Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 11:07 AM

48 posts, read 140,481 times

Advertisements

So I originally went into college to get into accounting but over time I've realized that it's just not for me. I couldn't live my life in a cubicle doing mundane work, sure they make decent money but do they really enjoy their life? Probably not...

My community college has a program where you get an "Associates in EMS".
It works from EMT-B through Medic. I was considering doing this program and their firefighting program too.

I'm 18, started college when I was 17 though. Am I being foolish for turning down a guaranteed 60k+ job to be a lowly firefighter?

Are there any other EMT/Paramedic/Firefighting guys out there that could tell me what life is like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 11:24 AM

156 posts, read 318,053 times
Not to discourage you, but the government/public service jobs are in short supply thanks to many governments running budget deficits and to add insult to injury, competition for them is fierce. I would stick with accounting if I were you.

Old 09-20-2011, 01:57 PM

29,815 posts, read 24,898,335 times
EMS has a reputation as being low paying, or at least not worth the average wages. It's one of those jobs you do because you love it. That's what I've always been told though. Firefighting seems cool... Your paid whether your fighting fires or sleeping for a 24 hr shift. Pay can be pretty decent. I've know many who have or currently do it and enjoy it. Competitive though, and budget constraints are not helping that situation. On the bright side, most police officers I know recommend this one for a career

Old 09-20-2011, 02:14 PM

810 posts, read 1,763,059 times
Well you definately want to be happy in your job I have had friends that were firefighters and they loved the job. EMT would be a great career but the pay is very low.
You need to do whatever is going to make you happy at the end of the day.

Old 09-20-2011, 02:21 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
I have a friend who tried to do that program. He did the simple ride-alongs and then they recommended he do more of them as his skills weren't good enough to do the next level. He got discouraged and quit. They also told him getting on with the FD was hard as you had to know someone. Here, the FDs send EMTs before the ambulance comes w/the paramedic.

Another choice is military service as a medic. They get preferential hiring later.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:03 PM

I've been considering joining the Army or Navy as a 68W or Corpsman.
I also qualify for the Navy Nuke program, that sounded interesting

Old 09-22-2011, 11:53 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,028,651 times
Lowly? That's funny. In Las Vegas, they have great retirement and make close to 100K per year. And they usually work less than 40 hours a week. I'd take it in a New York second!

Old 09-22-2011, 11:58 AM

I think I just may go for it. Nevermind what my parents think. I'm past that.

My worry is supporting a family later on what everybody says is a lowly salary.

Old 09-22-2011, 12:32 PM

17 posts, read 26,631 times
I worked at a County Fire Department for a number of years (5).
FF usually work 24 hours on / 48 hours off - lots have a small side job for extra money. Usually have good, county benefits. I was/am a Paramedic - always on the med unit, was not crosstrained as a FF. Pay was ok. Gets old getting up all hours of the night, some exciting calls, mostly crap (drunks, drugs, domestic incidents). You're young though, you can deal with it for a while. Usually have both County and a seperate firefighter retirement deal - lots stay for the full 20 to get that.
Also as an EMT/Medic - can work at numerous smaller transport services - some may be 911, some not. Inter hospital transfers, Dr appt for nursing home patients, transport home from hospital, etc. Less pay and benefits than a County, but can be fun.
In less populated areas the local hospital may provide 911 services for the county - so hospital bennies and pay with 911 calls.
It was a fun time but i wasnt going to cross train, so no promotion if non crosstrained as a FF, at least where i was.
Good Luck.

Old 09-23-2011, 07:48 AM

12,107 posts, read 23,274,107 times
There is no guaranteed job waiting for you. Expect to make $10 an hour on a private medic as an EMT, maybe up to $15 an hour with your paramedic cert. Programs like this are cranking out way more graduates than jobs, so don't fool yourself or let a school recruiter fool you. They are in the business of filling seats. There are also many FT firefighters through out the country that make significantly less than 60K a year. You generally have to take a civil service test (and do well on it), and then jump through a series of pre-employment hoops and hope you get selected. This doesn't include all of the lay offs happening around the country. My city hasn't hired FFs in years. I'm not telling you not to pursue it, but you need to open your eyes and have realistic expectations about what you are getting yourself into.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment