Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 10:59 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,846,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
The reality is that most employers either explicitly or implicitly tell their employees not to share salary information with co-workers.
Correct. Oftentimes it's against company policy to disclose compensation to fellow employees. Noncompliance results in severe punishment and/or termination of employment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 08:20 AM

1,351 posts, read 1,598,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
Correct. Oftentimes it's against company policy to disclose compensation to fellow employees. Noncompliance results in severe punishment and/or termination of employment.
Yep. This is the case where I work. It's explicitly spelled out in our associate handbook.

I don't like disclosing my salary to anyone, not even my parents. The only exception would be a potential future SO.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravityMan View Post
I don't like disclosing my salary to anyone, not even my parents.
I don't mind disclosing mine to people I know very well, but I also respect peoples' privacy. The issue I have with it is the way companies specifically use this policy to manipulate their payrolls. Seems like a socially engineered ploy to get the most work out of their employees for the least amount of money.

But what do I know? I'm just an underpaid nobody....

Old 05-30-2012, 08:43 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,198,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
Why can't we all just be upfront about this? When I got my current job (which was advertised with no pay and it never brought up during interviewing) I was a big stunned when offered the low salary and even more stunned when I found out it was their cap and non-negotiable. I took it but had I known, perhaps I wouldn't have even applied.

Just saying why does pay have to be such a secret?
I think companies that dont openly advertise their salary are ones that are almost certainly trying to low ball, and they figure if they get you in the door, maybe youll be desperate enough to overlook it.

Its exactly why I dont even bother with jobs that dont post a salary range, and I think its perfectly acceptable to ask what it is.

Old 05-30-2012, 12:37 PM
VJP

721 posts, read 1,728,588 times
Quote:
There is a reason for this. If I work in the telecom industry (as I do) and I hire an engineer for $90k in 2012, but the market in 2013 dictates that an engineer needs to be paid $110k and I have a need for a 2nd engineer - I have to get him for $110k. If this was all open, then the other guy might want $110k too, now I've got to find another 20k for him on top of budget for the new guy. When a company is ramping a division or growing a sector, this isn't the easiest thing to do.

The risk here is that I get guy #2 for 110k, and guy #1 will need more pay or might leave. This is a risk the software industry/social media industry faces constantly.

I am a fair boss and if the cash is available in my budget, I would make it right for guy #1, but in the meantime, if they sit around and talk about this, I lose productivity and breed animosity.

These numbers are hypothetical and don't include all the other backend costs for hiring someone (taxes, benefits, overhead).

Old 05-30-2012, 05:57 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times
Quote:
I don't mind disclosing mine to people I know very well, but I also respect peoples' privacy. The issue I have with it is the way companies specifically use this policy to manipulate their payrolls. Seems like a socially engineered ploy to get the most work out of their employees for the least amount of money.

But what do I know? I'm just an underpaid nobody....
Yes. There is a reason that discussing salary is heavily discouraged or strictly forbidden and you can bet it's not for the employee's own welfare.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJP View Post
There is a reason for this. If I work in the telecom industry (as I do) and I hire an engineer for $90k in 2012, but the market in 2013 dictates that an engineer needs to be paid $110k and I have a need for a 2nd engineer - I have to get him for $110k. If this was all open, then the other guy might want $110k too, now I've got to find another 20k for him on top of budget for the new guy. When a company is ramping a division or growing a sector, this isn't the easiest thing to do.

The risk here is that I get guy #2 for 110k, and guy #1 will need more pay or might leave. This is a risk the software industry/social media industry faces constantly.

I am a fair boss and if the cash is available in my budget, I would make it right for guy #1, but in the meantime, if they sit around and talk about this, I lose productivity and breed animosity.

These numbers are hypothetical and don't include all the other backend costs for hiring someone (taxes, benefits, overhead).
I realize that hiring is expensive, but exploitation as a form of risk mitigation seems like an ethical gray area to me. Hiding the market rate for services behind company policy punishable by termination doesn't seem right. I know it's standard and I know there are reasons behind it, but I definitely don't agree with it.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:51 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
Interesting. All federal employees salaries are public information. Everyone knows what you make. Now....some people are able to negotiate higher salary when they start. I worked with a woman who took $20,000 less then me. And then she was mad I was making so much more. Duh. She was just too desperate. I could have cared less, and turned them down until it was enough to get my attention.

Old 05-31-2012, 04:33 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,670,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
jdm2008: This is all well and good however secrecy about pay is not promoted by employers(for the most part) it is mostly that information that is guarded closely by individuals.

Nonsense, if employers wanted employees to know each other's incomes this would be the case. The reality is that most employers either explicitly or implicitly tell their employees not to share salary information with co-workers.
What's stopping you from going up and asking your coworkers their salary? In my case nothing, and in every place I've ever worked for there was no policy forbidding that action. It's not the employers job to share everyone's personal information, it's yours if you so choose.

Old 05-31-2012, 04:52 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,152,805 times
In the UK a company when recruiting is required to give a minimum wage that you would earn if you met the minimum requirements for the job at the end of the first interview, in writing. If they have a set wage for the role then you be told this and if the wage is dependent on experience and/or qualifications you will be informed of the min. and max. wages and what qualifications will receive what pay.

It's not a law but one of those code of practice things and if you ask them they shouldn't refuse to give you the information before the first interview.

Here's a brief rundown of your rights with regards to wages after you get the job:

Contract of Employment

Overview of pay (pay rises, pay cuts, notice pay, etc.)

Just thought you might be interested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment