Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 10:16 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,577,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Actually, this speaks volumes about your employee style. It's a simple request, "drop by with your resume in hand".

This person is trying to OFFER someone a job. That is NOT the time to start making demands of that person who is trying to GIVE you something.

"You can give me this job but only if you do it on my terms."

LOL!!!!!!!!!! Please.

There's plenty of people out there who have absolutely NO problems getting up out of their beds, getting dressed nicely, getting in to their cars and driving to the place with their well done resume in hand, and following the directions because they want that job.

If you don't want it, that's fine but don't tell someone who is trying to GIVE you something that they are "doing it wrong".

Entitlement much?
It's not about entitlement it is about common sense.

What is going to happen if a few hundred people show up? The OP said they're the only handling this and plans on reviewing resumes on Friday from 9am to 1pm.

The smart thing to would have been go through the resumes and bring in those whose skills fit the job requirements.

This has the potential to turn into a bad situation. All it takes too many people, someone thinks someone cut in front of them, and they have a problem on their hands.

It might be different if 20 people were handling this, but it is just the OP.

Ever hear of crowd control?

The problem may very well be that too many people have NO PROBLEM driving over there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 10:27 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,803,521 times
Although I agree with others that asking them to drop their resumes off in person is a little much, especially for the salary they'd be getting, I agree some people could try harder.

Where I work as an overnight stocker people will show up wearing the most awful clothes, without an interview and ask to speak to the manager, be generally disrespectful toward me and will seriously interrupt my own work continuously until someone comes around to talk to them; at eleven o'clock at night. Seriously people; I can understand you wanting to tell someone in person how much you want the job but you can't at least throw on a decent-looking outfit first?

Old 09-22-2011, 10:51 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,245,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Actually, this speaks volumes about your employee style. It's a simple request, "drop by with your resume in hand".

This person is trying to OFFER someone a job. That is NOT the time to start making demands of that person who is trying to GIVE you something.

"You can give me this job but only if you do it on my terms."

LOL!!!!!!!!!! Please.

There's plenty of people out there who have absolutely NO problems getting up out of their beds, getting dressed nicely, getting in to their cars and driving to the place with their well done resume in hand, and following the directions because they want that job.

If you don't want it, that's fine but don't tell someone who is trying to GIVE you something that they are "doing it wrong".

Entitlement much?
Nope, not entitlement. Just a sense of ethics and a good bit of efficiency. Someone else made a very good point about the OP saying he'd interview people based on whether he likes how they look. That right that puts the OP in the low-rent category in terms of professionalism--as in, there is none.

Old 09-22-2011, 10:55 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,936,526 times
Correct, Yzette.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:14 PM

1,248 posts, read 4,052,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
Although I agree with others that asking them to drop their resumes off in person is a little much, especially for the salary they'd be getting, I agree some people could try harder.

Where I work as an overnight stocker people will show up wearing the most awful clothes, without an interview and ask to speak to the manager, be generally disrespectful toward me and will seriously interrupt my own work continuously until someone comes around to talk to them; at eleven o'clock at night. Seriously people; I can understand you wanting to tell someone in person how much you want the job but you can't at least throw on a decent-looking outfit first?
It is really due to a HUGE sense of entitlement that many people feel they are owed something and many younger people feel that somehow the world revolves around them. Maybe I just 'old' at age 36 but many of these things the OP stated are just general common sense.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:22 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,936,526 times
Did it occur to anyone CSR field is likely to draw young, female apps, and perhaps OP just wants to "check them out"? I formerly worked at Fortune 100 subsid where Sales Manager and CSR manager hired young bartenderesses who caught their eye. Both mgrs were married, btw. We had a Operations manager who seeing them gathered one day, sarcastically told the two mgrs "Very "Healthy" bunch you have here"

Old 09-23-2011, 02:27 AM

1,138 posts, read 3,283,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
A salary of 10 bucks an hour is all the more reason for someone not to go in person. I wouldn't dirty a dry-cleaned suit (that's 10 bucks right there) and spend the gas unless I knew I was going to be interviewed.

Smart job-seekers know that Craigslist is a joke--because it's free. First, it's a haven for scammers who collect your information from your resumes and use it for everything from telemarketing to identity theft. Second, if an employer is too cheap to spring for an ad on a reputable site, that employer is going to be cheap in other ways. That's not to say that legitimate employers never post there, or that every employer there is a tightwad, but it's not a place where professionals or people who want a career-track position go.
Actually Craigslist now requires employers pay a fee of $25.00 - $75.00 per job ad depending on the city.

craigslist | about > help > posting fees

Old 09-23-2011, 03:30 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,128,575 times
I personally dont use CraigsList for anything including looking for employment. The area I live in has had disasterous results from using that site. I think if your looking for a quality person you should use a quality form of communication such as your local newspaper. Its the old adage you get what you pay for.

Old 09-23-2011, 05:12 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,572,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
It's not about entitlement it is about common sense.

What is going to happen if a few hundred people show up? The OP said they're the only handling this and plans on reviewing resumes on Friday from 9am to 1pm.

The smart thing to would have been go through the resumes and bring in those whose skills fit the job requirements.

This has the potential to turn into a bad situation. All it takes too many people, someone thinks someone cut in front of them, and they have a problem on their hands.

It might be different if 20 people were handling this, but it is just the OP.

Ever hear of crowd control?

The problem may very well be that too many people have NO PROBLEM driving over there.
I don't think you've gone nearly far enough with this scenario. With unemployment at such a high rate I'll bet there will literally be hundreds of applicants showing up during those few hours. The OP should most definitely inform the local PD so they're prepared to bring in extra troops for crowd control - and get the barricades set up off to the side in advance.

It would also be an excellent move to rent a couple of hundred chairs, provide some canopy shade if necessary, arrange for free water to be handed out maybe even have a food vendor on hand. Music might not be really necessary but if the crowd does get unruly, some soothing music could help ease the situation - certainly worth at least planning for.

I'm sure I've not thought this through as much as possible but hopefully other posters will add to the suggestions.

Old 09-23-2011, 06:39 AM

3,820 posts, read 9,439,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Did it occur to anyone CSR field is likely to draw young, female apps, and perhaps OP just wants to "check them out"? I formerly worked at Fortune 100 subsid where Sales Manager and CSR manager hired young bartenderesses who caught their eye. Both mgrs were married, btw. We had a Operations manager who seeing them gathered one day, sarcastically told the two mgrs "Very "Healthy" bunch you have here"
If you saw my current CSR's you would know that I don't hire on looks but on ability. When I said the comment about how they look it just meant are they wearing a clean pair of jeans or pants and something more than a t-shirt.

Can't believe that people are fired up because I actually want to hire someone in this economy with a job that provides a decent salary(for our state) and working conditions along with benefits. You may disagree with how I am hiring someone, but you have to agree with my resume assessments. If you want a job in today's job market you better have a killer resume, not one full of grammatical errors, stupid email addresses and 5 pages long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment