Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 04:28 PM

3,879 posts, read 8,369,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
It doesn't have to be a secret. But it also goes both ways. Why didn't you ask about it earlier on? Did you have your minimum salary requirements listed on your resume/cover letter?
Are you for real???

I don't know what industry or country you live in but in the US it is discouraged and frowned upon to bring up pay or salary during interviews and to put your requirements on resumes or cover letters unless the employer explicitly asks for it.

See this thread:
Apparently the job market here must not be bad at all

Believe me, I'd GLADLY bring it up and put it on my resume if it were an accepted practice and I wouldn't get eliminated from consideration but it doesn't work that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2011, 05:19 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,893,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
Are you for real???

I don't know what industry or country you live in but in the US it is discouraged and frowned upon to bring up pay or salary during interviews and to put your requirements on resumes or cover letters unless the employer explicitly asks for it.

See this thread:

Believe me, I'd GLADLY bring it up and put it on my resume if it were an accepted practice and I wouldn't get eliminated from consideration but it doesn't work that way.

We are supposed to pay our bills with TEAMWORK SATISFACTION and CUSTOMER SERVICE AWARD PINS/CERTIFICATES.

Wooo hoo!! Who needs MONEY anyway?!!?

Old 09-30-2011, 08:19 PM

6,569 posts, read 11,235,700 times
Quote:
Are you for real???

See this thread:

I'm 100% real. And you proved my point. We don't do that because we'll either price yourself out of the opportunity, or end up severely underpaid because we listed too low a salary.

However, to perserve that opportunity, you risk the potential of wasting time by not showing your cards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
We are supposed to pay our bills with TEAMWORK SATISFACTION and CUSTOMER SERVICE AWARD PINS/CERTIFICATES.

Wooo hoo!! Who needs MONEY anyway?!!?
And Therein lies the issue.... the notion that employers are somehow in existence to simply provide jobs so we can pay bills.

Old 09-30-2011, 09:25 PM

Quote:
I'm 100% real. And you proved my point. We don't do that because we'll either price yourself out of the opportunity, or end up severely underpaid because we listed too low a salary.

However, to perserve that opportunity, you risk the potential of wasting time by not showing your cards.
I'm just following the protocol I've been told. And its pretty clear from recruiters on this board that bringing up money while interviewing is a no-no.

Quote:
And Therein lies the issue.... the notion that employers are somehow in existence to simply provide jobs so we can pay bills.
But at the same token, people generally are applying for jobs to pay bills.

Old 10-01-2011, 12:47 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,893,094 times
Quote:

UMMMMM...
WHY do we work?

SERIOUSLY.
Tell me WHY do we go to jobs? What is the point in searching, interviewing, and putting up with the "work force" if not for the NEED of money? Hmm?

I've always been 100% honest in interviews. "Why do you want to work here". "Because I need a job and an income". Some people look at me dumbfounded, some people smile and say "I appreciate your honesty"

Old 10-01-2011, 05:32 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,627,483 times
Quote:
UMMMMM...
WHY do we work?

SERIOUSLY.
Tell me WHY do we go to jobs? What is the point in searching, interviewing, and putting up with the "work force" if not for the NEED of money? Hmm?

I've always been 100% honest in interviews. "Why do you want to work here". "Because I need a job and an income". Some people look at me dumbfounded, some people smile and say "I appreciate your honesty"
Apparently people are supposed to work for free without need for money. So I guess we can just send the employers our bills and let them pay them.

Old 10-01-2011, 07:39 AM

6,569 posts, read 11,235,700 times
Quote:
UMMMMM...
WHY do we work?

SERIOUSLY.

Look - nothing is free. We all need money. There's no argument about that.

What I'm driving at is this notion that somehow employers exist to serve us with jobs. Almost like we're the consumers ordering jobs off a menu. If that were the case, then yea, I guess the prices should be clearly advertised. But its more the other way around. The employer have a need, and they are shopping skills to fill that need. We, the potential employees with the needed skills are the ones that are trying to win their business.

Why you need the money or how much you need is irrelevant when it comes to pay. Its typically based on how much your service/contribution is worth in that market. In other words, they're not hiring you because you have a mortgage/car payment.

And while your honesty is appreciated - it doesn't necessarily mean that what you're conveying is a good thing. If you're hiring a babysitter - one loves kids, the other simply says... I'm just doing it so I can have extra cash... which one will typically get the job?

Old 10-01-2011, 07:46 AM

Quote:
If you're hiring a babysitter - one loves kids, the other simply says... I'm just doing it so I can have extra cash... which one will typically get the job?
If I were hiring anyone, I'd post the pay upfront and bring it up during the interview to make sure we're on the same page.

I also would not ask stupid questions such as "why do you want this job" because I feel that's worthless. I'd be more interested in what skills they could bring. Just an honest, easy dialogue about how we could help each other, while they earn a paycheck.

Old 10-01-2011, 08:18 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,627,483 times
Well since employers hold all the cards, according to some, then maybe they should just do all the work themselves without help from employees since it is so taboo to ask about wages or even care if you are being lowballed because they don't have the decency to state a pay range.

Old 10-01-2011, 08:25 AM

18,764 posts, read 18,054,457 times
Quote:
If I were hiring anyone, I'd post the pay upfront and bring it up during the interview to make sure we're on the same page.

I also would not ask stupid questions such as "why do you want this job" because I feel that's worthless. I'd be more interested in what skills they could bring. Just an honest, easy dialogue about how we could help each other, while they earn a paycheck.
If you were doing the hiring would you persuade your employees to keep their salaries secret after you hired them or would you allow them to openly discuss their salary? I am not crazy about not knowing what the other worker is making. I would rather see everything right in front of me. I want to know if it is hard work and tenure that got someone their pay or nepotism and favoritism. I would just rather see an honest and open relationship throughout my employment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment