Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 06:02 PM

41,881 posts, read 74,938,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Right, and she made the correct decision, but that does not mean that her employer has to also support that choice. He made a business decision.
A pretty heartless and stupid one, one that I hope comes back to bite him in the ass.

The story didn't say what she did at the company, but surely her job couldn't have been so specialized that her boss couldn't have found a temp?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 06:24 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,574,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
A pretty heartless and stupid one, one that I hope comes back to bite him in the ass.

The story didn't say what she did at the company, but surely her job couldn't have been so specialized that her boss couldn't have found a temp?
I saw her on the news, it was some type of office work. So a temp could have been brought in.

The news crew was thrown out of the company when they asked for an explanation. That's OK they made sure to mention the name of the company and film outside the building for all to see.

She also mentioned she had trained new employees who came in.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:08 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,094,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I worked with someone who kept having all of these legitimate medical issues, deaths, dealing with a disabled child, and she kept missing work...and I had to do her work, plus my own. It got to a point, where ... I could not keep up.
Was there any way a temp could have been brought on to help during your co-workers absences? Also, some employers know that an employee is going to have these issues for an extended length of time and they find someone who is flexible that they can come in on the time when needed (on call). We had something like that in a previous company I was employed.

Old 09-14-2011, 06:02 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,603,077 times
The Philadelphia mom who lost her job after donating a kidney to her son has been put back on full salary until another position opens up at her company, MyFoxPhilly reported Wednesday.
The boss, Kyle Berry
initially told MyFoxPhilly that he had no comment, and the company said that it was within its legal rights to lay off Rendon.

On Tuesday – just a day later – Berry said that he was wrong.

“We had time to reconsider. It was simply a mistake," Berry told MyFoxPhilly.

Pennsylvania Mom Who Lost Job After Donating Kidney Is Put Back On Salary | Fox News

"We had time to reconsider." Either that, or go out of business.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:09 PM

10,105 posts, read 19,349,683 times
Well, that's the way it goes!

We knew some people, the son was dying from cancer, Mom took FMLA to be with him. FMLA is UNPAID leave, BTW, except she could continue on the group insurance. Well, the day the FMLA ran out, they sent her a certified letter, she was canned. Well, then, guess she had plenty of time to spend with her dying son. Oh, also, she even lost the life insurance she was carrying on her son through her job.

It sucks, how dare a mother take time off to be with her dying child?

Anyone I've ever known who has taken time off work with the FMLA has lost their job, they don't want you back if you have family, health issues, etc.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:10 PM

10,105 posts, read 19,349,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I saw her on the news, it was some type of office work. So a temp could have been brought in.

The news crew was thrown out of the company when they asked for an explanation. That's OK they made sure to mention the name of the company and film outside the building for all to see.

She also mentioned she had trained new employees who came in.

Power of the media!

Old 09-15-2011, 05:36 PM

819 posts, read 1,588,633 times
Not everyone who has taken FMLA has been fired. I am living proof of that!

Old 09-16-2011, 09:42 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,580,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post

We knew some people, the son was dying from cancer, Mom took FMLA to be with him. FMLA is UNPAID leave, BTW, except she could continue on the group insurance. Well, the day the FMLA ran out, they sent her a certified letter, she was canned. Well, then, guess she had plenty of time to spend with her dying son. Oh, also, she even lost the life insurance she was carrying on her son through her job.

Anyone I've ever known who has taken time off work with the FMLA has lost their job, they don't want you back if you have family, health issues, etc.
Yep, I was also 'canned' the day after my FMLA leave was over. They didn't even have the decency to call or send me a letter... I had to call the company 800 number to find out because all my higher ups were ignoring my calls.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:22 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,631,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post

Actually couple things here.

FMLA does not apply to this company about this woman. The company was too small.

FMLA is not required to be unpaid leave. My company pays some of the weeks of FMLA depending on the reason. Everyone gets two weeks paid and then depending on the reason for FMLA it goes to an unpaid status or continues as paid until short term disability kicks in and then that lasts for a good year before long term disability kicks in.

I should add we have hundreds each year who take FMLA or STD and return to their jobs. Yes there are times where they have been RIF'ed as well as others in their group and others management has legitimately decided to no longer save the job. I personally knew two in this situation and it was a convenient protocol that they had been waiting for to get rid of the people due to their performance and other issues.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:32 AM

2,279 posts, read 3,965,725 times
Companies/managers who operate like this are POSes in my opinion. It's like when I asked my supervisor about how she liked to handle time off for doctor's appointments with her team and she came back with some shrill, passive aggressive, bitchy response.

I really do hope that these managers/companies experience some form of repercussion, such as a brain drain and exodus of talent for treating employees as nothing more than cogs in the machine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment