggest that you look at work in the oil fields, in Wyoming, or ND, you could probably start as a rough neck, they don't make high pay, but it is good pay, and you can work your way up to being a tool pusher

Last edited by jasper12; 09-11-2011 at 09:38 AM.. Reason: edit

Old 09-11-2011, 10:48 AM

6,387 posts, read 5,743,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Most jobs do not let you work that much, unless you are doing work that is piece rate, contract labor, and you are paid based on the amount of work that you produce. Normal jobs, like high paying union jobs, are structured, and if there is work available, yes, you can work OT.

The issue is that you are unskilled, and want high pay,I would suggest that you look at work in the oil fields, in Wyoming, or ND, you could probably start as a rough neck, they don't make high pay, but it is good pay, and you can work your way up to being a tool pusher
Interesting, not as good as I would think.

Appears if you want to know about being an oil well worker this would be a good place to start.

Pay Scale - Where Oil Rig Workers Talk Oilfield

Quote:
Patterson Drilling/Williston Basin/Rocky Mountain Division Pay Scale

Driller:$26/hr.
Derricks:$24/hr.
Motors:$21/hr.
Floors:$20/hr.

But we do get all of our overtime it is not split i work 7 on 7 off and get 40 regular hours and 47.5 overtime hours our safety meetings give us a extra half hour a day and we get $25 perdiem a day,$20 invert pay a day,$25 safety pay a day,$52 motel pay a day
Quote:
My husband brings home right at $3100 every 2 weeks, and then once a month he gets a driving allowance check of $871, plus a Gascard. He gets a per diem, and then of course a bottom hole check at the end of the well.

He'd bring home a lot more than that, except we contribute 10% of each check to 401(k), we pay the maximum taxes, around $700 a paycheck so we won't have to pay at the end of the year, and our medical, dental and vision insurance.

The driving allowance is about to stop though, as they are making it mandatory that all pushers get company trucks, which I think will be good, it will save the wear and tear on his truck.
Followed up by

Quote:
workin for patterson-tyler division(tx)
drill 26.00
derrix 22.50
motors 20.50
floors 20.00
no per diem
the comp. we're drillin for(sandridge)ain't payin ANY bonuses

i'm workin derrix bringin home 1950.00 every 2 wks
Oil field work sounds a lot like a project I am reminded of building a power plant for Minnesota Power and Light in Bemidji, Minnesota.

It was 1980 in the middle of nowhere.

We had guys earning $1,000/week take home at the time and if you adjust for inflation it would be equivalent to $2,741.77 today. This was take home pay and was excellent at the time.

In that $1,000 was included per diem and travel pay.

But to get there hours were long mostly working 5 10's.

The equivalent of $2,741.77 is good but costs in these areas can be beyond insane. In 1980 dollars cheap motels with bed bugs were running $80.00/night and being 700 miles from home you stayed seven night a week. You didn't dare check out because the room wasn't available when you got back. Two guys would share a filthy room splitting the $560.00 weekly tab. When I went I spent a couple days and there were three of us in the room because the closest empty motel I could find was 125 miles away (back roads, three hours each way) and the rates were still insane.

There are no Denny's for the grand slam breakfasts. You will be lucky to get two eggs, toast and coffee for less than $10.00. Oh, and if you wanna be tough and live in a camper through North Dakota's winter I want you to tell me about it next May when if finally warms up.

A very cheap dinner would easily cost $20.00.

Problem is were these oil fields are there are few motels/restaurants and with an influx of 5,000 workers everything gets to over capacity real fast. Prices go up, like the 1840 California gold rush it wasn't the miners that got rich.

After expenses a guy might have $600 left to bring home, as long as he watched his money, and compared to today that wasn't bad adjusted for inflation it would be equivalent to $1,645.06 take home.

But that is working 50 hours a week in a hell hole far, far from home. First week looks good, second week it is harder and by the second month you are wondering if it is really worth it.

That was power plant work back in the day and from what I am seeing.

Appears the most a inexperienced laborer can make is $20.00 working for Patterson Drilling/Williston Basin/Rocky Mountain Division.

Based on 7 on and 7 off with per diem, safety pay ect it appears the gross would be $3,259.00 every two weeks.

I am guessing take home pay would be around $1,300.00/week for a married man. Taxes are not applied on per diem but you must itemize at end of year. OK, everyone knows nobody does that but if the IRS ever checks you know what I am saying.

$1,300.00/week is good but that includes the per diem and when you are there, like I was in Minnesota, you gotta live somewhere and you gotta eat. From the $1,300 subtract whatever they take for medical insurance. Then off for a week and you get the expense of going home wherever that is.

Companies will not allow unlimited work all you want to 120 hours a week. On these kinds of job it is simply to dangerous to work that tired out and after 60 hours productivity goes to hell anyway.

But most newbies won't get on to the higher paying jobs, they save these for the guys coming out of the gulf with experience. You'd be lucky to make $20.00 as a newbie and per diem etc would not be near as generous. But you would still have the high cost of living.

The point is these guys can earn excellent money with experience but it isn't easy, it's not a cubical help desk job, and they earn every penny of it.

Now here you go, from 1/21/11.

Quote:
i'm a toolpusher for Nabors here in Saudi Arabia day rate is 565.00 makes monthy check 16,950 but no taxes. or 47.00 per hour.. plus they pay for everything...or 110,175.00 a year you work about 190 days a year over here.
190 days working but it is Saudi Arabia and when you aren't working you don't go to bars and oogle the women.

Last edited by nicet4; 09-11-2011 at 10:55 AM.. Reason: Opps, I didn't see the dates (2007) on the forum thread.

Old 09-11-2011, 12:23 PM

8,027 posts, read 5,872,111 times
It should be mentioned... Oil is traditionally very cyclical. The demands for drilling run in 7 year cycles. It has been good for awhile now, but who knows when things will temper down...

Old 09-11-2011, 05:10 PM

797 posts, read 1,656,727 times
My neighbor is a welder/dock builder with Echo Construction. He's making well over 100K a year here-he goes to NYC daily.

Old 09-11-2011, 06:10 PM

17,601 posts, read 23,805,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingMom View Post
My neighbor is a welder/dock builder with Echo Construction. He's making well over 100K a year here-he goes to NYC daily.
Curious: How many years in and how much hell went with that...
before he was getting that rate?

And (while we're at it) with the COL in the NY area what it is...
well, $100K just doesn't go as far as it would in DesMoines IA.
Ya know?

Old 09-11-2011, 06:43 PM

4,586 posts, read 4,328,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1231212 View Post
Yes, I'm ready to take on the challenge. I was a 4-year varsity athlete (tennis) and have the physical stature for a demanding job
6'4", 240 and you played tennis.

How did you get around the court?

Lol.

Old 09-11-2011, 06:46 PM

6,387 posts, read 5,743,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Curious: How many years in and how much hell went with that...
before he was getting that rate?

And (while we're at it) with the COL in the NY area what it is...
well, $100K just doesn't go as far as it would in DesMoines IA.
Ya know?
I think that is something people sometimes miss.

I literally live in Flyoverville and earn $75k, company car and other goodies.

According to Bankrate I would have to earn $154,127.10. to enjoy the same standard of living that I enjoy where I am at. The problem would be if I went to New York the most I could expect to earn would maybe be $110k which is tops.

I am much better off living in Flyoverville.

It's not unlike the oil field work, the money is good but look out for cost of living. If you go after an apartment to rent there are 100 other people looking too and that drives up prices.

Old 09-11-2011, 07:01 PM

21,135 posts, read 16,734,541 times
Oil rigs in ND.

Old 09-11-2011, 10:59 PM

7 posts, read 154,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
6'4", 240 and you played tennis.

How did you get around the court?

Lol.
lol thats a good question, i weighed around 195-200 in high school, thin with little muscle. I wanted to get stronger/muscler and spent 6 months going allllllllllllll out after highschool, gained about 40lbs of muscle (kept the same body fat %), and doubled some of my lifts (bench was 160, now 295. squat was 220, now around 450).

thanks to everyone with replies =) im looking into all of them via google
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment