Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 05:24 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,924,396 times

Advertisements

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/02/op...gewanted=print
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2011, 06:21 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,418,305 times
Default How Do I Use This Info to Guide My HS Aged Son?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
- who thinks he can go to college, take fluffy courses in marketing, and make a living afterwards?

I'm serious. Despite what I have clipping and giving him re: the new competition is the Bangladeshi farmer's son, who used to work in the rice paddy 8 hours a day and study 10 hours a day, and who thinks studying only 12 hours a day is a piece of cake? And who has more of a keenly honed understanding that you don't necessarily "like" something going in that you know nothing about?

And that you actually don't know anything as a typical high school kid having been immersed in the entitled grasp of a willfully ignorant teachers' union mob whilst being processed through what passes for the public school system in the United States?

Old 10-01-2011, 06:26 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,418,305 times
Default How Do I Use This Info to Guide My HS Aged Son?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
- who thinks he can go to college, take fluffy courses in marketing, and make a living afterwards?

I'm serious. Despite what I have clipping and giving him re: the new competition is the Bangladeshi farmer's son, who used to work in the rice paddy 8 hours a day and study 10 hours a day, and who thinks studying only 12 hours a day is a piece of cake? And who has more of a keenly honed understanding that you don't necessarily "like" something going in that you know nothing about?

And that you actually don't know anything as a typical high school kid having been immersed in the entitled grasp of a willfully ignorant teachers' union mob whilst being processed through what passes for the public school system in the United States?

Old 10-01-2011, 08:40 PM

I wish I knew the answer, jane _smith. I fear for his generations future, far more than mine. There are no growth sectors of magnitude, as in the dot.com effect. The growth is minor, relative to what robotics will eventually do, to both blue and white collar. RFID will do to cashiers what ATMs did to tellers. When I book my flight online, as does most everyone, how many service agent jobs annually did that wipe out? Its hard to see even a glimmer of hope.

Old 10-02-2011, 03:34 PM

12,999 posts, read 18,840,942 times
What about the 50's, when bowling alley pinsetters, elevator and long distance telephone operators were automated out of jobs? Somehow enough new ones were generated in the subsequent years.

Old 10-02-2011, 08:04 PM

That was pre global economy, with Japan and Europe still rebuilding.

Old 10-03-2011, 12:04 AM

1,098 posts, read 1,862,831 times
This topic actually gave me something to think about, where technology has always had a large hand in killing jobs. Sure, banks still have tellers but you'd be lucky if there were two active tellers available.

So perhaps we need to find work that wont be directly affected by a computer or machine?

Old 10-03-2011, 02:14 PM

29,692 posts, read 24,759,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackpot View Post
This topic actually gave me something to think about, where technology has always had a large hand in killing jobs. Sure, banks still have tellers but you'd be lucky if there were two active tellers available.

So perhaps we need to find work that wont be directly affected by a computer or machine?
Or you could work on the side of the technology. Machines break down or have problems all the time. You always need people able to get them running again. You always need people to program these machines. You always need IT people. We've killed millions of jobs with this technology, but did generate some high skill, knowledge intensive ones as well... Not as many, but it's not all doom and gloom. Just make sure your on the right side of the equation

Old 10-03-2011, 03:32 PM

454 posts, read 1,240,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jane_sm1th73 View Post

Seems like most college these days is all fluff. I've had many people come into my office with computer science degrees and they basically have no skills. I say no skills because the skills they do have are no where near competent to trust them with designing or building something reliable.

The self-motivated learner beats a college degree any day in my book.

Old 10-03-2011, 03:44 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,964,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a34dadsf View Post
Seems like most college these days is all fluff. I've had many people come into my office with computer science degrees and they basically have no skills. I say no skills because the skills they do have are no where near competent to trust them with designing or building something reliable.

The self-motivated learner beats a college degree any day in my book.
Hey you're the guy who would abuse your employees and pollute the enviornment if it meant more money in your pocket, right? LOL

You didn't go to college. I can tell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment