Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 11:50 AM

2,682 posts, read 4,464,929 times

Advertisements

I work in A/R and we are relatively busy. Myself and another guy support our supervisor. He just gave notice and will be leaving. There is a TON of work coming my way.

I know OT is expected and that's fine, however, I am also taking classes online and this is my last semester so the classes are time consuming. What do you guys think is an appropriate amount of OT and how much is too much? I would think 50 hrs a week, with no increase in pay is OK...for a little while....but with my school work that will leave no time for anything else. I need to put in about 3hrs a day for school most days during the week and usually most of the day Sunday.

Plus, they will expect me to come on the weekends, but my gf works nights so the only time I get to see her is Saturday and Sunday I do school.

Also, is there anything I can do before, or lets say a month or two into this if it really requires me to be here 50-55 hrs a week? Such as asking for more money or something.

I know, I'm lucky to have a job and etc etc, but I won't be exploited. This day and age and especially at this organization, I won't get any recognition or any more money. In addition, I'm planning no relocating in January, so I won't be here long. In that case, should I just stick it out...

Just looking for some suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 01:04 PM

9,611 posts, read 21,142,744 times
If you are going to have to put in more hours to get the work done there is absolutely nothing wrong with expecting your pay to increase, especially if it's going to be a long-term or possibly permanent change.

That being said, if you are already planning your exit from the company I probably wouldn't quit if I didn't get it, particularly since you will be leaving the area in a few months.

Old 09-14-2011, 01:07 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,413,997 times
cuss out your boss and tell him what you think of this piece of **** job and his ****ing face and if he thinks you're gonna stick around this ****hole hes ****ing crazy and he better stay the **** out of your way cause you're OUTTA there

Old 09-14-2011, 01:25 PM

3,652 posts, read 4,677,614 times
I think its reasonable to ask if your colleague will be replaced and explain your personal circumstances will make excessive OT difficult. And as mentioned above, if there will be no replacement I think you're within your rights to request increased pay if your workload dramatically increases.

Old 09-14-2011, 02:01 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,155,539 times
I think (assuming you are salaried) that it is very reasonable for you to work 50-60hrs/week for a month or two until things settle down. Asking for extra money because you are working 55 hours is very unreasonable. Many, many salaried persons work those hours full time (despite contracts for 40 hour weeks).

If it continues for longer than two months, I would approach your boss about the situation. If you are planning on relocating in January, I probably wouldn't do anything about it at all. Risking upsetting your boss and potentially not getting a good recommendation (or risking hurting your reputation at your company) is not a good thing. Who knows when you might want to re-apply to the same company.

January is only four months away. Anyone can suck it up and work 70-80 hour weeks for a few months. If you don't like dealing with stretches where you work overtime for a few months for no extra pay, then you should probably not work a salaried job.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:18 AM

Thanks everyone. I'm not opposed to overtime, it's just that I have school and cannot work 70-80hrs!! I have to put in about 15-20 hrs a week for school, might as well sleep here then.

I'm only asking because I was in this situation a before. I worked Saturdays for about 2-3 months to get everything done before we got a new person. I didn't even get a thank you or any type of recognition. It didn't bother me too much at the time because I was moving to a different position in the same company as soon as they hired the new person. Is a little recognition too much to ask for?

I know a lot of people are doing jobs of 2-3 people these days, but I still feel that you teach people how to treat you. If they dump work on you and you take it the first the time without saying a word, they will continue to do so. I feel there is a line between being a team player and taking on extra responsibilities and the employer simply abusing you because they're cutting costs.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:20 AM

BTW, they are hiring a new person, but they have downgraded the position two levels, so we're gonna get someone like a clerk type rather than the CPA we have/had now.

Old 09-19-2011, 03:00 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,204,209 times
4 months is a long enough time that you cant shirk the OT without anyone knowing. Maybe suck it up for a month and then just start leaving after 40 hrs to get what you need to get done. No one will even know until you have already given your 2 weeks and then it wont matter.

As far as recommendations for a new job, find a senior co-worker to give you a recommendation now, as far as your boss all he can do is give your dates of employment and that you worked there, if you find out through the new company that he said something crazy you could sue the crap out of him. You can also just not put follow up contact info on your resume for a new job and just put the recommendations you want them contacting.

The key is knowing when you can get away with leaving work after 40 hrs without it getting to your boss before you put in your 2 week notice because you dont want to get fired. Your school is potentially more important than this job but you cant loose this job just yet so it will be a game of cat and mouse.

Old 09-19-2011, 04:04 PM

17,574 posts, read 45,978,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
BTW, they are hiring a new person, but they have downgraded the position two levels, so we're gonna get someone like a clerk type rather than the CPA we have/had now.
What type of work are you actually doing? A CPA seems a bit much for A/R. I don't mean that as any kind of insult, just not the type of department that usually has being a CPA as a requirement.

Old 09-19-2011, 04:19 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,222,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
Thanks everyone. I'm not opposed to overtime, it's just that I have school and cannot work 70-80hrs!! I have to put in about 15-20 hrs a week for school, might as well sleep here then.

I'm only asking because I was in this situation a before. I worked Saturdays for about 2-3 months to get everything done before we got a new person. I didn't even get a thank you or any type of recognition. It didn't bother me too much at the time because I was moving to a different position in the same company as soon as they hired the new person. Is a little recognition too much to ask for?

I know a lot of people are doing jobs of 2-3 people these days, but I still feel that you teach people how to treat you. If they dump work on you and you take it the first the time without saying a word, they will continue to do so. I feel there is a line between being a team player and taking on extra responsibilities and the employer simply abusing you because they're cutting costs.

Do what's best for you. Heaven knows your company will do what's best for them, without regard for your needs. So work what you can, and if anyone asks you why you are doing only 50-55 hours or so, tell them that you are in school. Come December or when they find your supervisor's replacement, whichever comes first, remind the powers that be of how you went the extra mile. Then, when you don't get any kind of reward for it, leave. Yes, yes, you were going to relocate anyway, but timing is everything if you want to score one for the middle class.

Oh, and keep in touch with the supervisor who is leaving, and get your reference from that person for this job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment