Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 07:29 PM

7 posts, read 306,110 times

Advertisements

Hey everybody I'm new to this forum, I joined because I'm looking for much-needed help and people seemed pretty educated here =).

[LEFT]Basically I'm looking for information on employment opportunities for HARD-labor jobs that offer high pay and many overtime hours. By hard-labor I mean any kind of labor, and by many hours I mean the more the better (I'm willing to work 12 hour days, 7 days a week).

I've read several posts about people who have made over $100,000 (in some cases over $200,000) in a year, their first year of working in the field. Some of these jobs included working on oil rigs, with drilling companies, etc.

ABOUT MYSELF: I'm 20 years old, fairly strong (6'4'', 240 lbs), and am looking to go "all-out" and for a year or two looking to revolve my life around this job. For past work experience, I've worked in sales, IT and Ecommerce departments and have a high-school diploma and some college credits. Perfect record, no drugs/alchohol.

To some it all up, I'm looking for the MOST PROFITABLE labor job, regardless of comfort, stress. I want to return to California with several hundred thousand dollars, and in top physical condition from the job. Any advice of where to go or who to call to get hired is very appreciated, and anyone's past labor experiences are also appreciated!

Thanks, Darron

[/LEFT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2011, 08:21 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
Most of the ones making that kind of money belong to the union, may want to look at jobs overseas, have you applied with Halliburton? SAIC?

Old 09-10-2011, 08:36 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1231212 View Post
20 years old, fairly strong (6'4'', 240 lbs)
looking for ... HARD-labor jobs that offer high pay
willing to work 12 hour days, 7 days a week
How about 60hrs (6-10's) per week for three weeks; and then the 4th week off...
That's 42w x 40h RT hrs (1680@X) +42w x 18h OT hrs (756@1.5X)
= 2814 payroll hours @$X per hour (follow that math?)

And yeah, you'll need that 4th week off.

Quote:
I've read several posts about people who have made over $100,000
(in some cases over $200,000) in a year, their first year of working in the field.

Laborers, even on prevailing wage and hard to find warm body jobs, won't be getting all that much.
But for fun... lets say $25.00 per hour. OK?

Where does that put you? 2814 x $25 = $70,350 (Gross)
Not bad for operating a shovel.

Quote:
Some of these jobs included working on oil rigs, with drilling companies, etc.
OK. Bump the generous allowance described above some more:
$100,000 (/2814) = $35.53 per hour
$200,000 (/2814) = $71.07 per hour

Maybe? Not likely.
---

SKILLED labor jobs that will be in the $35-70 (or more range)
but require YEARS of hard earned experience to get those rates.

It's doable though.
Here's one start point: NJATC Landing Page

Good luck.

Old 09-10-2011, 08:55 PM

Thank you for the info =). I looked up the NJATC, Halliburton and SAIC. Do any jobs in these companies allow you to work essentially as much as you would like? I have a buddy who does logging in Hawaii and is allowed to work up to 14 hours a day, 7 days a week. I'm looking for something like that, preferably without a week or two off.

Old 09-10-2011, 09:11 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,657,694 times
Without a week off? Are you sure you know what you are getting yourself into?

Old 09-10-2011, 09:14 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,579,392 times
Quote:
Hey everybody I'm new to this forum, I joined because I'm looking for much-needed help and people seemed pretty educated here =).

[LEFT]Basically I'm looking for information on employment opportunities for HARD-labor jobs that offer high pay and many overtime hours. By hard-labor I mean any kind of labor, and by many hours I mean the more the better (I'm willing to work 12 hour days, 7 days a week).

I've read several posts about people who have made over $100,000 (in some cases over $200,000) in a year, their first year of working in the field. Some of these jobs included working on oil rigs, with drilling companies, etc.

ABOUT MYSELF: I'm 20 years old, fairly strong (6'4'', 240 lbs), and am looking to go "all-out" and for a year or two looking to revolve my life around this job. For past work experience, I've worked in sales, IT and Ecommerce departments and have a high-school diploma and some college credits. Perfect record, no drugs/alchohol.

To some it all up, I'm looking for the MOST PROFITABLE labor job, regardless of comfort, stress. I want to return to California with several hundred thousand dollars, and in top physical condition from the job. Any advice of where to go or who to call to get hired is very appreciated, and anyone's past labor experiences are also appreciated!

Thanks, Darron

[/LEFT]

Become a California Prison Correctional Officer and work over time

Prison guards lock up bundle in OT pay | The San Diego Union-Tribune

Old 09-10-2011, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldus View Post
Without a week off? Are you sure you know what you are getting yourself into?
Yes, I'm ready to take on the challenge. I was a 4-year varsity athlete (tennis) and have the physical stature for a demanding job

Old 09-10-2011, 09:50 PM

29,817 posts, read 24,898,335 times
Labor jobs are not going to afford a decent lifestyle. Even on oil rigs, roustabouts aren't all that well paid. In every profession, it's the SKILLED labor guys that make the bacon. The kicker is you generally start out in general labor and show the boss your worth the extra bacon, and they train you into a skilled labor position. It takes years to learn the skills in most cases, consider 4 to be average. After you have the necessary skills and you can work independently, and perhaps train others, you start earning good money. 100K is definately within reach for a well trained skilled tradesmen, especially if he manages others. However, it can be very stressful and carries an extraordinary amount of responsibility. Also, the hours can be intense in good times. Even now, the guys worth the money are working plenty of hours. 70-80 hours a week is very common.

And union unskilled labor doesn't pay as well as people think. $14 an hour used to be the starting wage, but last I checked, the old union job I had is starting unskilled labor at $12. Even if you worked all the overtime available, your not making all that much. Pick a trade, pursue it, take it seriously, and you may be worth 100K someday, but not today, sorry

Old 09-10-2011, 09:53 PM

29,817 posts, read 24,898,335 times
Labor jobs are not going to afford a decent lifestyle. Even on oil rigs, roustabouts aren't all that well paid. In every profession, it's the SKILLED labor guys that make the bacon. The kicker is you generally start out in general labor and show the boss your worth the extra bacon, and they train you into a skilled labor position. It takes years to learn the skills in most cases, consider 4 to be average. After you have the necessary skills and you can work independently, and perhaps train others, you start earning good money. 100K is definitely within reach for a well trained skilled tradesmen, especially if he manages others. However, it can be very stressful and carries an extraordinary amount of responsibility. Also, the hours can be intense in good times. Even now, the guys worth the money are working plenty of hours. 70-80 hours a week is very common.

And union unskilled labor doesn't pay as well as people think. $14 an hour used to be the starting wage, but last I checked, the old union job I had is starting unskilled labor at $12. Even if you worked all the overtime available, your not making all that much. Pick a trade, pursue it, take it seriously, and you may be worth 100K someday, but not today, sorry

Quote:
Thank you for the info =). I looked up the NJATC, Halliburton and SAIC. Do any jobs in these companies allow you to work essentially as much as you would like? I have a buddy who does logging in Hawaii and is allowed to work up to 14 hours a day, 7 days a week. I'm looking for something like that, preferably without a week or two off.
I'm sure that money sounds nice, and certainly it is... But those kinds of hours get old quick. After a year or two, most people come to the conclusion that the money just isn't worth. I've taken lower paying jobs for more work/life balance, and never regretted it. Learn to live on what you earn, and if the money isn't right, learn how to maximize the value of your time by offering something of greater value. Again, learning a skill.

Old 09-11-2011, 01:29 AM

56 posts, read 284,930 times
Quote:
Yes, I'm ready to take on the challenge. I was a 4-year varsity athlete (tennis) and have the physical stature for a demanding job
Tennis athlete? You may want to consider your mental capabilities for this type of job rather than the physical.

By mental capabilities, I mean can you handle doing the same demanding, repetitive task over and over and over again. Think about this before you sign on for this "hard labor" you desire.

This type of work can pay great, but also can be absolutely mind numbing. Make sure you mind can handle this type of work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment