Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 03:48 PM

165 posts, read 322,912 times

Advertisements

More and more employers are using extreme descretion when it comes to hiring practices.

I've noticed that ALOT of the resumes for people who attended for-profits, don't even get a second look.

Another reason to dissuade folks from attending these schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 03:53 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,132,808 times
I once interviewed at a gigantic for profit education corporation for a role in the Finance department. I asked them during the interview why they are interviewing me and not a graduate from their "university". The interviewer struggled to answer my question and did not really provide an answer. I also asked some insulting questions about their business model and how a lot of their students struggled and my interviewers were visibly uncomfortable and struggled to answer. In any case, I got an immediate rejection LOL.

This should show you that even the people who peddle this crap know that their product is crap since they aren't even interviewing their own graduates!

Old 09-28-2011, 05:11 PM

1,378 posts, read 4,360,705 times
Why did you ask questions guarenteed to irritate them if you really wanted the job?

Old 09-28-2011, 08:09 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,132,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongtimeBravesFan View Post
Why did you ask questions guarenteed to irritate them if you really wanted the job?
The job sounded interesting from the description. I was hesitant about going to the interview because of all the lawsuits the company had but since I was unemployed I had no choice but to go since I needed a job and this one was high paying. Then I had my interview with them and I felt during that they weren't being very honest with me. The VP that I interviewed with said his company is doing a common good for the country and that if it weren't for them, the students attending would be common criminals. For some reason, something snapped inside me during that interview and I decided to ask them questions all about the lawsuits and the doomed business model and the allegations of fraud and misleading advertisements. Was it rational on my part? No, and I admit that but the whole organization pissed me off after I met them so I decided to just embarrass and humiliate them during the interview.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:21 PM

1,378 posts, read 4,360,705 times
If you have serious issues with the school as a whole, its best you didn't go to work for them. It would be hypocritical and it would likely impede you from doing your best work.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:57 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,842,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLBound09 View Post
More and more employers are using extreme descretion when it comes to hiring practices.

I've noticed that ALOT of the resumes for people who attended for-profits, don't even get a second look.

Another reason to dissuade folks from attending these schools.
The CPA firm I worked at before the crash had about 100 employees, all college educated, and not one of them came from DeVry, University of Phoenix, Keller, or any of those other diploma mills. Everyone employed there had a real degree from a real university. It is the same where I am working now.

Employers have always laughed at "for profit schools," and for a good reason. The curriculum is stupidly easy, plus it is overpriced. What a deal.

Old 09-29-2011, 05:31 AM

753 posts, read 1,481,908 times
This is exactly why I got so outraged when these schools came to recruit students at the high school where I taught. To me, they are stealing tax payer money since most of their students are poor and use grants and loans. Then of course, the degree fails to deliver promised income. But any criticism would have been seen as elitism.

We actually had to sit through their spiel at a faculty meeting one time as well. Nothing like a captive audience. It was all I could do to keep my cool. I don't remember ever having to hear a recruiting talk from any actual university, however. I wonder if there was some sort of kick-back involved.

Good for you for putting them on the spot with your questions.

Old 09-29-2011, 06:11 AM

102 posts, read 601,618 times
I never really had an opinion of these for-profit "universities" until I met some of the graduates/students.

I had a coworker that got a PhD from a for-profit; he showed his dissertation to me and it was full of typos and grammatical errors you'd think it was written by a third grader. The major defense contractor I worked for had quite a few people with "degrees" from these places. They would consistently be the most problematic employees in the group.

These places don't educate. They sell false dreams to suckers. Then they flood the workforce with morons. Not much of a service if you ask me.

Old 09-29-2011, 06:28 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,380,095 times
I'm confused about "for profit". Aren't all universities and colleges for profit?

Old 09-29-2011, 06:45 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,420,544 times
Universities, both public like state universities and private like Harvard are nonprofit organizations. That doesn't necessarily mean they don't care about money though.

These places like ITT, Devry, U of P are for-profit. They are in business to get as much money from their unsuspecting students as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search