U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 09-13-2011, 09:44 PM

2,665 posts, read 1,804,637 times
Default Homeland Security Careers in TSA, ICE, HSI or others

I live in NYC metro and getting my education now. What are some of the anti terrorism, intel analyzing/gathering careers that I could get into without the need for relocation or travel? I know NYPD has a counter terror unit, but I'd prefer FED level. FBI and CIA makes you move a lot though, and I wanna stay local. What about TSA? I heard people say they are boring, but they have Air Marshalls and VIPR teams.
Also I was interested in ICE and HSI. ICE (Immigration Customs Enforcement), HSI (Homeland Security Investigations). Are these considered prestigious comparing to FBI and other special services? I originally come from Russia so maybe they can use my language and a different perspective. (US citizen)

http://www.youtube.com/user/wwwICEgov#p/u/2/rUDGdK29SIE

Last edited by OleSchoolFool; 09-13-2011 at 10:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 10-03-2011, 11:33 AM

749 posts, read 822,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolshoi View Post
I live in NYC metro and getting my education now. What are some of the anti terrorism, intel analyzing/gathering careers that I could get into without the need for relocation or travel? I know NYPD has a counter terror unit, but I'd prefer FED level. FBI and CIA makes you move a lot though, and I wanna stay local. What about TSA? I heard people say they are boring, but they have Air Marshalls and VIPR teams.
Also I was interested in ICE and HSI. ICE (Immigration Customs Enforcement), HSI (Homeland Security Investigations). Are these considered prestigious comparing to FBI and other special services? I originally come from Russia so maybe they can use my language and a different perspective. (US citizen)

wwwICEgov's Channel - YouTube
I doubt any of the federal law enforcement agencies are going to hire you and guarantee that you will stay in NYC. NYC will be one of their largest field offices, but alot of the assignments are based on seniority and skill level. They want their best people around major targets like NYC.

The National Security Agency will allow you to gather intel and conduct research, and you will probably be working in New York, Maryland, or Virginia (based on what I've seen in the past). You most likely would not be a gun-toting law enforcement officer with them and would be pushing paperwork. Think "cubicles". I believe they are hiring Investigators right now on their website.

ICE may have local positions involving immigration enforcement. I would check www.USAJOBS.gov and leave the description blank and search New York city for location... then scroll through the open government positions in your area. If you are going to apply for federal law enforcement jobs, I would start 1 year before you graduate because the process can (will) take several years.

This is something you will see after college but nobody tells you before you graduate college... YOU DON'T NEED A CRIMINAL JUSTICE DEGREE TO WORK IN LAW ENFORCEMENT. I work with guys who have Art, Science, Business, and other degrees. Your language will help you out. Also, hit up the message boards (Google: securityinfowatch, officer.com, federal soup) to learn more about positions.

Also, if you are in high school or college, get an investigative job right now. Even if you work part time in Loss Prevention or another investigative position, that is better than your classmate who only has a degree and zero experience.

Unread 10-03-2011, 12:04 PM

2,256 posts, read 2,809,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolshoi View Post

wwwICEgov's Channel - YouTube
To add a few things to what Geneyus stated:

Get some pracatical experience now in the security field. As Geneyus more or less said, any experience is better than none. Even if you must work as a screener with the TSA initially, you have your foot in the door. From there, work your way up.

Don't discount the possibility of working for NYPD. You have to start somewhere. Additionally with your language skills in that metro area, I personally feel you would be very valuable to them.

Don't worry about job title prestige. Find what you love and just do it. No job is prestigious if you end up unhappy.

Kepp your nose CLEAN and don't get a single mark on your record. Any negative contact with law enforcement will severely hamper, if not eliminate your chances. Also, if you have any outstanding traffic or parking tickets, pay them off. Also keep your credit up to date and pay off any debts. Watch what you post on Facebook and be sure your "friends" on FB don't post negative material on your page. Trust me they WILL look and scrutinize your Facebook and Myspace pages during the background checks. The local LE background investigations are tough enough. When you apply for a Fed job, esp the FBI and CIA, you will be put through the wringer.

Good luck to you!

Last edited by Gil3; 10-03-2011 at 12:23 PM..

Unread 10-04-2011, 04:00 PM

2,665 posts, read 1,804,637 times
Thanks for detailed replies to everyone.
First off, regarding criminal justice degree-I know I don't have to get it, but it's the only major that keeps me interested enough to keep going to classes so I figure might as well. I know FBI prefers law, accounting and comp science degrees, all of which don't work in my case, especially I hate accounting and comp science programming. I checked ICE, however, and they prefer a cj degree, and it's interesting why they are different in that sense, but I suppose they are kinda different all together. I don't really care about the prestige part, I was just trying to get an idea, but now I am clear on all the agencies, just gotta decide what to focus on. NYPD would perhaps be a good choice, they have so much you can do there, once you do the beat time-people tell me, except that I don't know if I wanna do that beat time like lurking in the crackhead NY projects and giving people bs tickets for nonsense, just cuz its the law. Moreover, there is a lot of politics involved, especially in such a large dept like NYPD, it could take many yrs before I land at the special unit that I prefer or it may never even happen jus cuz someone doesn't like me and I don't have hookups. I might be over dramatic, but I heard a few of these stories. Respect to all the officers, but I don't like the petty stuff, that's why I was thinking something other than the police.
I thought about NSA, but again I am not sure, since they might move me to DC or Maryland or something. I am trying to think now how I can stay and work in NYC immediate area.
Regarding exp.-I will soon be trying to get some sort of internship, not sure with who yet. My university has contacts with places like ICE and FBI so we shall see.
Regarding fb or myspace-I am highly aware of that, and actually kinda concerned, I have a few raw rap tracks posted online here and there, it's not under my real name, and I don't have a fb or an other account under my real name nor pics so hopefully they shouldn't be able to figure the music out, I mean how many songs are out there really. If they do find it and connect the dots somehow, I am sure they wouldn't hire me, it's that bad yes. lol but they won't, unless they hack into my PC or something.
Otherwise I am all good, I am 25, my credit is 750, clean record and everything.

Last edited by OleSchoolFool; 10-04-2011 at 04:15 PM..

Unread 10-04-2011, 07:26 PM

749 posts, read 822,979 times
Good luck with whatever you do.

Last edited by Geneyus; 10-04-2011 at 07:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment