Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 04:22 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times

Advertisements

You start with a different branch of the company you was laid off from due to a shutdown and then you get asked by the boss o-f the current company"who else from headquarters do you think would be a good fit here and can hit the ground running?

I'm a little annoyed because they could have gave me a little more money instead of my same salary since they want to bring someone else from the group who was laid off. When I was hired they told me all they could offer me was my same salary. I have to spend more money in transportation to get there and they want to know who do I recommend? I didn't want to mention anyone's name but I did say one person because I didn't want to look crazy. Very annoyed right now and really want to quit because it's just too much of a hassle to get there.

And I really hope this doesn't mean they are going to fire the new person who was hired with me because how can you be fairly judged in only 2 weeks? So it sounds like they are looking to replace the new person with someone more seasoned which would be weird and enough for me to quit and go back on unemployment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 05:06 PM

806 posts, read 2,884,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
You start with a different branch of the company you was laid off from due to a shutdown and then you get asked by the boss o-f the current company"who else from headquarters do you think would be a good fit here and can hit the ground running?

I'm a little annoyed because they could have gave me a little more money instead of my same salary since they want to bring someone else from the group who was laid off. When I was hired they told me all they could offer me was my same salary. I have to spend more money in transportation to get there and they want to know who do I recommend? I didn't want to mention anyone's name but I did say one person because I didn't want to look crazy. Very annoyed right now and really want to quit because it's just too much of a hassle to get there.

And I really hope this doesn't mean they are going to fire the new person who was hired with me because how can you be fairly judged in only 2 weeks? So it sounds like they are looking to replace the new person with someone more seasoned which would be weird and enough for me to quit and go back on unemployment.
Did you beg, ask or demand more money, TVSG? You're now back to being employed, how or why you care about the company hiring someone else is beyond me, and quite honestly you should be worried it's not you being replaced.

Go on, quit...See if you'll get unemployment! For all the moaning and groaning you do, I'm not sure which state suits you better.

Old 09-22-2011, 05:27 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
You surely do take the cake, Big Sol. Not a day (or probably even an hour) goes by that you're not annoyed, shocked or upset by something or the other connected with work or (lately) the sheer trials and tribulations of getting there via public transportation.

You're not happy? That's fine - go ahead and quit. Just do it, don't waste forum pages bleating about it, just do it. Go back on unemployment for as long as it can last and then see how much in demand you really are in the workforce ...

Old 09-22-2011, 05:27 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,899,782 times
For some unknown reason and beyond the comprehension of many of us, they value your opinion. Get over it. Why don't you tell them that you would be happy to work 12 hour days if they'll increase your pay and only bring on a part time person? Hey, win-win right? Better yet, tell them that if they double your salary, you'll do the work of two people and they won't have to hire another person. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Old 09-22-2011, 05:38 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,755,587 times
What's better? : A. Employed
B. Unemployed

Pick one.

Old 09-22-2011, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
What's better? : A. Employed
B. Unemployed

Pick one.
I should have held out for a slight increase in salary because of travel costs

Old 09-22-2011, 06:30 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,212,237 times
"Held out" LOL.....

Old 09-22-2011, 06:49 PM

806 posts, read 2,884,508 times
TVSG, I highly doubt that there's ANYTHING they can do, or offer you, that won't immediately bring you running back here in a crisis state.

I honestly await the day they give you a 100% raise, then see the thread you start, complaining about the raise, asking what to do with all that money, why they didn't do something worthwhile with it like donate it to the poor or homeless, or feed the needy, or buy school supplies for underprivileged children or.....

Hey! Wait a minute! Wrong dream sequence! I'll post the correct one when I find it.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:37 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post

I'd be so happy if I could trade commutes with you ... I spent at least 200 per month on transportation AND it takes at least 2 hours in each direction to get to my jobs.

Your new job is a blessing and it takes time to get used to everything. If you quit, you would NOT be eligible for UI so tread verrrry carefully here ....

Old 09-22-2011, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
I'd be so happy if I could trade commutes with you ... I spent at least 200 per month on transportation AND it takes at least 2 hours in each direction to get to my jobs.

Your new job is a blessing and it takes time to get used to everything. If you quit, you would NOT be eligible for UI so tread verrrry carefully here ....
i realized i'm stuck, damm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment