Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 03:41 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,574,845 times

Advertisements

When Josefina Hernandez, a longtime Walgreens employee with diabetes, felt an attack of hypoglycemia coming on in September 2008, she grabbed a $1.39 bag of chips and ate them to boost her blood sugar, she said.

Hernandez said she paid for the chips as soon as she could leave her cashier's post at the South San Francisco drugstore. She said she tried to explain her actions to Walgreens, but the company fired her.

Read more: Walgreens sued over firing diabetic who took chips

Old 09-11-2011, 04:40 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,636,720 times
I swear I recall someone posting on this forum about this situation that happened to them. Although I didn't recall the poster saying that they had diabetes.

Old 09-11-2011, 04:47 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,099,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
When Josefina Hernandez, a longtime Walgreens employee with diabetes, felt an attack of hypoglycemia coming on in September 2008, she grabbed a $1.39 bag of chips and ate them to boost her blood sugar, she said.

Hernandez said she paid for the chips as soon as she could leave her cashier's post at the South San Francisco drugstore. She said she tried to explain her actions to Walgreens, but the company fired her.

Read more: Walgreens sued over firing diabetic who took chips
Probably more to the story
I would imagine this just is the top layer of dirt with the employee
Just a thought

It would only stand to reason if your going into some type of shock or medical emergency a company is not going to fire you.

The person more than likely is using this as an excuse
which is pathetic

Old 09-11-2011, 08:51 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,746,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheduns View Post
I swear I recall someone posting on this forum about this situation that happened to them. Although I didn't recall the poster saying that they had diabetes.
You did read it here.

The post was written about 6 months ago. A girl worked in Retail....

She took some chips and did not pay for them. Her defense was that "others" took chips and did not pay for them...

(She did not have Diabetes)

She said she was going to "pay for them later" ...and I told her she should have paid for them BEFORE her shift started and attach the receipt. ...She admitted she had taken chips before (and not paid for them) but saw others "doing it too." Now she is out of a job.

Old 09-11-2011, 09:42 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
Theft is theft. There is no excuese. The woman was not going to go into a diabetic coma for waiting an additional 5 minutes to talk to a supervisor about her health problems, and ask for a break to get a snack out of her purse. Anyone who is diabetic, carries hard candy, or glucose gel in their fanny pack or purse. If she was out of those items, she needed to request to purchase an item prior to opening it and eating it.

But, of course, I thought that the woman who sued McDonalds for spilling hot coffee in her lap was an idiot too...

Old 09-11-2011, 10:05 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
Probably more to the story
I would imagine this just is the top layer of dirt with the employee
Just a thought
This isn't uncommon at all.

Years ago when I was a retail manager we had a guy who was doing all kinds of goofy things to get out of work such as building "forts" out of merchandise that he would hide in to avoid helping customers. We knew what he was up to but could never catch him at it. Finally he got a bag of hard candy and started eating it without paying, so we used that as an excuse to fire him.

Old 09-11-2011, 11:22 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
You did read it here.

The post was written about 6 months ago. A girl worked in Retail....

She took some chips and did not pay for them. Her defense was that "others" took chips and did not pay for them...

(She did not have Diabetes)

She said she was going to "pay for them later" ...and I told her she should have paid for them BEFORE her shift started and attach the receipt. ...She admitted she had taken chips before (and not paid for them) but saw others "doing it too." Now she is out of a job.
Yes she did and it wasn't this woman. She also had a boyfriend who didn't work and they had kids and for some reason she would end up taking the kids to the doctor and missing work.

She made excuses as to why the boyfriend couldn't do more since she was the breadwinner.

She said they only had one car. Many of us suggested he drive her to work so he had the car in case the kids needed to go to the doctor.

She knew she was being watched and had been written up for missing work, and took the chips because others had done it and paid for them later.

Well they used the chip incident to get rid of her.

She wasn't too bright, and argued with everyone who tried to help her.

She also was going to sue them and her defense was going to be she was fired because her boyfriend was black.

No, you were fired because you missed work a lot and caused grief for others, knew you were on thin ice, and took the chips.

I'm sure there is more to this story as well.

Old 09-11-2011, 10:59 PM

1,230 posts, read 3,175,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Theft is theft. There is no excuese. The woman was not going to go into a diabetic coma for waiting an additional 5 minutes to talk to a supervisor about her health problems, and ask for a break to get a snack out of her purse. Anyone who is diabetic, carries hard candy, or glucose gel in their fanny pack or purse. If she was out of those items, she needed to request to purchase an item prior to opening it and eating it.

But, of course, I thought that the woman who sued McDonalds for spilling hot coffee in her lap was an idiot too...
While I am not commenting on the woman's firing. I am commenting that there is obviously a lot to diabetes that you are not aware of. My husband has been diabetic since he was 7 years old and yes he can drop quickly and without even knowing it to a very low (unable to fully function) blood sugar. Yes he typically does carry a coke with him but depending on the job he may not have immediate instant access to it...thus he lets everyone he works with know about his condition so they are aware what to do if he needs help.

Old 09-11-2011, 11:04 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post

??? She won. She was smart.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:24 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,052,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
This isn't uncommon at all.

Years ago when I was a retail manager we had a guy who was doing all kinds of goofy things to get out of work such as building "forts" out of merchandise that he would hide in to avoid helping customers. We knew what he was up to but could never catch him at it. Finally he got a bag of hard candy and started eating it without paying, so we used that as an excuse to fire him.
Sounds like fun.

It would be even better if he jumped out of the fort when the customer wasn't looking, and ask if they needed help.

Retail does tend to drive people insane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment